• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gi0m3trics

Nov 30, 2018
    I recently "restored" a sporterized No.4 MK.I Enfield, by replacing the sporterized stock, and happened to get lucky to get a New Old Stock complete with mummy wrap, tag, and cosmoline. The stock was manufactured at the same ROF factory, a month prior to the receiver/bolt/barrel. New (old) front sight hood, and front band with stacking swivel. The gun looks great, and now I want to work on another one of my Grandfather's guns.

I inherited an Arisaka Type 99, with intact chrysanthemum stamp... that was bubba'd to hell. The receiver and bolt are both in good condition, but the barrel was chopped, and a new front sight post added. The stock was butchered, and shellacked. I can replace the stock and small stuff like that, but I cant do anything until the barreled action is restored.

I come to you with 2 questions;
    1 - Are there any MD local gunsmiths that can remove the barrel from the action, and install a new old stock barrel?
    2 - What recommendations do you guys and gals have for C&R parts dealers? I primarily use libertytreecollectors.com

Thanks for your responses!

Jul 1, 2012
    It's all about the numbers - if the parts all match or not.
    Frankly if it isn't matching it's not worth the effort and expense other than for sentimental reasons.
    I can't remember for sure but I believe the barrel is numbered to the receiver via assembly number.
    As a wise collector recently told me, for the Japanese rifles collectors would rather see all-matching parts than an intact mum.

If all that's desired is a nice Type 99 (either shooter or collector) you'd be better off to just buy one.
    Replacing/restoring all the parts will have you upside down very quickly and it still won't be "correct".
    If you're looking for something to shoot I'd just leave it alone and enjoy it as-is.

After all is said and done though, it's like the Graveyard Cars guys where all that's left of the original car is the VIN tag :)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Any gunsmith with the right tools can swap a type 99 barrel. As already pointed out, value will suffer dramatically but it seems as if the goal is to restore the rifle to its original state. Type 99 parts such as barrels are readily available and can be found on ebay and other online resources.

99 barrels may or not be chrome lined depending on manufacture, they range from crudely done last ditch with rudimentary sights to finely blued chrome lined examples with a well crafted rear sight and a pinned/pressed on front sight post with protective ears guarding the blade.

They are also indexed at the bottom of the chamber reinforce/receiver ring, have right hand threads but will not swap with a type 38 barrel because of a different thread pitch and shank extension. What would be the deciding factor for me is if the intended restoration candidate is a last ditch type or not and the presence or lack there of the rest of the parts which could be handily found on the right donor rifle.

If you decide to source another barrel just make sure all the trappings are there.The index mark is visible, the front site post is mounted as well as the rear sight collar and the bore is satisfactory with the chamber in its original condition.

From a shooter perspective right now, the money in 99's is in the bolt internals and rear safety apparatus. Lower bands are right up there as well. Alot of Jap rifles had the firing pin tip snapped off intentionally to prevent use and are often found like that. That however negates the cost of a replacement barrel if your lucky enough to come across a decent parts rifle.

Gi0m3trics

Nov 30, 2018
    Depending on where you are in MD. I have a spare Type 99 Barreled receiver with a very good chrome lined bore I’m looking to get rid of

I'm in Anne Arundel, but I've been known to travel for the right price.

It's all about the numbers - if the parts all match or not.
    Frankly if it isn't matching it's not worth the effort and expense other than for sentimental reasons.
    I can't remember for sure but I believe the barrel is numbered to the receiver via assembly number.
    As a wise collector recently told me, for the Japanese rifles collectors would rather see all-matching parts than an intact mum.

If all that's desired is a nice Type 99 (either shooter or collector) you'd be better off to just buy one.
    Replacing/restoring all the parts will have you upside down very quickly and it still won't be "correct".
    If you're looking for something to shoot I'd just leave it alone and enjoy it as-is.

After all is said and done though, it's like the Graveyard Cars guys where all that's left of the original car is the VIN tag :)

So, without boring you guys with sentimentals; My grandfather was a tinkering man, and since he's been done, I've been taking his old pieces that he wanted to complete, or ones he messed with, and have been finishing them for him.

I don't generally sell guns, unless they're of Russian manufacture, and don't have any safe queens, so this 99 would be one of those shooters that my dad and I can take out whenever we find 7.7.

Any gunsmith with the right tools can swap a type 99 barrel. As already pointed out, value will suffer dramatically but it seems as if the goal is to restore the rifle to its original state. Type 99 parts such as barrels are readily available and can be found on ebay and other online resources.

99 barrels may or not be chrome lined depending on manufacture, they range from crudely done last ditch with rudimentary sights to finely blued chrome lined examples with a well crafted rear sight and a pinned/pressed on front sight post with protective ears guarding the blade.

They are also indexed at the bottom of the chamber reinforce/receiver ring, have right hand threads but will not swap with a type 38 barrel because of a different thread pitch and shank extension. What would be the deciding factor for me is if the intended restoration candidate is a last ditch type or not and the presence or lack there of the rest of the parts which could be handily found on the right donor rifle.

If you decide to source another barrel just make sure all the trappings are there.The index mark is visible, the front site post is mounted as well as the rear sight collar and the bore is satisfactory with the chamber in its original condition.

From a shooter perspective right now, the money in 99's is in the bolt internals and rear safety apparatus. Lower bands are right up there as well. Alot of Jap rifles had the firing pin tip snapped off intentionally to prevent use and are often found like that. That however negates the cost of a replacement barrel if your lucky enough to come across a decent parts rifle.

Thank you for your input!

My dad and I are trying to get 1 shooter rifle from each of the major WWII powers. So far we have a good SA M1 Garand made late January '45 (newer serials were found on Iwo Jima, and Okinawa) and the '43 ROF(F) No.4 Mk.I. This 99 would be added to that collection, which would leave a German 98k, a Mosin (Id take a finn), and a Carcano still to be acquired.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Check these two threads out and see if they are helpful when planning out your resto.
    With a few tools you can get it done to help finish your gran-pa's project. Projects like these are not always cost effective and how much you put into it is your choice, however they are very satisfying when your done and have reached a successful conclusion.
    Nothing like tying up loose ends and then having a little something to pass along in the end, especially if you work towards the challenge with your dad.
    If you need any help, just reach out on here.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=212182

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=221916

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Honestly there are some projects I've done over the years that I knew wouldn't turn a profit but did them for the challenge, education, experience and enjoyment of working with my hands and mind. Perfect example was a rare French M34 Berthier with a badly decomposed stock. Worms had eaten away a large amount of the already sporterized stock. Spare furniture for these is non-existent but I decided to take it on anyway. Found a Berthier 07/15 without a bolt and a badly pitted bore. A perfect parts donor. And then I did what the French arsenals did: I machined the stock to factory dimensions for the M34. Also had to make a HG from scratch. Couldn't find barrel bands so my welders at work made fixtures and we built them from scratch. Cost effective? Hell no! But I just couldn't part it out. Fast forward to a month ago and I find myself buying another sporterized M34. But I'm gonna offer it up to anyone who needs parts or wants to do what I did and attempt a restoration. I've done it once and that's enough for me!

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    I'm in Anne Arundel, but I've been known to travel for the right price.

So, without boring you guys with sentimentals; My grandfather was a tinkering man, and since he's been done, I've been taking his old pieces that he wanted to complete, or ones he messed with, and have been finishing them for him.

I don't generally sell guns, unless they're of Russian manufacture, and don't have any safe queens, so this 99 would be one of those shooters that my dad and I can take out whenever we find 7.7.

Thank you for your input!

My dad and I are trying to get 1 shooter rifle from each of the major WWII powers. So far we have a good SA M1 Garand made late January '45 (newer serials were found on Iwo Jima, and Okinawa) and the '43 ROF(F) No.4 Mk.I. This 99 would be added to that collection, which would leave a German 98k, a Mosin (Id take a finn), and a Carcano still to be acquired.

I've got a nice Mosin you might be interested in...(MOSIN NAGANT 91/30, 7.62x54R, 1933 Tula Hex Receiver, MO marked, Double Dated (1933/1950), Matching numbers)

Advise if interested.

Gi0m3trics

Nov 30, 2018
    Honestly there are some projects I've done over the years that I knew wouldn't turn a profit but did them for the challenge, education, experience and enjoyment of working with my hands and mind. Perfect example was a rare French M34 Berthier with a badly decomposed stock. Worms had eaten away a large amount of the already sporterized stock. Spare furniture for these is non-existent but I decided to take it on anyway. Found a Berthier 07/15 without a bolt and a badly pitted bore. A perfect parts donor. And then I did what the French arsenals did: I machined the stock to factory dimensions for the M34. Also had to make a HG from scratch. Couldn't find barrel bands so my welders at work made fixtures and we built them from scratch. Cost effective? Hell no! But I just couldn't part it out. Fast forward to a month ago and I find myself buying another sporterized M34. But I'm gonna offer it up to anyone who needs parts or wants to do what I did and attempt a restoration. I've done it once and that's enough for me!

THIS! This is the other part of why I'm taking this 99 project on. Ive found that working on firearms is incredibly therapeutic. I throw on an audio book, and get cracking. If I dont know what I'm doing, I stop and research, and then get back to work. The Enfield I just restored is a prime example of that. I have very little wood working experience, and the stock needed some serious reduction to actually fit. Off to work, hand sanding until it took a couple hearty taps from a rubber mallet.

Its been years since I posted a photo on a traditional forum, as I mostly use Instagram now. I'll host some on photobucket and create a proper thread for the enfield build.

As for that mosin, send me a PM, I might be interested.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    THIS! This is the other part of why I'm taking this 99 project on. Ive found that working on firearms is incredibly therapeutic. I throw on an audio book, and get cracking. If I dont know what I'm doing, I stop and research, and then get back to work. The Enfield I just restored is a prime example of that. I have very little wood working experience, and the stock needed some serious reduction to actually fit. Off to work, hand sanding until it took a couple hearty taps from a rubber mallet.

Its been years since I posted a photo on a traditional forum, as I mostly use Instagram now. I'll host some on photobucket and create a proper thread for the enfield build.

As for that mosin, send me a PM, I might be interested.

What sucks is that I attended a New Year's Day auction in Chambersburg PA with a huge pile of barrels, actions, parts etc. Much of it Japanese. Parts went for cheap and I'm already starting to see some of it posted on Evil Pay. Would have been a perfect opportunity to scrounge some of what you need for the T99. That's where I got the M34.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom