• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Are you confusing the post-2013 MD HBAR rules with NFA? No requirement for HBAR on pistols or SBRs. HBAR is required for MD AR15 Title 1 rifles made today (in addition to 16” OAL barrel).

I was thinking of a 14.5 barrel pinned and welded to over 16 inches with one of the muzzle devices that are slim enough for you to slide the gas block over them so I would have to consider barrel profile. Not sure about OP.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Are you confusing the post-2013 MD HBAR rules with NFA? No requirement for HBAR on pistols or SBRs. HBAR is required for MD AR15 Title 1 rifles made today (in addition to 16” OAL barrel).

Nope. 10/1/13 does not apply to SBRs nor Pistols, as you said. The pinning and welding is for those with pre-banned guns in PRM and those who live outside the wire in the USA, both needing a 16"bbl.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a 20” RRA rifle and a 16” HBAR barrel I assembled onto an upper receiver. They both shoot very well.

At times, on sale, you can get a RRA HBAR 16” barrel assembly with delta assembly, barrel nut, front sight base and threaded muzzle for under $175.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I'm afraid not. I put mine on SBRs and pistols.

Brownells confirmed that the14.5 colt SOCOM barrel, Mfr Part: SP65054, is marked “heavy” on the sealed colt bag. Coincidentally, that is the same Mfr Part # as the barrels you recommended and linked in this post.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    RRA doesn't make barrels. They buy them.
    I don't know who makes their CM barrels, but their SS heavy barrels are made by Wilson and are VERY accurate.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Brownells confirmed that the14.5 colt SOCOM barrel, Mfr Part: SP65054, is marked “heavy” on the sealed colt bag. Coincidentally, that is the same Mfr Part # as the barrels you recommended and linked in this post.

Hmm, OK. If you say so. Mine was not, but things change.

The whole Hbar thing is a giant boondoggle. Anyone looking at the 14.5" SOCOM barrel will see a heavy barrel, whether it's stamped as such, or not. :shrug:

In my case, all my 16" and longer ARs are pre-ban. All my SBRs are built on post 10/1/13 lowers.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Allow me to necro-thread a bit...

I haven't bought a barrel since the HBAR requirement started up. Are the SOCOM profile barrels HBAR? I've read that they are and I've read that they aren't.

Helping a buddy do his first build.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics