• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Good thread. One thing I think I would not do though is to have the initial meet and inspection of firearm in the MSP barracks parking lot while trying to shield what we are doing from anyone seeing. I would do this at another location then meet at MSP for transfer.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Excellent dsescription of the MSP process.

But just for Devil's Advocate, I'll point out the factor that may be the Achilles heel for some people. The buyer and seller have to meet in person twice. If both are close to each other , and have normal people schedules , no problem. But if they are some distance apart , or at least one of them has a different schedule ( night work , frequent travel , etc )meeting up an extra time can be a hassle. With an FFL transfer, seller can drop off at his convience , and buyer can likewise drop in at his convience. Even if in person inspection and payment, the seller is one step and done , and buyer can take care of their business at their timing.

Evealuate your situation and decide.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Thanks for the guide, this is very helpful. I now realize I will always use an FFL over MSP. It sounds like way too much of a PITA in order to save a few bucks - whichs is all it amounts to after gas and all the secretarial work. Having said that, I greatly appreciate your explanation of the process.

My description of the MSP transfer is long-winded because I wanted to cover every single detail I could think of to give folks confidence.

I recognize that my description of the MSP transfer makes it sound cumbersome but in person, it is just "show up, have MSP check firearm, do paperwork, and leave". I encourage anyone to try this process once. The money you save is worth 1, 2, or even 3 boxes of ammo.

Good thread. One thing I think I would not do though is to have the initial meet and inspection of firearm in the MSP barracks parking lot while trying to shield what we are doing from anyone seeing. I would do this at another location then meet at MSP for transfer.

The MSP parking lot is about the safest real estate on the planet. Troopers generally use a secured door on the other side of their buildings, so the MSP visitor parking lot almost always empty, and usually with a woods on three sides.

Folks are welcome to do inspections anywhere--just take care to make sure the public cannot see an uncased firearm.

forget to set your clock ahead?

Ha! Don't take no guff from the Swin Man!

Heat seeker, you and I do our best work at 4:52am, HOO rah!

CSJ

Dec 20, 2013
    Rockville
    Great post and very timely for my needs!

Has anyone done a transfer at the Rockville Barracks and had any problems? Will be transferring between family members so it should be straight forward.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I've done a trasnfer there. No issues. They don't take cash BTW. The trooper said they don't trust them with cash.. I think he was being sarcastic.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Great post and very timely for my needs!

Has anyone done a transfer at the Rockville Barracks and had any problems? Will be transferring between family members so it should be straight forward.

Last time I checked, transfers between eligible family members are free. Let me double check on that.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    great thread, great info

only thing I can add

see if it comes with a case - if not, use something - a cardboard box will work

I was a buyer and I bought a cardboard box for the seller to use

You don't want to be seen carrying a gun across the parking lot, if you are asked to bring it in into the barracks

CSJ

Dec 20, 2013
    Rockville
    Contrary to my wife"s opinion I do have some degree of common sense, such as don't bring any ammunition, magazines or walk around swinging a handgun .... But seriously when you talk about having the weapon cased does it need to be in a benign container? I have always used these pistol cases from Boyt to transport my pistols in my range bag and was planning to use this when going to the MSP Barracks. Should I be a little more discreet and choose a plain box to avoid any potential misunderstanding? (As I type this out I'm probably answering my own question). And as noted before - follow their explicit instructions

http://www.amazon.com/Boyt-Harness-...d=1425849086&sr=8-1&keywords=Boyt+pistol+case

Thanks!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    When I use the phrase "encased" I mean soft or hard carriers completely containing the fiream. No shoeboxes please, let's stay classy. (Not to mention, that a loaded firearm can be pulled on a trooper from a shoebox in the blink of an eye, as opposed to a zipped or snapped case--which can a give trooper a few milliseconds more to issue a command to halt and to react to a threat-- whether inadvertent or real).

If I recall, there is a provision for an "enclosed holster" for vehicle transport but I don't recommend it because of the relatively young age of troopers and an occasional lack of familiarity with this.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Contrary to my wife"s opinion I do have some degree of common sense, such as don't bring any ammunition, magazines or walk around swinging a handgun .... But seriously when you talk about having the weapon cased does it need to be in a benign container? I have always used these pistol cases from Boyt to transport my pistols in my range bag and was planning to use this when going to the MSP Barracks. Should I be a little more discreet and choose a plain box to avoid any potential misunderstanding? (As I type this out I'm probably answering my own question). And as noted before - follow their explicit instructions

http://www.amazon.com/Boyt-Harness-...d=1425849086&sr=8-1&keywords=Boyt+pistol+case

Thanks!

I'd say that soft case is a grade A carrier.

You can find cheap hard plastic pistol cases at Wally World and sometimes even Kresge's for as low as $8

CSJ

Dec 20, 2013
    Rockville
    OP thanks again for sharing your experience on the transfer.

As far as the soft cases goes these run about $25 bucks, have seen cases like it that are cheaper but the quality suffers a bit

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I've done a transfer as the buyer twice at the Glen Burnie barracks, even so I find the OP's post is a good recap of the process. This should probably be a sticky somewhere. One thing to add, besides the barracks, you can also use the MSP HQ in Pikesville, but they won't do transfers 24/7 there. If you want to transfer at Pikesville, call ahead and confirm their hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom