• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casttrunnion

Jul 18, 2020
    MoCo Potomac
    Hi, all. Me and my dad want to go shooting, but we used to go to a friend's plot in Shenandoah to have fun. Nowadays he's a bit more busy and we'd like to find a sporting clay range open to the public in MoCo. We live right next to Pennyfield Lock.

IWLA is close, but we don't know if they're allowing the public in, or if they can take more members. There's a place up near Annapolis that we went to with a friend, but again, it's too far.

I have 3000 rounds of birdshot and buckshot sitting next to me in the closet, if ammunition could speak, it's telling me to go shoot.

Ah, one more thing. My mom wants to buy a small, hammerless revolver for self defense (and get a concealed carry permit). I think the S&W 642 J-frame in .38 special should be good for her. Thoughts?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If " runs" = Owns , then that's good .

Check the stickies here , and the MSI website .

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Bull Run Shooting Center in Centreville,va. Usual restrictions 23” barrel length minimum, not shot larger than 7 1/2.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Hi, all. Me and my dad want to go shooting, but we used to go to a friend's plot in Shenandoah to have fun. Nowadays he's a bit more busy and we'd like to find a sporting clay range open to the public in MoCo. We live right next to Pennyfield Lock.

IWLA is close, but we don't know if they're allowing the public in, or if they can take more members. There's a place up near Annapolis that we went to with a friend, but again, it's too far.

I have 3000 rounds of birdshot and buckshot sitting next to me in the closet, if ammunition could speak, it's telling me to go shoot.

Ah, one more thing. My mom wants to buy a small, hammerless revolver for self defense (and get a concealed carry permit). I think the S&W 642 J-frame in .38 special should be good for her. Thoughts?

Shooting clays with buckshot makes it much more difficult, for a real challenge use slugs.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    PG T&S is great, but a bit of a hike. Closer to home for you for trap and skeet (no sporting clays or wobble trap) is Tuscarora Gun Club. They are open, and open to the public. Wednesday nights under lights from 6PM to 9PM, and Saturdays from 9AM until 4PM. $5/round and bring your own ammo (nothing bigger than 7.5 shot IIRC, no buck, no slugs). Minimum barrel length for TGC is 24" and I think PG is the same. So 18" home defense shotguns need a longer barrel put on, or left at home.

IWLA is NOT open to the public, but the Poolesville area chapter is still taking on new members IIRC. If trap and skeet is all you're looking for, Tuscarora is also taking on new members.

It's all about what you're looking for.

PG Trap and Skeet is like a nice public golf course that encompasses a lot of different courses. You've got trap, wobble trap, bunker trap, skeet, an sporting clays with fancy cards that keep track of how many clays you have left and a pro-shop. Tuscarora is an old-school guntry club. It's like a bunch of Ruritans or Oddfellows realized they all liked shotgun shooting, so they put up some trap and skeet fields (IIRC they DO have five-stand, but I don't know if they run it for the public) some stadium lights, and lined the covered porch with benches and chairs so you can kick back and shoot the breeze while waiting for your turn to shoot. They use a cash box and a legal pad to figure out who has paid for what and when they're up in a group. $10,000 trap guns from makers I've never heard of sit in the rack right next to camo 870s and old side-by-sides and everyone is just as nice as can be. Nobody thinks they're above anyone else and the guys with expensive guns are just as happy to shoot non-handicap rounds as they are to shoot handicap.

I like both for different reasons and different occasions.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD

From what I have read, 38+P is the only way to go for defense if you must have a 38, I believe those S&W's can shoot that, so it should be a decent choice. I like those revolvers because of the internal hammer, I think that is a really good way to design a handgun.

Why does she want a revolver?

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    I just joined the BCC-IWLA ... they are actively taking new members. They are in poolsville area. You need to attend 3 virtual meetings before becoming a member.

Look them up, seems like a great place. I was part of the Rockville chapter a few years ago. The BCC chapter is MUCH larger in terms of ranges and land.

David

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    I tried to get a concealed license in MD, but as others have said it is near impossible. You have to prove a "need" ... Like owning a business that transports lot of cash, etc...

Also, I would have your mom try a 38 special first (or maybe she did already) ... especially the +Ps. I bought my wife a Ruger LCR 38 and it was so light (which is great for carry), but a very snappy gun for her to shoot. She did not like it. She ended up with a Ruger Sp101 (w reduced trigger springs) ... that was a bit heavier, but more for home use. Good luck!

p.s. I ended up w an extra pistol. I love the LCR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom