• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rootytootyshooty

Apr 12, 2019
    Hi all,

Last year, I had Hanover Armory assemble an AR-10 for me. Pretty sure they used LMT BCG.

They said it would need a break in period - but there's issues with the cycling. More specifically, FTE. Not sure if I'm using too heavy a buffer, or there's a problem with the BCG. It will fire, but not eject the round.

I'm using Aguila 150 gr. .308

Would it make sense to burn more ammo trying to get this to cycle to "break it in" or take it to a gunsmith?

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    No experience with ar10s but a fair amount with ar15s. The first three things I would try in order would be: try a different ammo maybe some hotter ammo would run the gun and "break it in " a lil faster, if it has an adjustable gas block try adjusting to a more open setting, and third try a lighter buffer. If none of that works you can also try a a lighter weight bcg in combo with the lighter buffer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Oftentimes that can be attributed to the ejector spring(not extractor spring) being too strong. Some people are able to overcome this by snipping a coil or two off the spring. Sounds like the gun should still under some kind of warranty?

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I would try some different ammo before you make any changes to the rifle. I would also make sure it is cleaned and greased. I would also check to see if it has an adjustable gas system. If so, you could try adjusting it to provide more gas to the system. It should function reliably, without having to make any modifications, with a standard buffer and a wide range of ammunition.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hi all,

Last year, I had Hanover Armory assemble an AR-10 for me. Pretty sure they used LMT BCG.

They said it would need a break in period - but there's issues with the cycling. More specifically, FTE. Not sure if I'm using too heavy a buffer, or there's a problem with the BCG. It will fire, but not eject the round.
    Is the fired case staying in battery, or is it coming half way out? Is it trying to feed another round or no?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Ballistic Advantage 16" rifle length HBAR

Stag Arms .308 rifle buffer tube

That should be a mid length gas barrel, not rifle, should run well with a 5.5 oz buffer and proper rifle spring giving decent mags and proper lube. Problem with diagnosing is that you can get similar issues with brass not clearing the ejection port from both under and overgassing. Aguilla isn't all that hot, and BA tends to have smaller ports, so unlikely to be really overgassed, but adjustable gas blocks can be really useful on AR10s, cuts recoil and can function better. Check headspace and talk to Hanover first,, BA barrels can have tight headspace. Would first see if the bolt locks back on an empty mag by hand, binding springs or the wrong buffer can shorten the stroke so it can't lock. Then try firing 1 round, should lock back, if so you should have enough gas, if not might be a leak, restriction, misaligned gas block or weak ammo. If it locks, I would pull the bolt apart and see if there is a Burr on the ejector or extractor, make sure you have 2 o-rings and an intact spring on the extractor.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    Take it back for rework or inspection, let them burn their ammo getting it to run. You start Fudding the rifle and it still won't run you have a high chance Hannover will tell you tough luck when you finally go back under warranty.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    I had an AR10 a while ago that would do exactly what you are describing with any .308 ammo. Switched to 7.62x51 military ball stuff and it functioned fine. I might try that first before messing with much else.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    my guess is a gas issue. I would take off the gas block and check alignment. might have installed it off a little bit and port may be partially obstructed. this, combined with an undersized gas port could cause under gassing to the point where round won't eject. check your brass, is the casing all torn up where the ejector grabs onto it? if that checks out, check gas tube. is it timed correctly to mate with the gas key? take some weed whacker string and insert it down the gas key and wiggle until it makes its way into the bcg. if you can't get it to clear into the bcg (might take some wiggling), that could be the issue. may not have drilled the hole in the gas key or bcg). Do the easy things first. can mitigate undergassing with a lighter buffer / spring setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom