• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Good answers guys. Neat conversation. Interesting when conventional wisdom is defied.

In reference to his combat strength program- it is needlessly complicated. He has good info but there is a low signal to noise ratio. The quality is not equal to his firearms trainings.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Common wisdom is pad of finger on trigger.

Some schools of thought are now saying put as much finger on the trigger as you can.

What say ye?

Personally I have not even thought about it. I get my grip dialed and let my finger go where it will. That being said, I am not an ace.

I don't think it matters how much finger you put on the trigger as long as the trigger is being pressed rearward and not being pulled towards the palm.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I'm experimenting with this dilemma at the moment because I recently bought a DA/SA Beretta. My most natural grip is with the joint of the finger on the trigger. During dry firing I noticed that I was pulling sideways in DA mode. I got my revolver out and noticed the same thing although I hardly ever shoot DA with it. I tried using my pad but it felt awkward because my finger is angled out and away from the guns and most importantly I barely have the strength to pull the trigger in DA on both guns using my pad. But the pulling off target did stop using the pad of my finger. Now that I'm conscious of the problem, and as I continue to practice dry firing, the pulling while using the finger joint has almost vanished by adjusting my right/left hand holding pressures.

Pad on trigger is for rifles. First joint on finger is for pistols. When I use the pad on my trigger finger, shots go left of target. When I use the first joint on my trigger finger, shots go center of target. This is an even bigger issue with double-action triggers.

Interesting that I am experiencing the opposite. I guess many different factors are involved and it boils down to the person pulling the trigger.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've always just used the tip, and tend to shoot any handgun that is not a 1911 low, and often left. Today I tried putting more finger on the triggers (3 non1911 autos and 1 revolver), and it definitely fixed the left part...almost 100%.:party29: I still shot low.:sad20: It seems like, despite my best concentration, my wrist turns down just as the trigger breaks.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I've always just used the tip, and tend to shoot any handgun that is not a 1911 low, and often left. Today I tried putting more finger on the triggers (3 non1911 autos and 1 revolver), and it definitely fixed the left part...almost 100%.:party29: I still shot low.:sad20: It seems like, despite my best concentration, my wrist turns down just as the trigger breaks.
    Anticipating the recoil..

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Any trick to preventing it...other than just trying really hard not to do it (cause that ain't been working:banghead:)? I used to blame it on the curved, rotational trigger vs. the sliding 1911 type trigger, but I've gotten into guns with nicer triggers and been super focused on not letting my trigger finger influence the rest of my hand...although learning from this thread may indicate that I wasn't doing such a great job of that either:rolleyes:

Ironically, the only other handgun I don't shoot too low probably has the most recoil of all, my .44mag. Maybe I still do it, but the bullet is still in the longer barrel long enough for it to be influenced by the recoil and cancel out my anticipation?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Any trick to preventing it...other than just trying really hard not to do it (cause that ain't been working:banghead:)? I used to blame it on the curved, rotational trigger vs. the sliding 1911 type trigger, but I've gotten into guns with nicer triggers and been super focused on not letting my trigger finger influence the rest of my hand...although learning from this thread may indicate that I wasn't doing such a great job of that either:rolleyes:

Ironically, the only other handgun I don't shoot too low probably has the most recoil of all, my .44mag. Maybe I still do it, but the bullet is still in the longer barrel long enough for it to be influenced by the recoil and cancel out my anticipation?
    Bring a friend.. have them load random dummy round in a mag with live rounds..

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

I have found the exact same thing (including using more finger) ... now here is what I can not explain ... I also drop the front of the gun down ... on training guns that will have no recoil. Apparently I do it on cap guns and air guns as well.

After using the MantisX training set up (which when dryfring has no recoil) I am no longer convinced it is "anticipating recoil".

The only thing that has been suggested to me in the past was to practice with low recoiling handguns so I would learn not to anticipate.

I need to have another suggestion.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have found the exact same thing (including using more finger) ... now here is what I can not explain ... I also drop the front of the gun down ... on training guns that will have no recoil. Apparently I do it on cap guns and air guns as well.

After using the MantisX training set up (which when dryfring has no recoil) I am no longer convinced it is "anticipating recoil".

The only thing that has been suggested to me in the past was to practice with low recoiling handguns so I would learn not to anticipate.

I need to have another suggestion.
    Best way to find out.. video yourself (hands/gun). You prolly can see what you're doing.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't mean to thread jack (well, maybe a little). I essentially did the unknown mag technique to myself today with a few rounds in the revolver and a spin of the cylinder. When the pressure is on like that, I usually perform. When it went "click," it was as though I was dry firing: perfect sight picture (at least to my standards and abilities) throughout, would have been an X :D When it went "Bang," I didn't think that I was startled. The shots were better, but not X's

Out of the Ruger American 9mm, Ruger Redhawk .45acp, Sig P227 .45acp, and S&W M&P Shield 9mm, I actually shot the Shield best. I think it is because it's trigger felt the most foreign to me. Even though I don't have much trigger time with any of these guns (first time on the Sig and Shield, third or so on the others), I kinda had a feel for when the trigger would break on the big ones. The little shield's trigger was lighter than I expected and didn't break where I felt like it "should." A couple of times it DID startle me when it went off, and one of those WAS an X :D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't mean to thread jack (well, maybe a little). I essentially did the unknown mag technique to myself today with a few rounds in the revolver and a spin of the cylinder. When the pressure is on like that, I usually perform. When it went "click," it was as though I was dry firing: perfect sight picture (at least to my standards and abilities) throughout, would have been an X :D When it went "Bang," I didn't think that I was startled. The shots were better, but not X's

Out of the Ruger American 9mm, Ruger Redhawk .45acp, Sig P227 .45acp, and S&W M&P Shield 9mm, I actually shot the Shield best. I think it is because it's trigger felt the most foreign to me. Even though I don't have much trigger time with any of these guns (first time on the Sig and Shield, third or so on the others), I kinda had a feel for when the trigger would break on the big ones. The little shield's trigger was lighter than I expected and didn't break where I felt like it "should." A couple of times it DID startle me when it went off, and one of those WAS an X :D

That's where the "let it surprise you" came from.. lol

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Anticipating the shot has NOTHING to do with finger position or trigger press. It has everything to do with the mind making you push the pistol down to counter the recoil because you are (afraid//nervous, startled, not used to, etc...). Someone would have to press back and slide the finger down to "push" the barrel downward.

The problem is 2 things....

1. Simply not used to a pistol going bang.
    or
    2. Slow fire because you are thinking about it happening.

The correction to #1 is to simply shoot the pistol without worrying about perfect shot placement to condition yourself to get used to it. Much like not giving a crap when brass hits you in the head. That stuff is ancillary to the actual job at hand which is to concentrate on sight alignment. You worry about that stuff, then you are using less attention to alignment.
    Shooting "with" recoil is essential. Make it part of your sight reset and it's not a problem. Shoot, muzzle flips up, reset sight picture as your grip and gravity brings the front sight down.

Correcting #2 is sort of related to #1 correction. Slow static fire demands you pay attention to EVERYTHING. I could almost guarantee when when shooting rapid fire (because you are thinking about taming the pistol from flipping up) or during shoot, move, shoot drills, no one anticipates a shot. Why? Because other stuff is going on and you don't think about it.

Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Maybe not the most clear explanations, but definitely points to think about that WILL make a shooter a better shot.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    That only proves you are doing it. It doesn't help you NOT to do it.
    YES! This!!! (I thought at first) Although I guess I have to find out exactly what I'm doing in order to not do it. I am pretty certain it is my wrist letting the muzzle droop and not my whole arms dropping. Shooting from a rest under my hands was about as low as offhand. Putting the gun itself just in front of the trigger guard on the rest put me pretty much on target

Nope.. it's practice and learning..

Mental game sort of.. ;)

It is definitely mental. I don't flinch or anticipate on rifles (shooting a flintlock helps with that...it's like the unknown mag every single time).

It's true that I don't practice enough, no question. :o but I definitely want to be sure I'm practicing correctly.

I don't know if I have the ability to take good enough video to slow it down and really see what's happening, but it's definitely worth a try. I might have to break down and get some training...

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Another thing- are you talking about being inaccurate during slow fire or more rapid tempo drills?

I find that I can shoot 5 shot fast more accurately than slow. This has to do with the energy involved to hold the gun correctly. Don't overthink.

Get proper grip and sight picture- squeeze away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom