• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yesterday afternoon a friend and I went and saw Charlie Maloney to have him look over some Garands we recently purchased.

My friends 1954 SA checked out fine. He did end up having Charlie do a trigger job.

My 1943 SA needed the rear sight spring cover changed and Charlie did not like the way the bolt fit the gun so he swapped it out for a HRA which he said fit perfectly. I was a little bummed because the rest of the gun was pretty much correct with SA parts. Charlie tried the handful of SA bolts he had on hand but used the HRA because it fit the best (perfect head space). I also elected for a trigger job.

Overall he said both guns were in great shape with excellent barrels and did not recommend any further work.

Charlie is a wealth of knowledge and experience. Anyone with a Garand should take the opportunity to have Charlie go over it while he is still able. In addition to his experience he had gauges and tools older than he is which I doubt you will find anywhere else.

Inspection, trigger job + sight spring cover was $90 well spent (per rifle). Charlie just swapped my bolt for one of his and kept mine which he said would probable fit another gun just fine he just did not like the way it fit my barrel/receiver.

Attachments

• 161297098_10225403911873443_1255519745685298859_n.jpg
      161297098_10225403911873443_1255519745685298859_n.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 590

warmachine

... AS LONG AS THEY FEAR
    Jan 20, 2013
    FOB PUFFY
    He did several of my Grandson and M1As. He truly an expert in his field. And yes his art is going to be missed when he no longer available. To watch him do a trigger job is amazing.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    How can someone get ahold of Charlie? Once mine arrives from CMP i would like to have him take a look.
    Thanks,

In my opinion, it's less of a concern when you buy a CMP rifle. These have been checked out by knowledgeable armorers already. You get a muzzle and throat reading when you buy them.

I sent mine to Charlie because it was an import that bypassed the CMP and its history was totally unknown. Don't let me stop you though, it's only $45 to have him give it a once-over and you can also get his competition trigger job, which the CMP most definitely does not provide.

If you just want a safe shooter, the CMP report on the rifle should be sufficient.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    In my opinion, it's less of a concern when you buy a CMP rifle. These have been checked out by knowledgeable armorers already. You get a muzzle and throat reading when you buy them.

I sent mine to Charlie because it was an import that bypassed the CMP and its history was totally unknown. Don't let me stop you though, it's only $45 to have him give it a once-over and you can also get his competition trigger job, which the CMP most definitely does not provide.

If you just want a safe shooter, the CMP report on the rifle should be sufficient.

FWIW, Mine was a 1943 CMP Service grade with a bolt that didn't fit correctly. My Buddy's 1954 CMP rear sight was not properly fitted. According to Charlie, CMP's quality control has slipped over the past couple of years.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    FWIW, Mine was a 1943 CMP Service grade with a bolt that didn't fit correctly. According to Charlie, CMP's quality control has slipped over the past couple of years.

I was going to mention that. Charlie told the same to me last fall. He has seen some real lemons come out the the CMP. Some he said a couples should not have been released but parted out.
    That said, like anything, you can get a real gem or a lemon.

Last edited:

Sirex