• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Well, the scope on my hunting rifle is officially no good. It's an older Redfield Widefield 3-9x with a gloss finish like this one [http://www.customshopinc.com/content/listings/l0221.html]. The scope is too old to be covered by the current Redfield warranty (company changed ownership multiple times since then). The inner side of the lens has dust or corrosion or something on it, but not moisture that I can tell. Anyway, it affects low light visibility to the point that it has to go.

The scope needs to be Gloss finish because it will be mounted on an heirloom rifle with a gloss blue finish and a gloss stock finish. Even with the older scope in bad shape, this rifle can put 2 in a hole that looks like 1 at a hundred yards.

So, naturally, Leupold is the front runner for scope choices. I'm limited by the mount, and I may be stuck with one of the VX-2 Ultralight 3-9x33mm ($399) even though I don't care for the adjustable objective. Hopefully, I can fit a 40mm objective on there which opens up my options a little.

VX-1 4-12x40mm ($299) I like the magnification
    VX-2 3-9x40mm ($299) Best overall value
    VX-3 3.5-10x40mm ($479 to $570 for Boone and Crockett) Best scope but pricey. Why so much more for B&C?

What would you pick and why? Also, is there a big difference in the glass from VX-1,2,3? Are there any other choices I should be considering?

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I forgot to mention a few details.

Rifle caliber: .270
    Typical range: 100-200yd with some locations up to 400yd
    Typical conditions: Most shooting opportunities are in the 30 minute after sunset window, so low light performance is critical.

I'm all but convinced on getting a VX-2, but I would like to hear opinions on the VX-3 to see if people consider the scope to be worth the price difference over the -2.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    3 has much better coating on the lenses and better adjustments. Get a 2-7. Or a fixed 6x42 if you really want clarity, fov, and eyebox.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Sightron is a good scope however I would get the Leupold,no bs lifetime warranty and they work very well. I've slowly been switching all my scoped guns over to Leupolds.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Well, good news is the objective bell on the original Redfield is 40mm and it has an OD about 1.75in. The 40mm Leupolds are 1.80in, so it will fit. That narrows my choice down to two.

VX-2 3-9x40mm ($299)
    VX-3 3.5-10x40mm ($479 to $570 for Boone and Crockett)

Midway is running a special on them for gift card bonuses and free shipping... but the gloss versions don't qualify for Leupold's rebate that's currently running on VX-3s. An extra $80 bucks off (Factory Rebate) might make me rethink this whole gloss thing.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    In an unexpected turn of events, another solution has emerged. I'm going to keep these models in mind as potential long term answers, so I really appreciate the input from everyone so far.
    Thanks again.

VX-3 3.5-10x40mm ($479 to $570 for Boone and Crockett) Best scope but pricey. Why so much more for B&C?
    Part of the price goes to the Boone and Crockett Club that developed the reticle. It's not very useful for hunting in Maryland. With a 200 yard zero, the cross hairs are for 300 and 400 yards. The windage marks are at 300 and 400.

I misunderstood the windage feature and bought a B&C scope for my pre-81 Browning .308 Win lever gun -- in gloss. It looks good, but I never use the B&C features.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    OLD THREAD RESURRECTION

Gloss scopes have been disappearing across the product offerings of manufacturers for years now. Leupold seems to be the last holdout, but even there you're looking at only certain select models of their VX-1 and VX-2 lines. Beyond that, and if gloss rather than matte finish is desired with their other model lines, they're still available and I'm guessing will likely continue to be available on special order. But you're then looking at the Leupold Custom Shop, and a $100.00 up charge.

Been with interest that I've watched the last of the gloss VX-2 3x9x40's disappear from many of the big supply houses over the last few months. Leupold is of course changing a number of their product lines, and has been discounting their older offerings generally.

Just your standard no frills old school yesteryear hunting scope here. But if you have (or intend to have) what today might be called an "heirloom" hunting rifle, as in walnut and polished blued steel, and one that just screams out for a decent gloss optic? I'm pretty sure that this may well prove to be the very last of the Leupold gloss discounted prices. Thinking there's maybe someone else here who might want to consider making a move.

14% off and free shipping at Optics Planet. Search for VX-1 or VX-2 as desired.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/u-spce...lybf112317&pdata=465a432f64746e422f6d76676348

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom