• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 20ravens52

Mar 21, 2016
    Long Green
    Due to the continued assault on our gun rights I finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase an M4 style rifle. I picked up this seemingly pretty solid rifle build over the weekend. They're built somewhat locally in Mechanicsburg, PA and the forum search here yielded no results. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?

HD Revelation Technical Specifications:
    Stock: Black 6-Position Locking and Collapsible Rogers SuperStoc
    Receiver Extension: 7075 Aluminum USG MILSPEC Contract
    Handguard: 15″ Hybrid Free Floating Handguard
    Metal Finish: Type III Class II Hard Coat Anodized
    Muzzle: A2 Flash Hider
    Receiver Material: Forged 7075 Aircraft Grade Aluminum
    Sights: Optics Ready
    Barrel Description: 16″ 4150CMV 1:7 Twist Melonite Coated Mid-Gas WYLDE/5.56 NATO Chamber
    Bolt Carrier Group: High Precision M16 Bolt Carrier Group with Melonite Coating and MPI Inspected Bolt
    Trigger: Made from 8620 Steel Investment Casting then final ground as per MILSPEC

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The big question is who is their supplier. Have seen expensive builds with BCA and Davidson Defense crap for parts, have seen moderately priced stuff with Aero and a couple in-house manufactured things. The more buzzwords they use, without actual specs or manufacturer, the more leery I am.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    There are alot of rifles like this popping up these days... with it being near impossible to stock well known factory rifles, shops are beginning to assemble and sell their own complete rifles (or by someone "local"). Nothing inherently bad about them, and perhaps some are excellent, but there are a lot of unknowns here. A simple list of parts/specs doesn't tell the whole story, especially for the shops that aren't willing to share where said parts came from. Additionally, it makes me wonder who is assembling these rifles... a qualified gunsmith or some shop owners kid or helper in the back that watches too much Garandthumb.

The fact that it's at least a melonite barrel is a good thing. It really bothers me to see complete rifles being sold at a premium with the unlined BCA crud barrels. But not all nitride barrels are good, either. Nitride will do a great job of trapping and "fossilizing", for lack of a better term, imperfections of the bore. I've seen Nitride barrels with significant burrs at the gas port that would have likely otherwise lapped itself smooth with barrel break in.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Due to the continued assault on our gun rights I finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase an M4 style rifle. I picked up this seemingly pretty solid rifle build over the weekend. They're built somewhat locally in Mechanicsburg, PA and the forum search here yielded no results. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?

No but I am really curious to hear some range reports. Reason being I know there are positively some top-notch small scale “build shops” out there but, it’s during market cycles like this one that I recall another MDS member’s thread containing his cautions about how market cycles like this one are ripe for lesser quality parts and completed assemblies flooding the market.*

Typical of market cycles like this one (conditions including but not limited to panic, crazy inflated prices, low inventory, gun-banner anxiety, etc.) I get sporadic calls or texts from friends, neighbors and acquaintances who’re either online or in a gun shop and looking at some off brand AR “for a great price” and, “What do you think?”

(Lately there seems to be a sh*t-ton of AR’s out of “Turkey” and “Czech Rep.” filling local gun shops shelves, where top tier names sat just 6-12 months ago ...

I always tell ‘em, “if it’s a great price right now it’s only because the top tier brands are selling at a premium and that’s for a reason - Caveat Emptor!!!!” And I’ll take a moment and run down just a few issues that often arise and after which they will possibly have spent the same or even more on fixing than they would have, pre-panic, on that top shelf brand and model, either new or used ....

OP, if your rifle turns out to be flawless for 500 or so rounds please let me / us know ...

* In the mean time, one of these days I need to find that thread ...

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    No but I am really curious to hear some range reports. Reason being I know there are positively some top-notch small scale “build shops” out there but, it’s during market cycles like this one that I recall another MDS member’s thread containing his cautions about how market cycles like this one are ripe for lesser quality parts and completed assemblies flooding the market.*

This is a true statement. But what I have found is that there has been little to no variation in pricing from top tier parts manufacturers like BCM and Daniel Defense (emphasis on parts, not complete rifles), but Anderson, PSA, even Radical (cringe) have skyrocketed.

Aero has gone up alittle, but to me Aero quality is justified. They were really the first to market explicitly to builders, so they deserve to have the demand that they have right now.

So my advice for getting an AR? Build something with parts sourced by only the premium brands, because right now your total build will only be a few hundred more VS going with the known bargain brands, but you will have a much better rifle to show for it.

In January of 2020 you could build a high quality bare-bones AR around a Ballistic Advantage barrel for around $600. Currently that same rifle is about $1000 in parts.

Yet I can currently build an ultra quality AR around a Criterion barrel, BCM bolt, quality stock and handguard for around $1300, which is nearly the same as it was before 2020.

Keep in mind this is a bare rifle not including optics or sights.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I would use the work "assembled" more so than built or made. I know, semantics...

Turkish and Czech ARs, where?

I have a $50 Stoner barrel that is a solid 2 MOA barrel. Can't complain really.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I would use the work "assembled" more so than built or made. I know, semantics...

Turkish and Czech ARs, where?

I have a $50 Stoner barrel that is a solid 2 MOA barrel. Can't complain really.

So much BGOS in this one.

Well according to google they are all synonyms of each other. Somebody, call the cops!

If this is what keeps you up at night......

Also, I have an unlined BCA barrel that shoots well... it was a takeoff from an old rifle and I accumulated enough spare parts to make a complete rifle :D. It headspaces fine and has never malfunctioned, but there are still so many better options. Plus, lots of known legit QC problems that are not just cosmetic. BCA had a run of barrels that were labeled 5.56 chambers but only cut to .223 dimensions. That is a problem.

Attachments

• Build.JPG
      Build.JPG
      30.7 KB · Views: 329
    Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Using 5.56 heavy bullet ammo raises pressures because of the shorter throat lead. I’ll hand the remainder over to the others that are more AR affluent. Published or not, the potential for mishap was (is) there.

newb14

Feb 23, 2021
    This may seem like a dumb question, but is it designed for a 5.56? Its like a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square. You can shoot .223 in a 5.56, but it could be disastrous shooting a 5.56 in a .223. I haven't been able to find any literature on this gun as to which it is designed to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom