• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I use events like the current situation as a learning event. I was in the exact same boat in 2012/2013 as some are now. Had very little ammo on hand, never considered there being a real shortage where I couldn't find it. I learned that handgun and black rifle ammo can take a year or more to recover from a buying frenzy. 22LR can take almost 5 years.

Well, my attitude changed. During that period I bought what I could find, even overpaying some of the time. But in the long term, I learned from my ignorance and during subsequent "good times'' I bought it cheap and stacked it deep EVERY time I could afford it and found it.

I set up a system that worked for me, buying consistently every payday as soon as ammo started to reappear at normalish prices. Moving up to buying by the case from places like Targetsports (free shipping!). Supplemented by one-off events like the WM Perfecta Rollback in 2015 and the WM Evil Ammo Selloff in December 2019 really helped to increase the stockpile. I now have peace in the chaos.

One thing I did not do was come here to whine and bemoan my situation. I didn't try to shame or ridicule those who did prepare and call them ammo hogs or price gougers. I did not disparage capitalism or the free market. I simply learned from MY MISTAKE and adjusted my strategy and you can too. I realized a better way to prepare. And the value of "making hay while the sun is shining". This is not directed at those in this thread who are newbies and learning this for themselves the hard way. To the big govt/regulation/"fair" profit guys....learn and adjust or turn in your guns and take up knitting. You ain't gonna make it long-term.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I use events like the current situation as a learning event. I was in the exact same boat in 2012/2013 as some are now. Had very little ammo on hand, never considered there being a real shortage where I couldn't find it. I learned that handgun and black rifle ammo can take a year or more to recover from a buying frenzy. 22LR can take almost 5 years.

Well, my attitude changed. During that period I bought what I could find, even overpaying some of the time. But in the long term, I learned from my ignorance and during subsequent "good times'' I bought it cheap and stacked it deep EVERY time I could afford it and found it.

I set up a system that worked for me, buying consistently every payday as soon as ammo started to reappear at normalish prices. Moving up to buying by the case from places like Targetsports (free shipping!). Supplemented by one-off events like the WM Perfecta Rollback in 2015 and the WM Evil Ammo Selloff in December 2019 really helped to increase the stockpile. I now have peace in the chaos.

One thing I did not do was come here to whine and bemoan my situation. I didn't try to shame or ridicule those who did prepare and call them ammo hogs or price gougers. I did not disparage capitalism or the free market. I simply learned from MY MISTAKE and adjusted my strategy and you can too. I realized a better way to prepare. And the value of "making hay while the sun is shining". This is not directed at those in this thread who are newbies and learning this for themselves the hard way. To the big govt/regulation/"fair" profit guys....learn and adjust or turn in your guns and take up knitting. You ain't gonna make it long-term.

Excellent post. Thanks for summing up the situation.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD

Well played

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Will they if online purchasing ends :/

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000173-782a-d3de-ab7b-783b9b650000

Ending the Epidemic of Gun Violence 3
    4 Gun violence is a public health crisis in the United States. Nearly 40,000 people die annually
    5 from guns—devastating countless families, friends, and communities. Addressing the gun
    6 violence crisis requires supporting evidence-based programs that prevent gun deaths from
    7 occurring in the first place, including by making mental health care more accessible, funding
    8 interventions to reduce homicides and gun violence in neighborhoods, and strengthening
    9 protections against domestic violence. Democrats will also ensure the Centers for Disease
    10 Control and Prevention have sufficient resources to study gun violence as a public health issue.
    12 Democrats will enact universal background checks, end online sales of guns and ammunition,
    13 close dangerous loopholes that currently allow stalkers and some individuals convicted of assault
    14 or battery to buy and possess firearms, and adequately fund the federal background check
    15 system. We will close the “Charleston loophole” and prevent individuals who have been
    16 convicted of hate crimes from possessing firearms. Democrats will ban the manufacture and sale
    17 of assault weapons and high capacity magazines. We will incentivize states to enact licensing
    18 requirements for owning firearms and “red flag” laws that allow courts to temporarily remove
    19 guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others. We will pass
    20 legislation requiring that guns be safely stored in homes. And Democrats believe that gun
    21 companies should be held responsible for their products, just like any other business, and will
    22 prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from civil liability.

People should just ignore those laws and sell/buy ammo online anyway.

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020

Big freaking thumbs up. If there were an upvote button I would be smashing it.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV

I was only in early HS during the 2013 frenzy, but my uncle was telling me that in some places a 50round box of 22lr was going for over $100 a box. I couldn’t ever imagine it being that expensive Back in January when I bought like 3,000 rounds for $80 and now I can’t even find a 50 round box for less that $6-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I was only in early HS during the 2013 frenzy, but my uncle was telling me that in some places a 50round box of 22lr was going for over $100 a box. I couldn’t ever imagine it being that expensive Back in January when I bought like 3,000 rounds for $80 and now I can’t even find a 50 round box for less that $6-7.

the market for 22LR in 2013 and afterwards cascaded to match level product as well - it became very hard to support jr rifle clubs (and their athletes) given that cases of 'better' ammo were running ± $1000.

Many athletes shifted to the air rifle as a result as lead pellets were much more available and far less expensive.

with YoungestShamr0ck now in college and getting her ammo from the coach, I haven't priced match quality 22LR since last year - but if you REALLY need some and can't find mainstream options you can check places like

Champion's Choice
    Champion Shooters Supply
    Creedmore
    Killough Shooting SPorts in TX (Eley test range location)
    International Shooters Service in Fort Worth.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    the market for 22LR in 2013 and afterwards cascaded to match level product as well - it became very hard to support jr rifle clubs (and their athletes) given that cases of 'better' ammo were running ± $1000.

Many athletes shifted to the air rifle as a result as lead pellets were much more available and far less expensive.

with YoungestShamr0ck now in college and getting her ammo from the coach, I haven't priced match quality 22LR since last year - but if you REALLY need some and can't find mainstream options you can check places like

Champion's Choice
    Champion Shooters Supply
    Creedmore
    Killough Shooting SPorts in TX (Eley test range location)
    International Shooters Service in Fort Worth.

Thanks I will have to check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom