Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 14th, 2020, 07:18 PM #2581
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
Fired up a new to me Icom 7300 last night. Made my first HF contact in probably 15 years on 40 meters to Italy on about 25 watts and a crappy wire.

FUN! So cool to put something out there and have a far off station come back.

Still seems like magic every time.

I need to get my tower and beam up this summer.

KD4VMM
Can I get a QSO with you so I can say I worked Antarctica?

I need it for Worked All Continents.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:42 PM #2582
Grumpy

Grumpy

Quote:
Fired up a new to me Icom 7300 last night. Made my first HF contact in probably 15 years on 40 meters to Italy on about 25 watts and a crappy wire.

KD4VMM
Cool contact. I meant to ask you about that unit after told me you picked it up. What did you do, shoot a long wire through the trees there?

I'm still unpacking my stuff after the move. Found some of my shack, but I need to get to work on getting some antennas up. I do have a vertical HF that I might stick on a pole just to get something going. See if I can bounce a wave your way.

Are you working Friday? I'll be in the state for the weekend, and in building for most of the day Friday.

Yak at you soon!

K3DCX

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
tourrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:02 PM #2583

Quote:

KD4VMM
Congratulations! I hope you like the 7300 as much as I like mine, and I still haven't figured out all it can do.

I finished my tower last summer and it and the A4S I put up made a big difference, but my wire still works great.

Have fun!

K3MSP

"Cogito, ergo amatum sum."
Lt. Col. David Grossman

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H. L. Mencken
Winged Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:54 PM #2584
Lighten up Francis

Lighten up Francis

Excellent. Well done.

Quote:

KD4VMM
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 08:49 AM #2585
YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
Can I get a QSO with you so I can say I worked Antarctica?

I need it for Worked All Continents.
Ha! Sure!

Actually, my 'amateur radio claim to fame' was working HF two nights out of the Palmer station shack as KD4VMM/KC4 back in the early 2000's. I made hundreds of contacts in a matter of hours. It was intimidating to work such a massive pileup with almost no HF experience.
Antarctica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 08:53 AM #2586
YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourrider View Post
Cool contact. I meant to ask you about that unit after told me you picked it up. What did you do, shoot a long wire through the trees there?

I'm still unpacking my stuff after the move. Found some of my shack, but I need to get to work on getting some antennas up. I do have a vertical HF that I might stick on a pole just to get something going. See if I can bounce a wave your way.

Are you working Friday? I'll be in the state for the weekend, and in building for most of the day Friday.

Yak at you soon!

K3DCX

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hey retired guy!!

Yeah - my other rig is an Icom 706MKIIG and I had an AH-4 tuner that I used when I used to live on a boat in Cali. So I mounted the tuner to the house and strung a wire from it up to a tree out back.

Put something up and lets see if we can make a contact to your northern outpost!

yes, I'm in the radio factory this Friday. Need some OT to pay for all this shit!
Old January 15th, 2020, 09:04 AM #2587
YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Pig View Post
Congratulations! I hope you like the 7300 as much as I like mine, and I still haven't figured out all it can do.

I finished my tower last summer and it and the A4S I put up made a big difference, but my wire still works great.

Have fun!

K3MSP
I really didn't need it - the 706 I have is a fine radio (fine enough for my needs), but I wanted to start running some WSJT-X, and the way to do it was with a USB signallink at $135. I also wanted to tap the IF for an SDR to run HDSDR for a panadaptor, but didn't like the way you have to do it on a 706.

I looked online and the 7300 was $850 or $899 with rebate, and just made an impulse buy.

I stuck an SMA version of the INRAD RF tap in it last night along with a splitter. The splitter feeds an RTL SDR which drives HDSDR on the PC. You just click on the HDSDR waterfall where you want to receive and the radio tunes there. Also, if you take the audio from HDSDR, you can drop a notch filter any where you want it and cut the audio filter any way you want. You're still taking a 3db hit on the RF sensitivity, but 99% of the time, I won't care.

I have a 50 foot Rohn and a TH7DX beam with a rotator laying out back. Maybe this will motivate me to get them up in the air this year.
Old January 15th, 2020, 09:56 AM #2588

Quote:
I really didn't need it - the 706 I have is a fine radio (fine enough for my needs), but I wanted to start running some WSJT-X, and the way to do it was with a USB signallink at $135. I also wanted to tap the IF for an SDR to run HDSDR for a panadaptor, but didn't like the way you have to do it on a 706.

I looked online and the 7300 was $850 or $899 with rebate, and just made an impulse buy.

I stuck an SMA version of the INRAD RF tap in it last night along with a splitter. The splitter feeds an RTL SDR which drives HDSDR on the PC. You just click on the HDSDR waterfall where you want to receive and the radio tunes there. Also, if you take the audio from HDSDR, you can drop a notch filter any where you want it and cut the audio filter any way you want. You're still taking a 3db hit on the RF sensitivity, but 99% of the time, I won't care.

I have a 50 foot Rohn and a TH7DX beam with a rotator laying out back. Maybe this will motivate me to get them up in the air this year.
That's impressive. I still have yet to do anything other than use the 7300 for stand alone SSB, but what your doing sounds pretty interesting! I may have to give that a try.

That's a big antenna! I am using a free standing aluminum tower and it would not support something that size. I suspect your set up will work great.

I purchased everything I have as a package from an older gentleman who had bought it all and then never installed it. He was moving and just wanted it gone, so I lucked out. Still cost me more than I thought I would have to spend though. LOL Live and learn.

I hope you post some pics of your progress.

Good luck!

"Cogito, ergo amatum sum."
Lt. Col. David Grossman

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H. L. Mencken
Winged Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:28 AM #2589
YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Pig View Post
That's impressive. I still have yet to do anything other than use the 7300 for stand alone SSB, but what your doing sounds pretty interesting! I may have to give that a try.

That's a big antenna! I am using a free standing aluminum tower and it would not support something that size. I suspect your set up will work great.

I purchased everything I have as a package from an older gentleman who had bought it all and then never installed it. He was moving and just wanted it gone, so I lucked out. Still cost me more than I thought I would have to spend though. LOL Live and learn.

I hope you post some pics of your progress.

Good luck!
Driving the radio via HDSDR is the way to go. You can see everything that pop's up on the band and just click on it to tune the radio.

I picked up the tower, rotator and antenna a few years ago for $300 on craigs. The antenna needs about $200 in parts, and I'll need anchors, cable and concrete for the tower pad and guys, so probably another $500-$1000. So yeah I'm in same boat having to spend more than I paid for the stuff initially!

I'd really like to have it all up and running in case anyone makes it to Bouvetoya in the next few years.
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:32 AM #2590
Grumpy

Grumpy

Quote:

Hey that's cool. I tapped into the 1st IF on my FT897D for SDR panadaptor. Also running digital of this radio.
tourrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland