• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Had a pretty good week on Gunbroker, jumped on two "buy it now" bargains from sellers that didn't quite know what they had. The first, and best deal arrived today. It's an original Arisaka Type 99 Sniper made at the Nagoya Arsenal. Through dumb luck I came across it just 3 minutes after it was listed. The seller simply had it listed as an Arisaka 99, but a quick review revealed the great find that it is. in addition to the obvious scope mount on the left side of the receiver, the snipers were numbered with SNs and arsenal mark on the bridge of the receiver rather than the left side like other Type 99s. It has a defaced mum and mismatched bolt (although surprisingly it's a correct sniper bolt with the factory extended, bent handle), but on the upside the screws are all still staked and it's basically an 'out of the attic' find. Stole this one at $200 :) Now the search for an original 4x scope begins (although it will probably end up costing me $2k).

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
      IMG_1239.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 542
    • IMG_1236.jpg
      IMG_1236.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 551
    • IMG_1237.jpg
      IMG_1237.jpg
      70.9 KB · Views: 509
    • IMG_1238.jpg
      IMG_1238.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 544

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Jaw dropping. Stole it is a mild description. And I thought I got a great deal on my T99!
    Time to post to GB in the Japanese forum and see if anyone there has a correct scope that they might want to part with. Agree that you'll be looking at $1.5 -2K for the 2.5 power scope and mount but it's worth it considering how nice this example is. Sucks that the bolt doesn't match but that wouldn't stop me either. Congratulations!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Jaw dropping. Stole it is a mild description. And I thought I got a great deal on my T99!
    Time to post to GB in the Japanese forum and see if anyone there has a correct scope that they might want to part with. Agree that you'll be looking at $1.5 -2K for the 2.5 power scope and mount but it's worth it considering how nice this example is. Sucks that the bolt doesn't match but that wouldn't stop me either. Congratulations!

Yeah I was completely surprised by the mismatched bolt. Seller mentioned nothing about numbers but I saw the sniper bolt and thought that it just had to be matching since these are so hard to find and what would the chances be of it having a correct sniper bolt with a different number. The price was a no brainer either way though so there was still no hesitation on my part. When it came yesterday I couldn't believe it was mismatched, but oh well, I'll still take it! Lots of good comments from a thread I posted on GB for it, looks like the above average condition of the stock makes up a little ground on the mismatch. Had a couple offers that arrived via PM right away that blew me away compared to what I had expected.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm not at all surprised at the offers. That's a wonderful example. Hope your search for a scope and mount is successful!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Very Nice! I don't know how I missed it. I have about a dozen different searches set for them. :) Was it a Buy It Now?

Yep starting bid $150 with 'Buy It Now' at $200. It was simply listed as 'Arisaka Type 99'. I came across it exactly 3 minutes after it went up so it didn't last long :)

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Well nearly two years later after a lot of searching and saving up I decided to pull the trigger on a proper scope for the T99 sniper. Found a collector that had several to choose from, and settled on this one. An original 4x scope (correct type for my serial number) in real nice shape (even has original rubber eye cup!), made by Nippon Typewriter Co. (NTC) which was based in Hatagaya, Tokyo. It's numbered to a rifle only about 150 off from mine, so NTC is also the correct manufacturer for the range encompassing my serial number. About as close as I'm going to get to correct unless the mactching numbered scope to my gun surfaces some day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads