• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, the whole reason he ended up attending a private school was lack of interest from the union 1.5 years ago.
    The Prince Frederick IBEW hall was one of the 1st places we contacted when he graduated from HS,, they were very uninterested. I was very shocked, and disappointed, as he was very interested in the union. I got the feeling we were "outsiders"

Maybe we will give it another shot.

Tell him to look up local 26 IBEW. I would strongly suggest going union. Been in 12+ years been all over traveling (optional) had a lot of fun in my career. Starting pay isn’t bad around $20-$21 a hour now. Full journeyman top out at $50+ in the pocket, not includes benefits, retirement, pension etc. a lot of people I work with are from calvert

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Give me a call if needed. Lots of unions are a narrow minded about unknown callers. So many don’t get the process and walk away in the first year.
    I am Union myself, a recommendation letter helps from a local contractor. I know of a few local firms looking for apprentices or those who want to become apprentices.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I will,
    Thanks

Give me a call if needed. Lots of unions are a narrow minded about unknown callers. So many don’t get the process and walk away in the first year.
    I am Union myself, a recommendation letter helps from a local contractor. I know of a few local firms looking for apprentices or those who want to become apprentices.

schnmbang

Aug 23, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, the whole reason he ended up attending a private school was lack of interest from the union 1.5 years ago.
    The Prince Frederick IBEW hall was one of the 1st places we contacted when he graduated from HS,, they were very uninterested. I was very shocked, and disappointed, as he was very interested in the union. I got the feeling we were "outsiders"

Maybe we will give it another shot.

Have him go to the main hall in Lanham not the satellite offices

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I was non-union for my entire career - pretty much always made at least as much as the Union guys. It was a better fit for my way of working. These days wages & benefits are roughly the same so it doesnt make much financial difference either way.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I contract with lots of tradespeople Every single company I deal with is looking for employees - He can just pick what location he wants to work in an I bet every company in the area would be interested in hiring him. Tradespeople who are willing to work can write their own ticket nowadays.

Also, as a Master Electrician & Statewide Electrical Inspector I couldn't help but notice the lack of conduit supports on the pic of the board.

This. I work as a building engineer and you just can't find qualified people right now.
    Someone with strong electrical training could get in on the ground floor and probably pull 50k right now. Company will pay for classes and OVERTIME to go to those classes.

NBCHUNTER

Dec 7, 2014
    Balto Co
    I was non-union for my entire career - pretty much always made at least as much as the Union guys. It was a better fit for my way of working. These days wages & benefits are roughly the same so it doesnt make much financial difference either way.

I have been on both sides of the fence and I found that non-union could not match the pay or the benefits of the union.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    The kid across the street started with the union 4-5 months ago. He took the test and was walking to his car when a guy stopped him and offered him $32.00 an hour to start.
    There is definitely plenty of demand for employees right now. Trades are a great way to go for a young person right now.

D.77f150

Jun 1, 2017
    Union bridge
    Congrats to him, has he thought about joining the IBEW. They pay for all 5 years of schooling and it counts as college credits.
    Also when he graduates he can take his Union ticket and go anywhere in the U.S he wants to work.

Plus all health insurance and benefits are paid for by the contractor.

D.77f150

Jun 1, 2017
    Union bridge
    Sorry i just saw this post. But work a year and a half ago was good, but not booming. Right now they can't fill job calls and are pretty desperate for help!
    Its all about timing.

big pimpin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 7, 2012
    Eastern Shore MD
    Tell him to make sure he uses every bit of training that company offers him all the way thru getting his masters license

That’s exactly what I did with the company I started with until I changed careers 17 years ago

Still have my master license with MD

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Just seeing this thread, but a very good friend of mine is President and part owner of Freestate Electric. I could put you in touch for your son if he may still be in need. https://www.freestateelectric.com/

I don’t work for Freestate, but they have been a good customer of mine over the last year. Based on everything I have seen and heard from the perspective of one particularly LARGE job site (LC2), they are a great place to work. I’m a fan of their PM and his team on this project.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Tell him to make sure he uses every bit of training that company offers him all the way thru getting his masters license

That’s exactly what I did with the company I started with until I changed careers 17 years ago

Still have my master license with MD

And to save every piece of paper showing completion of the training courses.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    When the drive, traffic, parking, red light/speeding tickets, dues and unsavory Union politics get old, the company that has most of the largest Electrial projects in Southern Maryland locked down is always looking for good guys. Not to mention that your hard earned money isn’t going on to be donated to the political party that is fundamentally against most everything most working men believe in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom