• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RJG202

Jan 15, 2016
    Eastern Shore
    Question, if one has a C&R License will the State Police consider a Designated Collector Permit? Or is a HQL license required first? Asking for a friend moving to the state. He may eventually go for HQL.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Question, if one has a C&R License will the State Police consider a Designated Collector Permit? Or is a HQL license required first? Asking for a friend moving to the state. He may eventually go for HQL.
    No license of any sort required. Just a desire to be a collector, send a letter, pass a background check.

And it's not a permit, just a letter.

Jul 1, 2012
    I thought MSP wasn't issuing the Designated Collector letter now unless you had at least one regulated firearm?
    I don't think that firearm has to be in the "it's not a registration database (wink)" 77r list, just have a S/N available.
    But if someone had the FFL-03 and no regulated firearms yet, it wouldn't hurt to put down they had the C&R license.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I thought MSP wasn't issuing the Designated Collector letter now unless you had at least one regulated firearm?
    I don't think that firearm has to be in the "it's not a registration database (wink)" 77r list, just have a S/N available.
    But if someone had the FFL-03 and no regulated firearms yet, it wouldn't hurt to put down they had the C&R license.

That's always the way it's been. They said you can't be a gun collector without possessing a gun

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Maryland minutia: Even thru regular 77r, C&R eligible handguns do not require HQL, its only required for guns newer than 50 years old.

Jul 1, 2012
    Maryland minutia: Even thru regular 77r, C&R eligible handguns do not require HQL, its only required for guns newer than 50 years old and not explicitly on the ATF 5300.11 C&R List

... there's stuff made after 1970 like CZ.82, Russian/E.G. Makarov PM, Manurhin PP's, Mauser Luger reissues, Walther P1/P38 issued to military or police, all Colt Woodsman, Colt 1911 commemoratives etc etc. which are exempt from the HQL due to C&R status.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If your friend is moving to the state, I believe he will have to register his regulated firearms with the state. At that point, the state will be in a position to issue him a collector's letter. The letter merely removes the restriction on buying more than one regulated foream in a 30 day period. (There is a process wherein he can buy 2 such firearms, but would be restricted from buying another for 60 days).

If he intends to get an HQL to buy modern firearms in MD, he will be able to bypass the instruction portion if he already owns regulated arms. If he is only interested in C&R, he doesn't need an HQL.

If he doesn't plan on buying more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period, he doesn't need the letter.

Friends don't let friends move to Maryland.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The initially did not approve mine because I had not purchased a "regulated" firearm in Maryland since the 80s and there was no place on the form requesting C&R license information. When I called to inquire and told the woman that I had an 03FFL, she approved it.

Seems like they do not know their own requirements on occasion.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If your friend is moving to the state, I believe he will have to register his regulated firearms with the state. At that point, the state will be in a position to issue him a collector's letter. The letter merely removes the restriction on buying more than one regulated foream in a 30 day period. (There is a process wherein he can buy 2 such firearms, but would be restricted from buying another for 60 days).

If he intends to get an HQL to buy modern firearms in MD, he will be able to bypass the instruction portion if he already owns regulated arms. If he is only interested in C&R, he doesn't need an HQL.

If he doesn't plan on buying more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period, he doesn't need the letter.

Friends don't let friends move to Maryland.

Sometimes they gotta.

But a good reminder that all regulated firearms have to be registered in MD within a period of time of moving in (easy search to find, I want to say 30 days). Its a free voluntary registration through MDSP e portal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    By voluntary I just mean you aren't doing the background check 77r, so you don't pay the $10.

Jul 1, 2012
    By voluntary I just mean you aren't doing the background check 77r, so you don't pay the $10.

I believe you still use the 77R, that's why part of its form title is "Voluntary Registration" (subject of much derision) and refers to:
    "TRANSFEREE (PURCHASER) / VOLUNTARY REGISTRANT INFORMATION" etc.

From MSP website:
    "As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.

The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered."

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I believe you still use the 77R, that's why part of its form title is "Voluntary Registration" (subject of much derision) and refers to:
    "TRANSFEREE (PURCHASER) / VOLUNTARY REGISTRANT INFORMATION" etc.

From MSP website:
    "As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.

The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered."

Huh. Thought it was a no cost 77r registration.

Did they up the cost to $15?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Appreciate the thread, even though I already have my MD designated collector status there was a lot of very useful info presented. My thanks to all who contributed!

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I am filling out my designated collector application and I have not purchased any regulated firearms before, only C&R rifles. Will it get denied if I don't purchase one first?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am filling out my designated collector application and I have not purchased any regulated firearms before, only C&R rifles. Will it get denied if I don't purchase one first?

Likely yes. Do you at least have your HQL?

It may have changed, but per this thread and when I asked back in the day when I got my designated collectors letter, you needed to give MSP the serial number off at least one regulated firearm or they weren't likely to give it to you.

I can't say as to the accuracy as I wasn't denied. Hard to prove it unless you've experienced it.

When I got my DC letter, I had an AR lower I had bought on a 77r and used the S/N off that when applying for my DC and I got approved and the letter about 30 days later. At worst, buy one handgun or something else on a 77r and once no disapproved, then apply for your DC.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Likely yes. Do you at least have your HQL?

It may have changed, but per this thread and when I asked back in the day when I got my designated collectors letter, you needed to give MSP the serial number off at least one regulated firearm or they weren't likely to give it to you.

I can't say as to the accuracy as I wasn't denied. Hard to prove it unless you've experienced it.

When I got my DC letter, I had an AR lower I had bought on a 77r and used the S/N off that when applying for my DC and I got approved and the letter about 30 days later. At worst, buy one handgun or something else on a 77r and once no disapproved, then apply for your DC.
    I haven't gotten my HQL as my own little protest but I feel like I am going to need to....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I haven't gotten my HQL as my own little protest but I feel like I am going to need to....

Do you have a C&R handgun you can give them a serial number off?

If you don’t have a regulated firearm or any sort they aren’t likely to consider you a collector yet. Until you do own at least one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom