• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Does anyone know if this ammo is corrosive?
    It is Berdan primed bright and shiny brass.
    Date is unreadable on the head stamp but the carton may read 83.

Attachments

• P1010041.JPG
      P1010041.JPG
      50.3 KB · Views: 574

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Pull one, sand the galvanizing off a nail, drive nail into piece of wood, fire the primed case against the nail using a center punch, have another nail next to it as a control, and wait.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    This stuff looks to be more modern - Like NATO .308 versus the old 7.65X53 Argentine that my old Mauser shoots....THAT old ammo often has corrosive primers....

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    FLB 83 is non-corrosive and made primarily for the FAL. Decent surplus. Good as any surplus in my FAL for plinking away. It functioned my M14, though I only shot it in the M14 out of curiosity since the FAL gas system is adjustable and the M14 doesn't like everything out there. :)

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Pull one, sand the galvanizing off a nail, drive nail into piece of wood, fire the primed case against the nail using a center punch, have another nail next to it as a control, and wait.

DO NOT DO THIS. The charge in a primer is strong enough to injure you if fired outside a chamber. It may come apart on detonation, if not contained.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    After firing my AR-10 with this ammo I did not clean as though it was corrosive. Yesterday, After being shot 2 weeks ago I cleaned my rifle and found no ill effects. The bore and bolt cleaned up nicely.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    After firing my AR-10 with this ammo I did not clean as though it was corrosive. Yesterday, After being shot 2 weeks ago I cleaned my rifle and found no ill effects. The bore and bolt cleaned up nicely.

Right on! No need to speculate or use gloves and hammer nail tests. At least two of us have tested in rifles. The Argentine 8X ammo lots have non-corrosive primers.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    No issue with this ammo through my FAL either. I remember buying them directly from Century at $.10/ round, shot a bunch. The only Berban prime which is corrosive that I know of, is Chinese made L2a2 308 ammo.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    DO NOT DO THIS. The charge in a primer is strong enough to injure you if fired outside a chamber. It may come apart on detonation, if not contained.

Wrong.

Yes, if you put your finger in front of the open mouth of the case you can hurt yourself, but the primer alone will not rupture a case with no bullet.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Wrong.

Yes, if you put your finger in front of the open mouth of the case you can hurt yourself, but the primer alone will not rupture a case with no bullet.

I said an unsupported primer can desintegrate and hurt you trying to set it off with a nail. Just what you said...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I said an unsupported primer can desintegrate and hurt you trying to set it off with a nail. Just what you said...

Who said anything about using a nail to set it off?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    A friend of mine set off a primer in an empty case with a torch, to make a display round, the primer shot out of the pocket and lodged in his arm, it could easily take an eye out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom