• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    fabsroman, don't the Citori's have chrome lined chambers? Is it really necessary to have chrome lined barrels? Now galling; that's a whole other issue.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    fabsroman, don't the Citori's have chrome lined chambers? Is it really necessary to have chrome lined barrels? Now galling; that's a whole other issue.

The current ones do but not the older ones. That’s something you always check when buying a used Browning is to makes sure there’s no rust in the chamber. I’ve heard guys complain that their chambers rusted by the time they got home after shooting. This isn’t an exaggeration by the way.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The current ones do but not the older ones. That’s something you always check when buying a used Browning is to makes sure there’s no rust in the chamber. I’ve heard guys complain that their chambers rusted by the time they got home after shooting. This isn’t an exaggeration by the way.

Interesting. Well I can't blame anyone for being bent out of shape about galling pivots or corrosion in the chamber.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

So this begs the question; is shotgun ammo that corrosive? Most common shotguns (both new and old) are not chrome lined.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I wasn't aware of this when I got my two Brownings, both of which are over 40, so I just checked them this morning. No cleaning and no rust. I'm going to run a bore snake through them now.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Interesting. Well I can't blame anyone for being bent out of shape about galling pivots or corrosion in the chamber.

Yep, that is my situation with my Citori. I was a dumb kid when I bought it. I had just turned 18. Saved up $500 working at a hot dog stand and my dad paid for the other half. So, it is both our guns, but in my name. My dad is terrible with gun maintenance, but I am really good. I was the only one shooting it. Initially, I was using it for hunting, and by the time I got home the chambers and barrels would be rusted. I picked the Citori over the Beretta without doing much research whatsoever because I was a Browning fan boy. We already had an Auto-5 and I had been shooting a BPS for years. Never, ever, were those barrels rusted up when we got home from hunting. The Citori has rust in the chambers and down the interior of the tubes. Over time, pits have developed in the chambers and the barrels.

Did not really come across Beretta until I saw a fellow dove hunter, friend of the family with one, and when I started shooting at lot at PGT&S I saw even more, a lot of which were on the rack for sale. I knew there was a "Beretta 686" on the rack at Atlantic guns right next to the Citori, but I bought the Citori without even looking at the Beretta. Never would have even known that some barrels were chrome lined and others were not. When I went back to Atlantic Guns with the rust issue, they contacted Browning and Browning essentially told me to pound sand. That was the end of me going to Atlantic guns and the end of me buying Brownings. So, when I got into trap shooting in 1993 just out of undergrad, I started looking at Berettas at PGT&S. Ended up buying a Beretta 682 Super Trap and still shoot it to this day, albeit not quite as often.

Whenever I would take the Citori trap shooting, I had to bring a cleaning rod and clean the barrels out before even packing the gun up to head home.

Life is a great teacher. Learned a good lesson before I even turned 21 and now I have a loaner o/u for those that want to try out a Browning Citori. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So this begs the question; is shotgun that corrosive? Most common shotguns (both new and old) are not chrome lined.

Yeah, neither the Auto-5 nor the BPS has ever had this issue. Granted, the Auto-5 is a Belgium and the BPS was made in the late 70's, maybe 1980. I know I was in elementary school when my dad bought it for me for Christmas. Neither gun has ever had the interior of the barrel rust up. This POS Citori is the exception to the rule. I bought it in 1989 and it is made in Japan. I really despise it, but I keep it as a reminder and because I have never, ever, sold a gun. If I had to guess, I would guess that Browning went with some cheap POS steel on the barrels to this gun, or some bad steel got past quality control. The customer service side of it is what really pissed me off.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Look up "Browning Superposed salt wood". Some original owners got new shotguns due to rust from the salt used to cure the wood for the stocks. Used shotguns go to Art for restoration.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

What about the Belgian guns? I have 3, and none have that problem.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I had a typo in my previous post; I meant to say:

So this begs the question; is shotgun ammo that corrosive? Most common shotguns (both new and old) are not chrome lined.

It’s the same smokeless powder as rifle and handgun (different burn rate of course), so no. I’ve never heard of any other shotgun that’s had the issue as bad as the Citori’s. Of course you should clean any gun after shooting. The chrome lined bores are more forgiving.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually Shotgun powders closely overlap handgun powders .

I used to make the blanket statement that " Every Shotgun powder also is useable in ( at least some ) Revolver applications ." . I have yet to find any exceptions .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom