• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hi all,

I used to mountain bike a lot, but got away from it when my best riding buddy moved to Texas. Late last summer, I discovered some new guys I work with like to ride but also had no one to ride with, so we started riding. Got a new bike last fall (instead of a new gun!) with some $ my grandmother gave me. Now that the weather has gotten better, I've been riding at least once a week, usually Loch Raven (Seminary area). My friends and I are planning a trip to Raystown Lake, PA, in the next few weeks, as they have a new trail thing there that's supposed to be really neat, though not too technical.

Anyway, just wondering if there are other mountain bikers here. If so, what do you ride and where do you tend to ride.

Me first: I ride a Trek 4300 Disc. I usually ride at Loch Raven or occasionally Gunpowder Sweet Air.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I use to but haven't in a long time. I always went to Patapsco State Park. They have a few good trails there.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    There is one member we call "The Streak" and it's not because of his underwear or that unfortunate Colorado homecoming dance incident. He may reveal himself although I am told he is infested with libtards at the moment.

Splitter

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    I am also getting back into it after a long hiatus. I just upgraded my 2000 Trek 8000 with new Fox forks, front disk brakes, Shimano Deore XT FC-M770 Crankset and some crank brothers pedals. I try to hit the trails a couple of times a month, mostly Schaffer Farms in Germantown. I even signed up for a race in Aug:eek:

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I'd like to get into it, but right now I'm forced to choose between a new gun, a new bike, or paying my mortgage and I can only pick two. Some place you might look at going to is Green Ridge State Forest out near Cumberland. They've got the only "mountain" biking trail in Maryland, which means over 1000 feet of elevation change over the course of the 12 mile loop.

Sep 16, 2009
    I ride my Gary Fisher or GT mountain bike about 5 miles every night. Nothing tough, just some level trails and back roads near the Bush River. Have ridden the North Central RR trail from Hunt Valley to York numerous times. There's no real mountain biking around here. I have been out in Utah and Arizona, that is the real scene.

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    I have a Gary Fisher (hookuekoo ??) i have not been using in years..it just sits in the shed. I need a New rim and crank for a crash i took a while back.

Thinking about selling it, i have $1300 into it and it seems like a waist to just let it sit.

I loved riding at one time.

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    A thread about my favorite activity on a forum about my favorite hobby. Dreams do come true. Patapsco, Avalon area on one of my Specialized s-work epics. Either 2003 aluminum or 2006 carbon epic. Don't get the old hardtail out much anyone. Used to ride at Greenbriar or Frederick if I needed to work on rock gardens. State College PA was a good place to spend the day, lots of climbing.

Got_Glock

Old School
    Jan 16, 2010
    Charles County
    I used to ride, have not ridden much lately. I ride a 2004
    Cannondale Prophet 1000 full suspension/Lefty. I go to Cedarville and St. Mary's Lake. Planning some better rides later on this summer.

Cannon

Dec 10, 2009
    Baltimore
    I used to ride Patapsco about 5x a week when I lived in Arbutus.

I can't find any trails In Loch Raven that I like, I know they exist, I just don't know where.

I've been riding a SS mtb, but I'm thinking of lacing a 7spd internal gear hub.

I do almost all of my riding on the road nowadays.

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    I ride with some church buddies every Sunday after church, weather permitting.

I ride a Trek 6000. Last year, I upgraded the drivetrain, crankset and shifters to XT/SLX, and the brakes to Avid BB7's. It rides great!

Most Sundays we're out at Rosaryville State Park. Occasionally we'll get out to Schaeffer Farms or Avalon. Or, if we have a newbie with us we'll go to Cedarville State Forest.

One of my buddy's parents lives in State College, so we're gonna get up that way at some point to check out the rides there.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I use to ride the semi experience trails in MoCo parks like Black Hills, Lake NeedWood, Little Seneca and Billy Goat Trail. Now I only ride along the C&O Canal. I still have my 17" hard tail North Face Denali that I bought 6 yrears ago. I take her to the Revolution Bicycle for a tuneup every spring.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Id like to ride more. Got an older, used Trek 7000(decals removed, don't recall exactly.) w/ White Brothers' forks. Need some more exercise and to get better on two-wheels.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Patapsco Avalon area is some of the best riding around here.

If it ever stops %&$*@ raining or 97F in the shade, I ride. (although I haven't been in almost two weeks.)

A few years ago, I realized my body can't take my 90's race rig anymore (GT 7000 aluminum has NO give at all). I ended up with a tricked-out Titus Motolite. Fox fork/rear, Formula Oro K24 brakes, Thomson post/stem, King headset, DTSwiss 512 wheelset, XT drivetrain, Time ATAC Carbon pedals, etc...

Also, Loch Raven at Delaney Valley is a good ride, as well.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Trek 6000 here. Havent been out in forever, but I used to enjoy Schaeffer and Black Hills. I moved pretty close to Fairland and I hear there are some mild trails there. might check those out soon.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    I ride every couple of weeks in Patpsco from the Landing Road drop-in. Still doing my best not to face plant.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I was addicted to it bad for about 15 years, but it wore off. Had an Ibis Mt. Trials, then a Catamount and now a Easter Woods Research. Still using toe-clips...couldn't make the transition to clipless...call me old school...

Went to Moab twice and almost ever Jim Thorpe MTB Festival. Now I commute to work once a week, come home and play with my guns. I'm sort of into guns like I was into mtb'ing.

I tried Gunbreath as my forum name, but it sounded too stupid...you may remember.

I was a rock hound...my favorite spot was Gambril State Park. I'm not out of shape, but I'm not in "that" kind of shape anymore. I wouldn't mind a ride out at Avalon in Patapsco, but I know I'll be off the back. WaddaYaGonnaDo...:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom