• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldNavyVet

Mar 1, 2018
    Charles County
    My wife sent me this picture while I was out today. Fox came out of woods and onto the deck. She had called animal control who asked her to call the sheriff's office. Wife watched it as it disappeared under the deck. A sheriffs deputy showed up quickly and checked for it. He never saw it after searching my property. The poor thing is sick and in the Bel Alton area.

fox.jpg

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Came across one that looked exactly like that around noon yesterday in our little downtown area. I don't think they were able to find it, likely followed the train tracks. Thing looked terrible and had a very odd stride as it crossed the street.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Mange. Easily treated with a dewormer like ivermectin. Leave some in a can of cat food near the fox for a few days.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    My neighbor uses something he gets from the local farm store to treat our foxes. Saw two a couple days ago and they looked healthy, but we found one sickly one dead earlier in the summer. They can loose all their fur, which in the winter is fatal. You can google up some sad images of bears with mange too.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    One of the biggest problems with mange (other than it can jump over to your domestic pets, which isn't nice), is that the host critter feels intense, crazy, non-stop itching. Many animals will actually wound themselves trying to get to it, and die of infections from the open wounds. If you don't have the means to treat a mangy fox, the most humane thing is to put it down by whatever means you've got. Our local fox tribe is very healthy looking. We enjoy seeing them.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Mange. Easily treated with a dewormer like ivermectin. Leave some in a can of cat food near the fox for a few days.

Ivermectin given to an animal that is unsupervised can kill it if it has heart worms. heartworms are common in red fox and not always fatal.

Collies and some Sheppard breeds of dog are highly sensitive to ivermectin and can die they ingest it. It is also toxic to some bird species. There’s no way you can guarantee that fox will get the dose rather than someone’s pet or another wild animal that may die as a result.

Mange is a natural limiting factor in fox populations. Either let it run its course or put this fox out of your misery. Do not try to “save” it and cause more problems

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Definitely Mange. Treat carefully with Invermectin. Poor thing is suffering now. Itching, cold, and poorly nourished as other parasites get a grip on it. Even better if it can be captured and cared for. Takes a bit of time for recovery. They can suffer terribly in the cold if it gets bad. Just putting out food helps a lot. DON'T overdose with the invermectin. Thats a bad way to go also.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Foxes are amazing animals!
    By all means, help if you can.
    I like the idea of catch-cage-treat-release...if
    feasible.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I live up on belalton Newtown road by rt 6. Last year we had a young fox come up and eat the outside cats food. He would come every evening. Wasn't scared of us almost like he was similar tamed. Never caused any issue and even would sleep on the porch furniture from time to time. One day he just stopped coming by.

Wonder if thus could be same fox.

OldNavyVet

Mar 1, 2018
    Charles County
    I live up on belalton Newtown road by rt 6. Last year we had a young fox come up and eat the outside cats food. He would come every evening. Wasn't scared of us almost like he was similar tamed. Never caused any issue and even would sleep on the porch furniture from time to time. One day he just stopped coming by.

Wonder if thus could be same fox.

I'm on the 301 end of BA - Newtown Rd. I haven't seen the sick Fox since posted but security camera has recorded two other fox...so they are around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom