• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So, I agree that there are more quality options out there, but in my experience, the PSA's I own and have come across have held up great.

I built two matching SPR inspired builds (one for a best man's gift), using the "PSA 18" CHF MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 HEAVY 15" PRECISION LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER, NO BCG OR CH – SKU 516444448", as mentioned by Mack M. I got mine for $379 each during a sale before all this panic though :-)

It's definitely overgassed (in part to being a middy 18'') and I run a Sprinco Red and H2 buffer to tame it down. Runs great with this set up.

Aside from the barrels not being dimpled, everything checked out and they are tack drivers for what they are and have never malfunctioned. Now my sample size is 2, so YMMV.

My other uppers are DD, BCM, and a home brewed Criterion upper.

I've seen bad QC from some top tier builds. PSA has def sh*t the bed before, but AFAIK they generally hold up pretty good.

All kinds of stories about how they used to loctite the crap out of everything, but neither of mine had any loctite and everything came apart and went back together as expected.

Now I will say their "lightweight" mlok rail is anything but.

Check in with Lord Chadwin and his experience with PSA uppers/rifles that have crossed his bench. You'll have a very enlightening experience.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    forged from one piece of solid aluminum - not forged or casted.????????

Is it forged? or NOT Forged?
    I'm thinking forged, not billet, if you're asking about lowers. Forged lowers are generally stronger than billet lowers.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Any leads on a 12.5” 223 barrel with a carbine gas system? I cant seem to find one in stock other than a BCM or DD which is out of my budget

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    EB ballistic advantage has them usually but may be also out of stock. No .223 per say but wylde and 5.56. Did not know if you meant .223 only barrel

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=billet&cvid=11978e1bb2e84e148e0a89bba3eef3b1&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=U531

Billet can be anything that is machined from one piece. It may be a billet of forged material?

A billet is a solid block of aluminum (or any material) with the size depending on the size of your desired part. The larger the desired part, the larger the billet. Contrary to casting, billet parts are created by removing excess material from the billet, essentially the part is carved out of solid aluminum.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Check in with Lord Chadwin and his experience with PSA uppers/rifles that have crossed his bench. You'll have a very enlightening experience.

I watch his videos. He also showcased pretty epic fails with SOLGW and DD as well, and other "top tier" manufacturers from time to time failing pretty bad. Recently put up a video of an Anderson lower spec'ing out near perfect.

I have a DD upper that the rail was installed visibly crooked. An easy fix and have had zero issues, but you will find bad examples of QC everywhere.

Now, I have not QC'ed by uppers like Chad does, but based on my experience, the ones I have seen have been fine. I should add, though, that the only uppers i've ever bought or seen have the FN CHF barrels. I've also never used their bolts.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I did a quick search on Sunday morning and Primary Arms had a few different 12.5” barrels in stock. I picked up a Roscoe with a carbine gas system.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Quick question regarding AR pistols and SBRs. If I build an AR pistol using a stripped lower and then put in my Form 1 for an SBR, I can switch back and forth between pistol and SBR, yeah?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Quick question regarding AR pistols and SBRs. If I build an AR pistol using a stripped lower and then put in my Form 1 for an SBR, I can switch back and forth between pistol and SBR, yeah?
    Not entirely sure, but what's the benefit to you? Are you changing out the stock and upper every time? Id rather just buy another upper and not swap it out all the time.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    My first build

For me I basically wanted to have an AR15 but for a good one it was just out of reach so I decided to build one. All the parts come from Anderson Manufacturing mainly because of the price along with knowing everything would go together smoothly. At some point I will probably change out the trigger but that really is about it. I am also creating a custom gunskin for it as well. I am a designer and work in a print shop so the only thing I would need is a template.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yes

An SBR is an SBR until it isn't. It can be returned to SBR configuration whenever and wherever legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom