• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Braces are somewhat endangered these days, aren't they?

Meh, everything's endangered these days. Get while the getting is good and realize there is not enough manpower to implement an actual confiscation. Worst case, you can always yank the brace off and "completely totally" just run it as a buffer tube pistol.... unless you need to not to.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I love my LWRC, have owned it for 5+ years and thousands of trouble free rounds down range. I bought mine back in early 2016 when they could be had for ~$1200

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    If you are looking for a good middle of the road AR that won't break the bank, I'd take a look at the IWI Zion15.

Darnold86

Sep 13, 2020
    If you are looking for a good middle of the road AR that won't break the bank, I'd take a look at the IWI Zion15.

I am looking to get one myself if I can find one. I want the 12.5 version but who knows what will happen with the ATF brace ruling.

Hulq

Dec 12, 2020
    Good complete rifles are very hard to find right now.

Windham Weaponry makes a MD compliant HBAR that is a nice buy.

Ruger and Delton both make Heavy Barrel AR variants that are kosher for MD, but at an extreme mark up right now. A Ruger 556 could be had for $499 all day long before Covid. I generally consider Delton and Ruger as “hobby grade”. Fine for plinking and fine if it’s all you can afford but there are certainly better options.

I get flamed endlessly for recommending Palmetto State Armory, but they do make an 18 inch HBAR complete upper (minus bolt and charging handle), using FN Cold Hammer Forged Barrels. For what it’s worth it’s a very decent upper. They’re rarely in stock these days and also marked up. I got one for $379 a year ago.

If budget allows, check out LWRC. They’re pricey but locally made and very high quality. They make MD compliant rifles.

Ballistic Advantage, Rosco, and Stag Arms make quality, high value HBAR barrels, but you’d have to assemble the upper yourself. Someone on here may be willing to help you.

Criterion makes a a few HBAR’s ranging from 16 to 20 inches and are high grade barrels.

Radical Firearms complete rifles seem to be popping up on shelves as of late, but I would avoid Radical at all cost. Really low end and a consistent track record of poor QC. They literally build rifles out of the cheapest available parts.

What I’ve tended to notice is that the higher end stuff, if/when you find it, actually hasn’t raised in price so much. But when you look at the low end, the prices are approaching what the top end looks like.

When a Daniel Defense costs $1800 and a Ruger 556 is selling for $1400+, we’ve got a problem.

I think your best bet is to follow a few local shops social channels, Instagram and Facebook, and see if/what they’re posting. Some have posted AR’s and such from time to time. But calling around asking if they have AR’s in stock right now will likely get you laughed at.

Regardless of the outcome, just know you are not getting a deal.
    LGS told me Radical was a good brand. Anybody had experience with Radical?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    LGS told me Radical was a good brand. Anybody had experience with Radical?

They have a rep that is hit or miss, qualitywise. I had a problem with a suppressor and they took care of it most ricky-tick. And I mean free shipped and back within a week.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Anyone familiar with Great Lakes Firearms GFLA AR15 :https://glfallc.com/glfa-223-wylde-rifle
    "Barrel: 16 inch, 1:8 Twist, Carbine Gas System, .750 Gas Block, M4 Feed Ramps, Heavy Barrel (HBAR)"

Saw one locally.

What I am wondering is what kind of quality is this. Not a lot of reviews. Is this like, a PSA with a paint job, PPSA, or what?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Anyone familiar with Great Lakes Firearms GFLA AR15 :https://glfallc.com/glfa-223-wylde-rifle
    "Barrel: 16 inch, 1:8 Twist, Carbine Gas System, .750 Gas Block, M4 Feed Ramps, Heavy Barrel (HBAR)"

Saw one locally.

What I am wondering is what kind of quality is this. Not a lot of reviews. Is this like, a PSA with a paint job, PPSA, or what?

Seams like a stab in the dark. They don't build it until you pay for it? Did I read that right? Has 43 reviews but I declined the cookies so :shrug:
    I've never heard of them, which shouldn't mean too much. Heck of a price if it is built right.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County

Saw one locally.

We have these in stock at the shop. We have sold a fair amount of these rifles and they are well built with a lifetime warranty. VERY hard to beat at their price point on value for money. Here is a link to some that are currently available for online ordering:

https://www.jlowesguns.com/catalog.php?search_for=glfa

Last edited:

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Seams like a stab in the dark. They don't build it until you pay for it? Did I read that right? Has 43 reviews but I declined the cookies so :shrug:
    I've never heard of them, which shouldn't mean too much. Heck of a price if it is built right.

local shops have them in stock, in various colors. Hard to say about the price, thats why I am asking. stripped AR cerakote, is probably $250, and I can get a upper + lower now sub 500. So the price seems fair depending on the parts+ build. Its a basic stock and grip, no optic, which ppl are going to replace instantly anyway. add $99 for a larue trigger. I would definitely not go with their optic or sling option. But I like the 223 wylde barrel and free float rail.

We have these in stock at the shop. We have sold a fair amount of these rifles and they are well built with a lifetime warranty. VERY hard to beat at their price point on value for money. Here is a link to some that are currently available for online ordering:

https://www.jlowesguns.com/catalog.php?search_for=glfa

So sell me on this. I assume the trigger is just a mil spec, but what about the barrel? Who makes it?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    local shops have them in stock, in various colors. Hard to say about the price, thats why I am asking. stripped AR cerakote, is probably $250, and I can get a upper + lower now sub 500. So the price seems fair depending on the parts+ build. Its a basic stock and grip, no optic, which ppl are going to replace instantly anyway. add $99 for a larue trigger. I would definitely not go with their optic or sling option. But I like the 223 wylde barrel and free float rail.

So sell me on this. I assume the trigger is just a mil spec, but what about the barrel? Who makes it?

Most companies will not disclose what OEM suppliers they use.

What does he have to sell you on? It's a basic build with a nitride treaded barrel for sub $700 and a warranty.

Can you do better with buying individual parts? Absolutely - but you need the right tools and knowhow.

And yes, you can safely assume this is a basic mil spec style trigger.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Most companies will not disclose what OEM suppliers they use.

What does he have to sell you on? It's a basic build with a nitride treaded barrel for sub $700 and a warranty.

Can you do better with buying individual parts? Absolutely - but you need the right tools and knowhow.

And yes, you can safely assume this is a basic mil spec style trigger.

Is it a basic build? You know that firsthand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom