• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone who's been, what's it like? Seems like the focus is more on hunting and fishing, outfitters, etc. Up my alley, but curious if its equal parts gun show, or if I shouldn't expect any typical "gun show" vendors (okay, I can skip the ones selling fudge and 27,000 Chinese knives and swords). Just curious if I can roll in my "looking for some mags, maybe window shopping used guns/C&R deals and pick up some reloading supplies" in to the show. Or of I should plan to go to the Gettysburg show the weekend (two?) before for that.

Thanks.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I've attended a couple times. It's mostly national vendors like gun manufacturers and outfitters with a few small vendors. Not very much like a "regular" GS. Be warned, in addition to the admission fee, parking is $10 (at least it was last year).

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The gun show portion consists primarily of manufacturers showing their wares. It’s almost all hunting and fishing related.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I've been once and don't remember much if any guns for for sale. Its a mix of manufacturers, gear, lots of guides, plus the usual misc. crap vendors. Oh, and there was a mini RV/ prefab cabin show attached the year I went.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    The Great American Outdoor Show is like no other. If all you are looking for is powder and bullets don’t waste your time going.

The show utilizes the entire Farm Show Complex. One area has, as already mentioned, the firearm and ammunition manufacturers.

There is a section filled with archery. Sections for camping and clothing. Then there is the waterfowl section, gear and calls. The boating section has boat builders and engine manufacturers. There is a large section dealing with fishing supplies.

Looking for what the new trucks will look like, it’s there. Vehicle accessories. ATV manufacturers. Camping trailers.

One of the largest areas is filled with outfitters. If you can think of a place to hunt or a game animal, there will be someone there. Whether it is African game or white tails on the Eastern shore, it is there. Outfitters come from all over the world for this show. Many of them book their entire years’ worth of business at this show. Just to look at the trophy mounts on display can take hours.

The is a similar section for booking charter boat trips.

Now for the down and dirty. If you go to the show buy the tickets online, it saves time at the door. To save parking and time. There is free parking in the Cabela’s lot and free shuttle buses that take you to the front door. The weekends are a madhouse. The best days are usually midweek.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    If you or one of your buddy's that are going have a vehicle with handicap tags or a hanging placard, take that vehicle. I will save you a lot of walking or even taking a shuttle bus.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If you or one of your buddy's that are going have a vehicle with handicap tags or a hanging placard, take that vehicle. I will save you a lot of walking or even taking a shuttle bus.

Better yet just park in the fire lane.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As what has already been mentioned, there are also seminars that are free. If any topics suits your fancy feel free to attend.

Archery equipment abounds; along with camping, fishing, boating, recreational equipment of all kinds (to include trailers and RVs), and travel adventures to be booked. If you are looking for guns, you need to go somewhere else.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    We go every year, it's a favorite because it ISN'T a "gun show". There are a lot of bulk ammo, reloading component and parts/accessory dealers, no actual firearms are sold, but many manufacturers have demo units on the floor for the public to handle with factory reps to answer questions. There are a lot of other "outdoor" products and things for sale too. For parking, is is free at Bass Pro, and free coach buses run all day.

I go every year. It's much more than just a "firearms/hunting" show. If your into fishing or a few other outdoor activities it's a great time. Expect to be there all day to see it all and I recommend going on a weekday if you can. Weekends are very crowded....OH and take your check book or credit card. Plenty of stuff to buy

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

Helpful Hint: Get there early. The handicap parking area fills up very quickly.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I go every year. It's much more than just a "firearms/hunting" show. If your into fishing or a few other outdoor activities it's a great time. Expect to be there all day to see it all and I recommend going on a weekday if you can. Weekends are very crowded....OH and take your check book or credit card. Plenty of stuff to buy

Weekdays are much better.
    I get lost there every time... so much to see and do!:party29:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    As was suggested, you won't (or better not :nono:) walk out with any firearms you didn't bring in...but I bet you could stand in line to finger a new Colt Python:innocent0

In the past, Taylor's has had a lot of their pretty reproductions out to play with, too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys, especially the shuttle tips.

I want to go for a heck of a show. Just wondering if there is any “gun show” involved to kill two birds with one stone. Doesn’t sound like it, but that’s alright.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My son and I went last year for the first time. It was pretty crowded but we had a great time. I think my favorite thing was the raptor demonstration. It was very interesting, I learned a lot.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I went last year for the first time. It was a bit overwhelming. Little bit of everything. I thought (probably wrong) that along with all the vendors (Colt, Geissele, Magpul, etc) there was a regular gun show. I know I came home with a bag full of stickers and other swag. Maybe I'm confusing it with the regular Harrisburg gun shows. Either way, it was cool enough to go back this year too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom