Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 21st, 2020, 02:57 PM #11

OP, if you are working for a max accuracy node, do the OCW charge method. The big thing to remember is that you can change powders and associated burn rates to help you get the load you want. I believe that it is roughly 85% case capacity is what you aim for.

223 loves varget. I am sure that 308 has something similar that a lot of ppl have found. I would start w that powder.

If you are trying to do long range accuracy, figure out if your twist rate can handle the 175s. If so, I would stick w those due to the higher bc. If not, figure out what you are trying to accomplish. Remember that TMKs and SMKs will stabilize differently.

I would work through the ocw method and find your powder nodes before just trying to ramp up the charge weights. I have found in my 223 that going slightly slower was better for accuracy and consistency. I get velocities that exceed book values at well below the max charge weight.
Swaim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 06:05 PM #12

OP, what is your definition of trouble? Flat primers? Swipes? Blown primers? Short brass life? Have to beat the bolt handle open?

I've had some of those, try to stay away from others.
Park ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 06:20 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaim13 View Post
OP, if you are working for a max accuracy node, do the OCW charge method. The big thing to remember is that you can change powders and associated burn rates to help you get the load you want. I believe that it is roughly 85% case capacity is what you aim for.

223 loves varget. I am sure that 308 has something similar that a lot of ppl have found. I would start w that powder.
Yeah, it is called............

VARGET

Actually, no reason to do OCW, find some people who have done the OCW, and pick the common load.

I did the OCW, even got Dan Newberry's input.

And guess what, I got the same load as over 100 other people got.

Lapua brass, Sierra 175 SMK, Federal Match primer, 43.5 grains of Varget.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:04 AM #14
Lighten up Francis

Lighten up Francis

My Tikka T3 Lite is dead accurate with moderate Varget loads, and a 180 grain Sierra GameKing (Spitzer BT) bullet. It's deer in the freezer.

Time at the range is more likely to improve my shooting than a bit more powder, in my opinion.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/resour...let-selection/
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:44 PM #15

Running up to higher nodes is mainly for people shooting at very long ranges.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 06:27 PM #16

, I put lots and lots of varget in my palma gun. But the rules we play by you have to shoot a 308 with a 155 out to 1000 yards. You have to push it 3000 fps to stay above the speed of sound. Rather than go full stupid on the pressure, we use 30" barrels
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:48 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park ranger View Post
, I put lots and lots of varget in my palma gun. But the rules we play by you have to shoot a 308 with a 155 out to 1000 yards. You have to push it 3000 fps to stay above the speed of sound. Rather than go full stupid on the pressure, we use 30" barrels
Why do you need to stay supersonic?

AFAIK, the only match bullet that has transonic transition issues is the Sierra Match King .30 168 grain.

I know the 175 is fine going subsonic.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:43 PM #18

Plenty of bullets suffer from trans sonic issues. The 168 being the worst, or most well known. That is due to its boattail. But long skinny bullets will do screwing things too. The 175 isnt really that slippery. It's not a tug boat, but it's not a vld.

Need to go fast to minimize wind effects too. The wind will kick your butt at 1000. So because we are restricted to a 155 grain, you dont want to leave wind drift performance on the table. So we use the most slippery 155's we can, long and pointy, but dont play nice starting at mach 1.2.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 07:39 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park ranger View Post
Plenty of bullets suffer from trans sonic issues. The 168 being the worst, or most well known. That is due to its boattail. But long skinny bullets will do screwing things too. The 175 isnt really that slippery. It's not a tug boat, but it's not a vld.

Need to go fast to minimize wind effects too. The wind will kick your butt at 1000. So because we are restricted to a 155 grain, you dont want to leave wind drift performance on the table. So we use the most slippery 155's we can, long and pointy, but dont play nice starting at mach 1.2.
Not talking about BC.

Just addressed in transonic instability. What other bullets? As I stated, the only one that I have read about is the 168 SMK

Yes, to minimize wind drift you want max velocity, but a different subject.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 06:01 PM #20

Your experience may be different than mine, but have shot at the national at camp Perry many many years, no one shoots a 223 out of AR at 1000 yards. Sone try and figure out real quick why it's a bad idea. Long skinny bullets dont do well in transonic region, which happens at Mach 1. 2 to Mach .8. For example, the 80 grain SMK is a great bullet but not in transonic region.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading