Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 10th, 2020, 10:48 PM #1

SB 35 and SB 38 ?

Doing my due diligence before educating the. Public , making sure I'm not missing anything .

SB 35 - In definition of * Crime of Violence * , Distribution of CDS , and Intent thereof , would be treated the same as any other Felony While Armed , instead of having a specific carve out . Anything else I'm overlooking ? For that matter wouldn't that be a positive change ?

SB 39 - Adds Andersen Mfg AM-15 in .223 and .300 by Name to the Evil List .

Huh ? Is there somthing unique and/ or rulebending about these rifles ? Are these typical AR pattern rifles ? Is there somthing about the name Andersen that is offensive to Democrat sensibilities ?

And while I'm keeping up to date , what's the up to the minute status on the HPRB Veto Override ? Anything happen ? What does the timeclock lok like ?
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 12:08 AM #2

HPRB Veto override discussion here: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=234273

#WeWillNotComply
PowPow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 05:12 PM #3

On SB35, why would it be positive? People get charged with intent to distribute all the time when they are arrested with more than an individual serving size of drugs.

Beyond that, it isn’t a violent crime. One thing if you are arrested armed and in possession of an amount that indicates you are likely a dealer or courier or drugs. But unarmed? There are dealers who are completely non-violent and we shouldn’t be trumping up charges.

Agree or not, probably 10% of US Citizens have been marijuana dealers at some point in their life because they sold a friend $100 of pot or something.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 05:13 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
On SB35, why would it be positive? People get charged with intent to distribute all the time when they are arrested with more than an individual serving size of drugs.

Beyond that, it isnít a violent crime. One thing if you are arrested armed and in possession of an amount that indicates you are likely a dealer or courier or drugs. But unarmed? There are dealers who are completely non-violent and we shouldnít be trumping up charges.

Agree or not, probably 10% of US Citizens have been marijuana dealers at some point in their life because they sold a friend $100 of pot or something.
agreed.
Smith and Wesson Collectors Association
SOTAR Alumni

3paul10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 05:52 PM #5

The anderson lowers are the cheap kind that that you can get for $30 before transfer. One local store I know had a whole shelf of them and was doing a "buy any pistol get a lower" sale so I have several. Perhaps a Democrat walked into a store, looked at the boxes, and said to themselves "that looks like a good gun to ban in order to further my career!". It probably does not help that those boxes were the only firearm in the store that you could read the name of without picking up.
geda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 06:02 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geda View Post
The anderson lowers are the cheap kind that that you can get for $30 before transfer. One local store I know had a whole shelf of them and was doing a "buy any pistol get a lower" sale so I have several. Perhaps a Democrat walked into a store, looked at the boxes, and said to themselves "that looks like a good gun to ban in order to further my career!". It probably does not help that those boxes were the only firearm in the store that you could read the name of without picking up.
The Dayton Ohio shooter a few months back used an Anderson AR pistol. There was an article about Frosh being appalled that they werenít banned in MD and wants them to be.
GolfR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 06:18 PM #7
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR View Post
The Dayton Ohio shooter a few months back used an Anderson AR pistol. There was an article about Frosh being appalled that they werenít banned in MD and wants them to be.
Oh, Good Lord.
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 07:55 PM #8

As currently defined , commiting ANY Felony while armed is classified as. * Crime of Violence * , except for CDS distribution . Insider stock trading , digging a ditch 5 feet too close to wetland , etc while armed counts , and they're non violent. No reason to give drug dealers preferentially treatment ahead of every other non- violent felon .

The argument can also be made that the illegal drug trade in its entirety is inherently causing violence , and even if the particular armed drug dealer isn't doing so at the moment of arrest , they are still in support of overall violent industry .

Now , if we want to comprehensively reform this , we need to just remove the entire section dealing with " commit felony while armed " , and keep it to the enumerated specific offenses .

( And real legalization would greatly decrease the inherently violent nature , but that's a seperate hot button endless debate .)
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 08:09 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR View Post
They are banned.

The rifle as a copy of the Colt AR-15.

The pistol by virtue of not being on the handgun roster list.
Old January 11th, 2020, 08:19 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblas View Post
They are banned.

The rifle as a copy of the Colt AR-15.

The pistol by virtue of not being on the handgun roster list.
Itís is on the MD handgun roster. AM-15 in 300 BLK is approved. This is what pissed Frosh off.
GolfR is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues