• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    These pictures of old sink boxes on the Cheasspeake Bay popped up in my IG feed. Pretty cool but they were outlawed back in 1918 from i read.

I hunted a sinkbox out of Hatteras this season.

Meh...

At least now I can say I have done it.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

From the article:
    Not unusual for sink box hunters to shoot 150 to 250 ducks daily
    250 ducks! I'm happy with a two-duck day, and my lord a shoulder must hurt after 250+ waterfowl rounds!

edit: Just finished the article...obviously not all of the guns were shoulder fired. Now I know where DNR gets 90% of the rules for waterfowl hunting. Everything was put in place 100 years ago to battle market hunting.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    From the article:
    250 ducks! I'm happy with a two-duck day, and my lord a shoulder must hurt after 250+ waterfowl rounds!

Times were very different 100 years ago. People would kill hundreds of ducks a day. People would kill hundreds of buffalo a day at one time in the US. These were market hunters and they are the reason there are a lot fewer waterfowl and buffalo around.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Another decent day Wish we had more guns.

Attachments

• 20190124_180155.jpg
      20190124_180155.jpg
      111.6 KB · Views: 159

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sad to see this for the last time this season.

Attachments

• 84C91D64-AC37-46F9-8839-7DECCAEF905A.jpg
      84C91D64-AC37-46F9-8839-7DECCAEF905A.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 146

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sad to see this for the last time this season.

Silver lining. Always a silver lining. There is always another season around the corner or another hobby. Fishing season is coming up. Then, for me there is cycling and shooting during the spring, summer, and fall.

I know you get out and do some fishing with your kids, so that is something to look forward to as waterfowl season comes to a close. Time to start getting the tackle sorted out and ready for the warmer weather.

Did you kill anything today?

Another silver lining is that at least you were able to get out and hunt.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A former member had a good day. Yes, he used a Saiga 12. Yes, the mags were pinned to 2 rounds.

Attachments

• 3F8C7BD4-FF50-425C-83CA-0C71926C7CF6.jpg
      3F8C7BD4-FF50-425C-83CA-0C71926C7CF6.jpg
      173.1 KB · Views: 167

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    A former member had a good day. Yes, he used a Saiga 12. Yes, the mags were pinned to 2 rounds.

Definitely looks like you guys had a great day. Hell, any day of hunting is a good day versus being stuck in an office.

I have to get a boat and find some duck hunting spots around me. First things first though with the house situation and then the boat follows shortly thereafter.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Finished up the WV season yesterday. We got our 15 in the morning, and brought another guy out for the afternoon, which has been when the mallards were active. other guy got his 5. Mallards showed up about 10 minutes after shooting light, and in numbers I've only seen in the midwest. I've been waterfowling for a while now and I haven't had a day like today. I'm shocked at the amount of birds in our area, especially ducks.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Finished off the season in Northern Virginia yesterday. Ended with quite the mixed bag; woody pair, geese pair, banded ring neck (2007 in Canada), drake mallard. This was my first season going after waterfowl and I’m hooked. Already getting ready for next season lol.
    c95f5a062cd91ed0a7eea937df8b56f4.jpg
    d951880f272dc92932d99962b59b3843.jpg
    f5ebb78cd978ef8287bd4a472954b08f.jpg
    420c2eece2f84e6315e4d4c53f5ca70a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Finished up the WV season yesterday. We got our 15 in the morning, and brought another guy out for the afternoon, which has been when the mallards were active. other guy got his 5. Mallards showed up about 10 minutes after shooting light, and in numbers I've only seen in the midwest. I've been waterfowling for a while now and I haven't had a day like today. I'm shocked at the amount of birds in our area, especially ducks.

River? Lake? Field?

Congrats to everyone else. I didn't even get out on the last day :o. Next year I will be doing things differently. These past two years of only hunting the Upper Potomac have not been good at all.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    River? Lake? Field?

Congrats to everyone else. I didn't even get out on the last day :o. Next year I will be doing things differently. These past two years of only hunting the Upper Potomac have not been good at all.

Cut corn field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    My group in St. Mary's had an excellent weekend on the Potomac. We saw canvasbacks in numbers never seen before there. I asked a few of the elders who have been hunting the area since the early 70's and they confirmed there haven't been cans in real huntable numbers since the early 80's. We also had a lot of bluebills come in along with the usual buffleheads.

Can anyone on the Eastern Shore or in Delaware give a snow goose report?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Speaking of "getting ready" for next year, I have ~200lbs of lead in my garage waiting to be fashioned into ring and "muffin tin" weights.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Silver lining. Always a silver lining. There is always another season around the corner or another hobby. Fishing season is coming up. Then, for me there is cycling and shooting during the spring, summer, and fall.

I know you get out and do some fishing with your kids, so that is something to look forward to as waterfowl season comes to a close. Time to start getting the tackle sorted out and ready for the warmer weather.

Did you kill anything today?

Another silver lining is that at least you were able to get out and hunt.

We killed a few on Saturday and a limit on Friday.
    #2 son got a new Penn Battle II reel for Christmas and it looks like #1 son will be using someone's commercial crabbing license this season so yes, the talk Saturday was about getting ready to fish.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Drove up to Long Island Saturday morning. Left my place at 6:15 and got to Long Island at 10:30. Saw all of 5 groups of geese in the air and a single group of ducks. It was quite pathetic compared to years past. Only saving grace was that I saw some guys towing a duck boat on Long Island and it looked like they had come back from duck hunting. They had the tailgate down and I could see a couple of birds in there. That got me excited. I wonder how difficult it is to live on Long Island and actually go hunting. Maybe hunting is pretty good out on the east side of the island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom