• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have a set of kitchen knives I've been using for 30 years. They were a cheap set I bought when it was all I could afford. I'd like some recommendation on an open stock knife manufacturer that makes a product that holds an edge well. I don't need a full set, since I usually use only 2 or 2 shapes regularly.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    We got a JA Henckels set for a wedding gift 12 years ago. We've put them through hell and they work just as well 12 years later :thumbsup:

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    I have a set of kitchen knives I've been using for 30 years. They were a cheap set I bought when it was all I could afford. I'd like some recommendation on an open stock knife manufacturer that makes a product that holds an edge well. I don't need a full set, since I usually use only 2 or 2 shapes regularly.
    Cutco

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another vote for Edgeworks if you're within an hour of him. That way you can handle nice options and see which ones fit your hand the best.

I like Henkels and Wustof.
    Have been using the same Henkles 5 stars for a decade plus now and they are going strong. Wife is hard on knives and uses them a lot daily. Money well spent for us.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    This brand has no snob appeal, but on the recommendation of one of the associates in the store, I picked up a Calphalon Suntoku from Bed, Bath & Beyond a few years ago, and it's the sharpest knife I own. Easy to sharpen and holds a great edge. Under $40.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    You mentioned open stock...and I agree with that concept, applying across multiple manufacturers. Most of my daily use knives are...

But I also have some of..

Victorinox/Forschner

I trust America's Test Kitchen's reviews and each time they test knives, they end up re-evaluating and re-recommending Victorinox Forschner. I have several of them and have also found them to be quite good, at a fraction of the cost of the Wusthof knives I've purchased.

JoeR

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    To picky back.

How hard is it to sharpen kitchen knives? We have a nice set (don't remember the brand but from Crate and Barrel) and after 4 years they are starting to struggle a bit.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    To picky back.

How hard is it to sharpen kitchen knives? We have a nice set (don't remember the brand but from Crate and Barrel) and after 4 years they are starting to struggle a bit.

No more or less than any other knife; it depends on the type of steel. People have different favorites for sharpening a knife. I've used crock sticks for years and more recently the Spyderco Sharpmaker which is basically the same thing. It's easier to keep a good edge on them by giving them a quick treatment frequently, rather than a major one at long intervals. I think it's less work too.

Again, if you're close to Edgeworks, you can take them in there to have them sharpened, since it sounds like they probably need a lot of work, and then buy something to maintain them yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom