• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I’m curious. Why does one shoot suppressed? I tried some 210grain 300BO with a max loading of 9.2 gr of Winchester 296 out of a 10 1/2 inch barrel. A round failed to lock the slide back on the last round. I’ve read that this sub-sonic round has similar ballistic energy of a .45 ACP. Seems anemic for a rifle round but what do I know?

If, and that’s a big if, I was developing this load for my particular gun, would a lighter bolt carrier group improve this round function in my firearm?

I’m curious. Why does one shoot suppressed? I tried some 210grain 300BO with a max loading of 9.2 gr of Winchester 296 out of a 10 1/2 inch barrel. A round failed to lock the slide back on the last round. I’ve read that this sub-sonic round has similar ballistic energy of a .45 ACP. Seems anemic for a rifle round but what do I know?

If, and that’s a big if, I was developing this load for my particular gun, would a lighter bolt carrier group improve this round function in my firearm?

I know the numbers can't be extrapolated but... I run 10.0gr of H110 (very similar to Win 296) with 220gr projectiles out of an 8.5" barrel and get +/- 1050fps. Occasionally I will get one to go supersonic.
    A suppressor will add gas and be much more likely to properly cycle the bolt with your load.
    IMHO, and people will disagree, .300 Blackout suppressed and subsonic is as close to "Hollywood Quiet" as you can get. The buffer spring and bolt are often louder than the report. In a nutshell, .300 Blackout suppressed subs are a hoot to shoot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    300 AAC subsonic was adapted to the AR15/M16 for one reason. It was/is a good confined space/entry weapon that shoots a .30 caliber projectile at subsonic speeds. Meaning, you can go through a door, shoot someone in the face, and not be deafened by the sound.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    while on the subject , how much louder are supers than subs ? i know it's all relitive , your supressor and all , just courious .

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    noise

while on the subject , how much louder are supers than subs ? i know it's all relitive , your supressor and all , just courious .

comes out quieter but when the round hits supersonic you do hear it. Watching vids or seeing someone shoot supersonic through a suppressor may make you think worthless but coming out of the barrel with you as the shooter (btw Shooter on Comcrap 827 right now) it is quieter.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Much louder. Supers can rupture ear drums when shot indoors(been there, done that), subs generally speaking, won't. That's the most important thing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    comes out quieter but when the round hits supersonic you do hear it. Watching vids or seeing someone shoot supersonic through a suppressor may make you think worthless but coming out of the barrel with you as the shooter (btw Shooter on Comcrap 827 right now) it is quieter.
    Once you get accustomed to shooting supersonic through a can, you hear the muzzle blast just before the bang. It sounds like a .22. You usually don't hear the sonic blast until it echos back to you. It depends on your environment.

It is a lot easier to explain by actually hearing it, but I will try to explain...
    Supers have the sonic crack as the bullet goes down range; subsonics don't. When shooting suppressed subs and one goes super, the loud "wssshhhh" of the bullet downrange is much more obvious than shooting unsuppressed. At the (outdoor) shooting point, the difference between sub and super is clearly there, but not as hideously obvious.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It is a lot easier to explain by actually hearing it, but I will try to explain...
    Supers have the sonic crack as the bullet goes down range; subsonics don't. When shooting suppressed subs and one goes super, the loud "wssshhhh" of the bullet downrange is much more obvious than shooting unsuppressed. At the (outdoor) shooting point, the difference between sub and super is clearly there, but not as hideously obvious.

Tell him about the trip we made to AGC with a Form 1 can....

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I suppress everything I can because it knocks sound pressure levels down a couple orders of magnitude and I only have one set of ears. A typical supersonic centerfire rifle round is usually in the 160s or 170s decibel ranges unsuppressed. Means my earpro doesn’t have to do all the work. Also pushes blast and concussion away from me and people near me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A 200+gr sub can have a BC above .700, Heavy 45 bullets are usually under .200. Not a huge difference in energy at the muzzle, but 45 loses about the same energy at 100 yards as 300BO does after 400 yards. 300 black is at the floor of it's power where 45 is near it's peak, 300 has a similarly huge advantage in sectional density aka penetration. Much smaller diameter so suppressors are more effective than larger diameter bullets, and with nearly 2" in length to tumble or expand, it can do a lot of damage. Of course full power supersonic loads have far more energy than 5.56, and hold it better at ranges even if it doesn't shoot as flat

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Because its really nice to go whack bambi and not have your ears ring. Though after 28 years of metal concerts and almost as much shooting i cant hear anything anyway.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I will also add that it makes at least my guns more pleasant to shoot and w my ar10 its a little bit more accurate. Probably due to the brake/mount i use w the omega.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Because its really nice to go whack bambi and not have your ears ring. Though after 28 years of metal concerts and almost as much shooting i cant hear anything anyway.
    I lie in bet every night with the whirring of a million crickets in my ears. Two blow ears and 40 years running air nailers(and guns).

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    300 AAC subsonic was adapted to the AR15/M16 for one reason. It was/is a good confined space/entry weapon that shoots a .30 caliber projectile at subsonic speeds. Meaning, you can go through a door, shoot someone in the face, and not be deafened by the sound.

A 200+gr sub can have a BC above .700, Heavy 45 bullets are usually under .200. Not a huge difference in energy at the muzzle, but 45 loses about the same energy at 100 yards as 300BO does after 400 yards. 300 black is at the floor of it's power where 45 is near it's peak, 300 has a similarly huge advantage in sectional density aka penetration. Much smaller diameter so suppressors are more effective than larger diameter bullets, and with nearly 2" in length to tumble or expand, it can do a lot of damage. Of course full power supersonic loads have far more energy than 5.56, and hold it better at ranges even if it doesn't shoot as flat

The above puts it all in perspective concerning suppressed.

Does anyone hunt with subsonic 300 BO rounds? I’ve had my 300 BO since April of this year and have only shot super sonic rounds until my last two visits to the range.

What have you done to reliably shoot subs in your firearm?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    exactly

Once you get accustomed to shooting supersonic through a can, you hear the muzzle blast just before the bang. It sounds like a .22. You usually don't hear the sonic blast until it echos back to you. It depends on your environment.

yup yup

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I know the numbers can't be extrapolated but... I run 10.0gr of H110 (very similar to Win 296) with 220gr projectiles out of an 8.5" barrel and get +/- 1050fps. Occasionally I will get one to go supersonic.
    A suppressor will add gas and be much more likely to properly cycle the bolt with your load.
    IMHO, and people will disagree, .300 Blackout suppressed and subsonic is as close to "Hollywood Quiet" as you can get. The buffer spring and bolt are often louder than the report. In a nutshell, .300 Blackout suppressed subs are a hoot to shoot.

My 308 win is much quieter than my 300 Blackout. I’m pushing some 200gr bullets at at about 1000fps and they are quieter than the staple gun i used to hang the targets. That said I am comparing a bolt action 308 to and ar-15 300blackout, but the 308 is insanely quiet.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My 308 win is much quieter than my 300 Blackout. I’m pushing some 200gr bullets at at about 1000fps and they are quieter than the staple gun i used to hang the targets. That said I am comparing a bolt action 308 to and ar-15 300blackout, but the 308 is insanely quiet.

The AR action is pretty loud. I don’t own a .308 bolt gun. I need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom