• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triggerscan

Shooting Ventures, LLC
    Feb 11, 2010
    Monrovia, MD
    I have transferred many AR lower receivers to customers without the need for them having a HQL. I recently sent 2 applications to the MSP Portal, one for 4 Glock frames and one for a single Glock frame. One was "Not Disapproved" and one was returned to the customer saying he needed an HQL. I chatted with the MSP and discussed the 5-101 definition of a firearm (they both are), and that of a handgun (they are not, as they lack a barrel under 16"). The MSP stated that AR lower receivers do not need a HQL even though they can be built into pistols, but that frames of handguns DO need an HQL. They stated that "The ruling by the AG was that absent specific language in the law, the intention is to build these frames into handguns." So if you want a Glock frame to incorporate into a MechTech Carbine Conversion Kit to build a long gun, it seems to need a HQL. I suggested to the MSP that they issue and Advisory to clarify. Does anyone have any information on the AG ruling they referred to?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Considering a stripped frame is featureless, it can not be defined as a pistol or a rifle, until it is completed. The problem is that an AR lower can be built into a rifle or a pistol, depending on what the builder wants to do. A Glock frame can be built into a rifle, using certain parts kits, but most people just want to build a pistol. MSP is going with a pistol only build for a Glock frame, instead of realizing it is dual use like an AR lower. Technically, by law, a frame or receiver does not require an HQL, because it can be built into a rifle or a pistol.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Doesn't MSP think because it can be built into a pistol, it does require an HQL?

why were they requiring 77r's on stripped lowers?

Triggerscan

Shooting Ventures, LLC
    Feb 11, 2010
    Monrovia, MD

The only "legal" .223 ARs in MD (other than an SBR) are those with a heavy barrel (HBAR) and those are regulated, hence the need for a 77R. Since a lower receiver cannot be built into a banned weapon, the only allowed build is either as a pistol or a HBAR, and both require a 77R.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    The only "legal" .223 ARs in MD (other than an SBR) are those with a heavy barrel (HBAR) and those are regulated, hence the need for a 77R. Since a lower receiver cannot be built into a banned weapon, the only allowed build is either as a pistol or a HBAR, and both require a 77R.

I though Hbar .223/5.56 was cash and carry (4473)?

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Doesn't MSP think because it can be built into a pistol, it does require an HQL?

Because they can get away with it unless/until someone puts up the $$$$$$$ to challenge them in court. MSP firearms practice is immune from logic, reason, and/or law. As I understand it, they don't require HQL for an AR stripped lower, just the 77r

As Rab just said, there is no 77r for an HBAR rifle, only the Fed 4473. Pass NICS, pay the man, and walk out the door with your new rifle. Also perfectly legal (for now, at least) for FtF private sale.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

An HBAR AR-15 is NOT a regulated firearm and DOES NOT require a 77r to transfer the firearm.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Nope. HBAR does not require e77R

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

HBAR does not require a 77r.

It is cash and carry.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    Does a stripped glock frame need to go FFL to FFL when selling the lower ? I just sold one to a buyer in Ohio. Can I ship it personally to his FFL ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom