• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I carry daily and have for more years than some here have been on this earth. Over the years, I have carried many different revolvers and pistols. I have tried different holster and gun combinations. What I carry now and have for about the last three years is the XDs .45 in a pancake holster at the 4 0'clock position. It fits and conceals well and is so comfortable that I'll get home sometimes and be sitting down watching TV or sometning and realize I still have it on. The thing is, like many others on this site have stated, is what is good for me may not be good for the next guy. My personnal preference is not yours. Just because I like .45 does not mean it is the best concealed carry caliber. For that matter, what is? You should carry what fits you the best, what you can use the best and to a certain extent what you can afford to wear every day and have ruined by carry "damage and wear".

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Width is actually very important for pocket carry. Height is important as well. There's no sense in asking why people want smaller guns but take pocket carry out of the discussion. That's typically why people want smaller guns.

Otherwise you're right, a compact would suit better.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    How does federal law enforcement deal with their ~fullsize duty pistols which they carry all day long, typically in suits? Do they know something we don't.

When I'm wearing a suit I use a Blackhawk Carbon Fiber Belt and a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard holster. My full size G22 doesn't move, even when sprinting, and can't be seen unless I bend at the waist (hence why I always bend at the knees).

Honestly, carrying a full size handgun isn't terribly difficult or uncomfortable as long as you remember to dress around the gun and don't skimp on your belt and holster. I always shake my head when I see someone carrying a $900 handgun in a $29 holster.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    See above.

Attachments

• 150328_001.jpg
      150328_001.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 261

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    :lol::lol2: ... admittedly, my pockets are full. No man purse. It is all very organized and the swiss army knife is small, as well as the edc flashlight. I did forget to add, a spare loaded magazine to the list.

Just busting balls. No way I could carry that much stuff on me. I'd go crazy

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If IWB, then it'll be the slimmest most compact 9mm I can be accurate with. My build isn't forgiving of the G26 but the single-stack Kahr is perfect. I'm a small guy, my hands are small, the tiny gun that is right for me may not be right for someone else.

It's been said many times before, but a gun you can comfortably carry (of any capacity) is better than one sitting in the safe. There is a demand for sub-compacts for a reason. The requirement of IWB is the driving factor here. If a shoulder rig or OWB hip carry was an option, I would always prefer the largest gun could comfortably carry.

I'm excited for a single-stack Glock, but I've begrundingly come to like the Glock. There's a lot to be said for having a full-sized and compact or sub-compact pistol with similar sights and trigger. Skills transition well. If you have and love a S&W, get a Shield. If you have Beretta, get a Nano. There are a lot of .380 pistols that have played in this arena for years and are quite good, maybe better, than some of the modern 9mm flavors... but I don't want to add yet another caliber to the arsenal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The .40 and .45 small pistols are similar size to the 9s.

XDs 3.3 .45ACP is 6.3" long, 4,4" high, 0.9" width.

Kahr CM40 is 5.47" long, 4.0" high, 0.94" wide.

For small 9, the Kahr pistols are nice. CM9 is 5.43" long, 4.0" high 0.9" width.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I won't bash KelTec , my P11 is reliable , and trigger is more or less acceptable.

The design is fine , the *problem* is in order to have really, really low MSRP , the assembly is rushed , and some of them will have particularily rough internal contact surfaces. When adressed by one of following : 1. Send back to KT for free 2. DIY Fluff&Buff 3. Have 'smith do F&B . My was pre-owned , so can only comment on its status when I purchased.

Yeah , yeah , a pistol should be in tip top shape out of the box, etc but for the price point even paying a 'smith is still very reasonable overall.

FWIW , to me the P11 is the definition of * just barely sorta pocketable * with flush mag. But I prefer belt carry with 12rd S&W mag. And while I like +P and +P+ in normal 9mm , I decided I prefered the better control with std vel 115 in the P11, YMMV .

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm loving my g26 more and more. Out of box weirdness is gone. It runs like a champ and is comfortable to shoot. Made some great groups and had no issue snap-shooting with both eyes open. I also got the factory 12rd mag broken in, so loading 12 is no longer an issue.

Looking forward to carrying out and about :)

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I'm loving my g26 more and more. Out of box weirdness is gone. It runs like a champ and is comfortable to shoot. Made some great groups and had no issue snap-shooting with both eyes open. I also got the factory 12rd mag broken in, so loading 12 is no longer an issue.

Looking forward to carrying out and about :)

That is good to know. I hope we all get to carry out and about someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom