• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Anyone who keeps an AR type rifle/carbine on hand as a home defense gun, what do you use to secure it close by for ready access?

I'd want the carbine and a few magazines to be close at hand at night, just starting to look into what would work for that, so ... ??

Last edited:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Anyone who keeps an AR type rifle/carbine on hand as a home defense gun, what do you use to secure it close by for ready access?

I'd want the carbine and a few magazines to be close at hand at night, just starting to look into what would work for that, so ... ??

*****I use this. It's by my bed in a special hidden wall. I also have ear protection (electronic), and armor very nearby. Everything looks normal. These "safes" are not secure versus a real safe, but they will keep a child or casual person out for a bit, hopefully prevent an accident from a firearm out in the open, etc.. It's very fast access - less than 3 seconds and the guns are out. In my opinion, it is best to have things hidden. *Anything* can be broken in to with enough time. I also have handguns, but in smaller Simplex locked cases throughout the home. I would use the handguns until I could get to the AR's if not in the bedroom.

Attachments

• Rapid.jpg
      Rapid.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 718

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    *****I use this. It's by my bed in a special hidden wall. I also have ear protection (electronic), and armor very nearby. Everything looks normal. These "safes" are not secure versus a real safe, but they will keep a child or casual person out for a bit, hopefully prevent an accident from a firearm out in the open, etc.. It's very fast access - less than 3 seconds and the guns are out. In my opinion, it is best to have things hidden. *Anything* can be broken in to with enough time. I also have handguns, but in smaller Simplex locked cases throughout the home. I would use the handguns until I could get to the AR's if not in the bedroom.

I have one of these, in a very hard to find location nearby my bed. Gun is suppressed, because I don't want to fiddle with ear pro in the middle of the night. Also one in the chamber and 40 round mag in place.....

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    A small gun "safe" style cabinet in the bedroom that is bolted down. Relatively low security but its where a few things live while I am home. Can fit about 3 rifles and a few handguns and ammo. When we leave for vacation or extended travel for a weekend or more, they go back down to the bigger stronger safe in the basement.

A pair of strong guys could prob rip the cabinet from the floor, but the purpose is merely to keep the guns secure from children or guests that may venture into the bedroom while visiting. I am confident that my safe in the basement is good to go.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I also use a SecureIT Fast Box. Mine is bolted under the bed through the non moving part of our adjustable bed base using huge hardware and washers.

kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD
    Home invasion exercise for heavy sleepers

Here's a home invasion exercise for heavy sleepers who need an alarm clock to wake up in the morning.
    1. When your alarm goes off tomorrow morning, pretend it's the noise an intruder made.
    a. How long did it take to acquire your weapon?
    b. How long did it take to ascertain it was loaded and ready to fire?
    c. How long did it take to aim and was there enough light to ascertain your
    that your intruder was not a family member?
    d. At what point did your finger rest on the trigger?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Mine are 16 and 18. The 18 year old has an AR in his room.

When my oldest son moved out I felt like part of my home defense mechanism left. Even now with the 15 year old if he’s not at home for the night I feel a little less prepared. My wife and the girls can all shoot but the boys can do it asleep and blindfolded.

The gun bed is interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom