• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drawshot1975

Apr 3, 2021
    SoMD
    Aside from my very brief introduction thread, yesterday... I figured there was no better way to slide into MDShooters than to ask yet ANOTHER mags-related question. (apologies, in advance)

So....if I'm reading 4-305 correctly (from the 2020 session), the two exemptions to the 10-round mag capacity are:

1. Tubular mags for a 22LR rifle.
    2. Current LEO and retired LEO at the federal/state/local levels within the state...who retired in good standing...etc, etc.

If #2 applies, are their online vendors who work with that excepted customer...provided documented proof is available and given? Or is the default response, CONUS-wide, that nobody will ship to a MD buyer, as the majority of the population is NOT exempted?

I would imagine the list of willing vendors is exceptionally small, anyway...but thought it was worth asking.

Alternatively, with that same documented proof, personal sales between two exempted persons within the state is legit?

Thanks for any insight you fine folks may be able to provide!

DS

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    From what I have seen most mag companies won’t mess with shipping to MD period. The exception is if you qualify for #2 some (really depends on your FFL) will ship the standard capacity mags that come with a new firearm purchase.

drawshot1975

Apr 3, 2021
    SoMD
    From what I have seen most mag companies won’t mess with shipping to MD period. The exception is if you qualify for #2 some (really depends on your FFL) will ship the standard capacity mags that come with a new firearm purchase.

Well.....for in-state firearm purchases, that would be great! I prefer the standard load magazines that come with manufacturers such as Glock (17 and 19)....and happen to be a fan-boy of Glock products, anyway.

I have no high level of expectation that out-of-state vendors would make one-off exceptions to SOP...but any sliver of hope would be nice to hang my hat on.

Not opposed to driving across the bridge to VA, I suppose...but I've been told some places there are all too happy to "boost their profits" when selling to MD customers, in-store. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen.

DS

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I haven’t checked in a bit, but gunmagwarehouse works with LEOs. Most states have exemptions for current (and occasionally former) LEOs. Don’t know their process. I think you email them a copy of your ID.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Brownells will.. In the past I have ordered firearms from them that have come with greater than 10 round capacity. In an effort to speed up the process I leave a comment in the order section to either pull the magazine or my receiving FFL can alter it to take care of the capacity issue. That never gets through to them and they end up calling/email asking for a copy of my (non existent) LE credentials referencing MD stupidity or offering to pull the magazine..

There are stores in SOMD who will also sell them with proper credentials.

JKN891

Nov 26, 2020
    JKN891

The MagShack in Florida will ship to those retired LEO in Maryland who provide proper paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom