• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The can warns can be harmful to plastics. Anyone have good results on polymer pistols?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I don't know but I've melted enough plastic grips on steel guns to learn that I should pay closer attention to labels.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Your first problem is the Tupperware gun. If it dissolves it I guess you’ll need to go out and buy a real gun. Or just get the synthetic safe spray, it hasn’t dissolved my mosquito yet.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    The can warns can be harmful to plastics. Anyone have good results on polymer pistols?

Negative; it’s just glorified brake / carb cleaner.

I switched to an inch or so of low odor mineral spirits in shallow, recatangular-shaped Tupperware-type box , a 1” natural bristle paint “chip” brush, an old toothbrush, nitrile gloves and compressed air decades ago. Has cut my cleaning time by more than well over 50%.

Sooner or later that glorified brake / carb cleaner gets on something and ruins it.

Or, goes in ones eye! :shocked2:

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I looked and its the synthetic safe variety (complete with warnings and disclaimers). I suppose fully safe on the barrels. I saw a hitchcock 45 video where he uees only balistrol on glocks and not on inside slide where he just brushes.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I've tried everything and used gun scrubber on everything from M&Ps to all steel pistols. Not seen an issue, but I don't leave it on for long. Hoppes first, gun scrubber for final rinse, rub it down and continue on.

TD

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Use the dishwasher, or just hot soapy water if you don't want to risk making the Missus mad. Blow it off with an air hose when you're done, or hit the metal parts with WD-40 to get rid of the water. An ultrasonic cleaner works too.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I use gun scrubber, synthetic safe version, on my ARs and pistols (steel, aluminum allow, and polymer. Note NOT the barrels). Never had a problem. Love the stuff...

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have used Break Free Powder Blast for years and never had an issue. I used to use the Syn-friendly Gun Scrubber but found Powder Blast to work better. However, I generally don't spray anything directly on the plastics or woods on any of my firearms, and I always wipe it up after if any drops onto those surfaces.

If polymer wasn't an issue, I'd just find original Hoppes #9 to use. I (luckily) found a couple of unopened bottles in a drawer of my parents garage awhile back. You can't beat the stuff for cleaning, IMO. They should make aftershave that matches the smell.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I have a number of different aerosol cleaning products on my bench. I see them, i buy them because i use them fairly regularly in 2 locations. I was at the the timonium show a while back and bought the b-c and forgot it in my car until friday. Was going to put it in the rotation and saw the warning. Actually missed the synthetic safe label as it is printed faintly. Hard to imagine a co making and selling on going a gun cleaning product that will damage the gun, or any part of it. But it sure doesn’t hurt to ask this group.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    If polymer wasn't an issue, I'd just find original Hoppes #9 to use. I (luckily) found a couple of unopened bottles in a drawer of my parents garage awhile back. You can't beat the stuff for cleaning, IMO. They should make aftershave that matches the smell.[/QUOTE]

Yep...Or at least a car freshener scented with Hoppes#9 :D

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Hoppes #9 usually, sometimes Gunslick foam. I have one CZ pistol that gets crudded up more than expected, otherwise I use the Hoppes in all my bores...
    Is copper fouling a problem with lower velocity, short barrelled pistols...non magnum. What about something a bit faster, like the 357 sig?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom