• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    There were only 4 at the Eldersburg WM, but perhaps other stores have them marked down as well.

Regular $88, marked down to $50.

25 year shelf life, the ones I checked were packed in January 2021, so they should be good through the collapse of civilization in 2040.

Attachments

• 20220127_172446.jpg
      20220127_172446.jpg
      78.3 KB · Views: 427

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I have several brands and types of similar food buckets. There are cheaper options and perhaps better tasting options but I have buckets from Wise, Mountain House, Ready Wise, and others (MRE military type food packets). I bought them during the whole Covid beginnings where many of us thought the end of the world was just around the corner and MDS would have a "Long Pig" recipe thread in addition to the usual gun stuff and Epic Funny Picture threads, etc..

I have the Mountain House Veggie, Pasta, Meat, and fruit buckets and it is quite a bit of food, though the serving portions are aggregated in kinda large pouches in some cases making one have to prepare mebbe more food than you might need if it is only one or two of you.

Some of the dishes taste really good, and for emergency food, or to make for variety with regular food you may have while it lasts the buckets are kinda nice to have for variety. Also for camping, etc..

Anyway, the above is a great price. Shelf life is awesome.

You can do better and cheaper of course, but the buckets and everything just there is the convenience you are paying for. I keep the buckets in closets, storage spaces, etc... I also have my pantry, with regular food stuffs as well as fairly plump neighbors and lots of hot sauce and spices/meat tenderizers, etc.. if things get out of hand.

Gourmet? no.. If you're hungry, it is better than other "survival food", high calorie biscuits, etc..

Yup.

Attachments

• food.jpg
      food.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 412

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    *****I have several brands and types of similar food buckets. There are cheaper options and perhaps better tasting options but I have buckets from Wise, Mountain House, Ready Wise, and others (MRE military type food packets). I bought them during the whole Covid beginnings where many of us thought the end of the world was just around the corner and MDS would have a "Long Pig" recipe thread in addition to the usual gun stuff and Epic Funny Picture threads, etc..

I have the Mountain House Veggie, Pasta, Meat, and fruit buckets and it is quite a bit of food, though the serving portions are aggregated in kinda large pouches in some cases making one have to prepare mebbe more food than you might need if it is only one or two of you.

Some of the dishes taste really good, and for emergency food, or to make for variety with regular food you may have while it lasts the buckets are kinda nice to have for variety. Also for camping, etc..

Anyway, the above is a great price. Shelf life is awesome.

You can do better and cheaper of course, but the buckets and everything just there is the convenience you are paying for. I keep the buckets in closets, storage spaces, etc... I also have my pantry, with regular food stuffs as well as fairly plump neighbors and lots of hot sauce and spices/meat tenderizers, etc.. if things get out of hand.

Gourmet? no.. If you're hungry, it is better than other "survival food", high calorie biscuits, etc..

Yup.

Which food were you eating when you started to notice the extra foot growing? I might want to avoid that. ;)

FYI, you may know already, but Readywise = Wise. I wanted to make sure they weren't a knockoff or copycat. They're not... it seems the company changed their name not long ago.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Looking at their page, their "servings" are less than 250 calories.

So for an average person, not working hard physically, you need 8 servings per day. Not 3.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

So for an average person, not working hard physically, you need 8 servings per day. Not 3.

*****You're right of course, about 8 servings per day at 250 calories for a 2000 calorie diet.

Serving sizes are used to standardize an amount of food for measurement and comparison, etc.. It's used a lot in nutrition and dietetics. Portion size is how much you choose to eat, and for many/most people it tends to be considerably more than a "serving size".

People in general, at least in the US tend to vastly underestimate how much they eat. They think they are eating 1500-2000 calories a day or so, and after measuring actual calories in their diets, it ends up being more than 2x that or more quite often. "Hidden" calories in drinks, calories in snacks, calories in sauces, chips, candy, etc.. adds up very fast.

Some days folks may eat less, some days more but the average over 7-10 days tends to be in a relatively small range for most people.

Anyway, it goes without saying that some dude digging ditches all day is gonna burn more calories than some IT schlub coding 10 hours a day whose hardest physical activity is digesting vending machine food after a double-whopper with cheese, onion rings, and a large Cherry Coke (about 2000 calories in that one meal btw..)

Survival food is kinda just that... I would supplement with Long Pig and BBQ sauce/dry rubs myself if I were still hungry after a few servings of WiseHouse survival foods... :lol:

A couple of scans below from the FDA's nutrition site.

Attachments

• portion.jpg
      portion.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 120
    • serving.jpg
      serving.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 118

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Yeah, I wouldn't plan to eat this for every meal, and I don't trust their 'serving' estimates. The '4 serving' pouches of stroghanoff and pasta alfredo are probably 2, and I would add some kind of beef to the first and chicken to the second. Also, some of the 100 servings listed on the box are deserts and drink mixes.

So you're not getting 100 meals for $50, IMO you're getting ~30 side dishes and ~20 drink mixes for $1 each. Still not a bad deal, but don't plan on this as your only emergency food supply. You'd be sorely disappointed.

This would be useful in addition to a well stocked pantry, full freezer, and a couple cases of MRE's. It adds variety, it's inexpensive, its good for ~24 years, and it takes very little space.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, I wouldn't plan to eat this for every meal, and I don't trust their 'serving' estimates. The '4 serving' pouches of stroghanoff and pasta alfredo are probably 2, and I would add some kind of beef to the first and chicken to the second. Also, some of the 100 servings listed on the box are deserts and drink mixes.

So you're not getting 100 meals for $50, IMO you're getting ~30 side dishes and ~20 drink mixes for $1 each. Still not a bad deal, but don't plan on this as your only emergency food supply. You'd be sorely disappointed.

This would be useful in addition to a well stocked pantry, full freezer, and a couple cases of MRE's. It adds variety, it's inexpensive, its good for ~24 years, and it takes very little space.

Oh heck yes. At some point I’ll get a bucket or two.

I do have a “ready to go” I think 45qt rubber maid tote with about a dozen and a half backpacker meals in it, a couple big packs of ramen, a few bricks of sailing vanilla and cinnamon flavored emergency food/biscuits and about a gallon of water in foil pouches and a few 12oz water bottles I change out annually. The shelf above I’ve got a bunch of freeze dried foods to supplement cooking. butter, eggs, a few types of veggies and some ready wise meal cans and 5 bags of their “72hr emergency kits”. I figure total, not including the ingredients, I’ve got maybe 10 days of 2000 calories a person meals for my family of 5.

Ideally I’d like to expand it to about 3 weeks.

Of course that doesn’t even touch on the probably 3 months of food I’ve got handy between my pantry, fridges, chest freezer and under porch storage room. I mean, I’ve got probably 100lbs of rice handy at any given time.

And doesn’t count all of the barely I have for brewing that you can make bread from or just munch on if you wanted. That alone is a good 200lbs.

But it’s the ready to go food Id like to expand more or less, just stuff I’d rather be able to easy just add hot water and call it a meal that won’t go had any year soon. Mix it in with the real food to change thing up. Or at worst, have handy to throw in the van and go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom