• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdhog

Feb 9, 2019
    I have the standard Magpul MBUS rear sight mounted securely to a picatinny rail. When I flip it up I grab the whole assembly that's perpendicular to the rail and I can move it left/right about 1/32 of an inch. It's moving along that rod in the bottom left of this picture that would be parallel to the picatinny rail slots.

Is this slop, play, whatever you want to call it acceptable? I thought these things were supposed to be "quality". The aperature is attached to this complete upper assembly and can be either 1/32" to the left or the right on any given shot, that's going to affect the point of impact significantly at long distances.

mag248_blk_01_1.png

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No

I mean, not easily. Mine don't have any play other than the fact they are composite, which can flex, but no mechanical wiggling.

ETA There are fakes out there. I bought a set on Amazon once that were WAY out of spec. I told them they were probably fakes and returned them.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Shouldnt be much if any "play" or "slop" in it. Is it a real magpul? (I only ask because there are a LOT of fakes out there on ebay and amazon and even seen some in stores.)

If you bought it local or on amazon I would try to exchange it. Or contact magpul they have pretty good customer service.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Shouldnt be much if any "play" or "slop" in it. Is it a real magpul? (I only ask because there are a LOT of fakes out there on ebay and amazon and even seen some in stores.)

If you bought it local or on amazon I would try to exchange it. Or contact magpul they have pretty good customer service.

Agree. I've seen some VERY convincing fakes out there. You shouldn't have any slop in it when it's sitting on the rail and properly tightened.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    No

I mean, not easily. Mine don't have any play other than the fact they are composite, which can flex, but no mechanical wiggling.

ETA There are fakes out there. I bought a set on Amazon once that were WAY out of spec. I told them they were probably fakes and returned them.

Yup and most likely the case. Believe it or not the real ones can take a beating.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I agree about it being counterfeit...Magpul is good stuff but even good stuff can occasionally be bad. Where was it purchased from...Amazon, eBay or someplace known to have counterfeit selling vendors?

mdhog

Feb 9, 2019
    This came on my Ruger AR-15 so it "must" be real. Maybe not. I think the play is probably within the manufacturing tolernaces. Just not within mine. If you look at all the horizontal rods you can see there's gaps in the components, so all the assemblies are naturally going to move some. I'm not sure if a replacement would be any better. But thanks for the input anyways.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This came on my Ruger AR-15 so it "must" be real. Maybe not. I think the play is probably within the manufacturing tolernaces. Just not within mine. If you look at all the horizontal rods you can see there's gaps in the components, so all the assemblies are naturally going to move some. I'm not sure if a replacement would be any better. But thanks for the input anyways.

“Play” cannot be in spec for a rifle sight. 1/32” play with a sight radius of 18” and distances in excess of 100 meters makes the sight useless.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland

What you're describing is not at all standard / normal 'manufacturing tolerances' with Magpul's MBUS. I have what, 14 or 15 sets of them on various rifles / PCC's (and a couple Roni's), and not ONE has play in them, so a replacement should absolutely be better. Sounds like you got unlucky, but if you don't like the MBUS, buy the Magpul Pros. I have 3 sets of the pros and those are rock solid and have absolutely no play whatsoever (being that they're metal).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ive never seen slop in an MBUS....but, I've also never seen a clown whose nose I didnt want to knock off his clown face.....but hey, maybe I'll see one that doesn't bother me so much...never know.. :)
    Okay. That's it! Come to my office, you non believer!

:spank:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

If it came from the factory with the sight then I would contact Ruger about it. They may warranty it if it's defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom