Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2019, 10:49 PM #351
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,008
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIBarrister View Post
Say all day. Nothing moving this morning that I could see. Around 330 about a dozen does came out grazing the far field about 200 yards from my climber. By 4 a big boy came in and chased them in and out of the field until after 5, but never in my direction. Just as I was getting ready to pack up this four pt and another he was cruising with cam walking by. first shot failed to go through (was leading his slow walk and he stopped as I shot so caught him in the shoulder. Climbed down and followed the lit nock the forty yards he tried to run and finished him. Lighted nicks are awesome (my first time with them) but they both broke on impact - light portion intact and working but the half moon is gone. These things are cool foraging tracking a lot easier if they lodge in like they did here, but at $10 each Iím not too happy with single use... at least I got my dead meat broadhead back.

I saw a review of the bolts I use that said they break lit nocks. They werenít kidding. I like the piledrivers for their accuracy and being hard hitting but I may look for a replacement.
I canít speak to run time...but this is what I started using https://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Cross...dp/B07FN4DY8Y/

They are fairly bright. Canít speak to runtime other than still work after an hour at least. Took a beating. One time I sink one in a doe the doe smashed the bolt in to 3 pieces and the head disappeared. Found the last 2Ē of the bolt and the nock laying in the bloody trail and it works fine still.

Have to figure out what your arrows or bolts need for size.

Bolts are still accurate with them. Had to click in slight adjustment compared to non-lighted. But they are 15gr compared to probably 4 or 5 for the unlighted ones.

Still group about 2Ē at 30yds from a rest.

It was neat to easily see the bolt zip out and could clearly tell it was a low lung/heart shot and it took off. Of course it smashed in to a sapling 10yds in to its run and shattered the bolt and left the lighted nock there...

But if it hadnít smashed it, I would have seen it poking up down by my creek rather than not being able to see the deer till I waited 45 minutes and crept 30yds down towards the creek and could finally see its belly 20yds from me.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 11:04 PM #352
AlBeight AlBeight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,223
AlBeight AlBeight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
Can someone explain the rules to me regarding buck harvesting? I read that a buck as defined has at least two points on one antler or one antler being more than 3 inches long. And then it says that you can take a buck that has at least three points on one antler. Does that mean that if you take a buck with one point per antler, longer than 3 inches, the next buck you take MUST have 3 points on an antler? And no bonus stamp needed for the second one? Can they both be taken during archery?
Any 2nd buck you take with any single weapon requires a bonus stamp, and you canít take 3 antlered deer in any season, period. A max total of 3 antlered deer for the whole season, and only one of those 3 can be less than a 6 point, basically.
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 11:05 PM #353
KIBarrister's Avatar
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island, Maryland
Posts: 1,284
KIBarrister KIBarrister is offline
Opinionated Libertarian
KIBarrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent Island, Maryland
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I canít speak to run time...but this is what I started using https://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Cross...dp/B07FN4DY8Y/

They are fairly bright. Canít speak to runtime other than still work after an hour at least. Took a beating. One time I sink one in a doe the doe smashed the bolt in to 3 pieces and the head disappeared. Found the last 2Ē of the bolt and the nock laying in the bloody trail and it works fine still.

Have to figure out what your arrows or bolts need for size.

Bolts are still accurate with them. Had to click in slight adjustment compared to non-lighted. But they are 15gr compared to probably 4 or 5 for the unlighted ones.

Still group about 2Ē at 30yds from a rest.

It was neat to easily see the bolt zip out and could clearly tell it was a low lung/heart shot and it took off. Of course it smashed in to a sapling 10yds in to its run and shattered the bolt and left the lighted nock there...

But if it hadnít smashed it, I would have seen it poking up down by my creek rather than not being able to see the deer till I waited 45 minutes and crept 30yds down towards the creek and could finally see its belly 20yds from me.
Damn, that price is a lot more palatable! Thanks!

I was looking at Black Eagle Executioner bolts but nervous to pull the trigger because of the cost of lighted nocks on top of $9 per bolt, but with that I think I can justify it.
KIBarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 11:29 PM #354
kingfish's Avatar
kingfish kingfish is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 486
kingfish kingfish is offline
Member
kingfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBeight View Post
Any 2nd buck you take with any single weapon requires a bonus stamp, and you canít take 3 antlered deer in any season, period. A max total of 3 antlered deer for the whole season, and only one of those 3 can be less than a 6 point, basically.
Ok, so if I want two deer during bow season, the second buck has to be taken with the extra stamp. But, if I shoot Two with a bow, one in bow season, the other during firearm season, that does not require an extra stamp? And so if one buck I harvest has one single spike longer than 3 inches, any remaining buck(s) I harvest must have three points on one antler? So if anyone in Maryland takes three bucks total, at least two of those bucks must have at least three points per antler?
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 12:20 AM #355
AlBeight AlBeight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,223
AlBeight AlBeight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
Ok, so if I want two deer during bow season, the second buck has to be taken with the extra stamp. But, if I shoot Two with a bow, one in bow season, the other during firearm season, that does not require an extra stamp? And so if one buck I harvest has one single spike longer than 3 inches, any remaining buck(s) I harvest must have three points on one antler? So if anyone in Maryland takes three bucks total, at least two of those bucks must have at least three points per antler?
Yes to all. If you shoot a buck with archery equipment during the firearms season, you check that deer to count against the firearms season buck limit, assuming you haven’t already gotten 3 bucks previously. If you got one before in early bow, and one in early muzzleloader season, you’re tagged out on bucks for the 2019-2020 season, unless you buy a bonus buck tag, then you can get your 3rd buck.

Last edited by AlBeight; November 9th, 2019 at 10:08 AM.
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 07:46 AM #356
Speed3 Speed3 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 5,411
Speed3 Speed3 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIBarrister View Post
Damn, that price is a lot more palatable! Thanks!

I was looking at Black Eagle Executioner bolts but nervous to pull the trigger because of the cost of lighted nocks on top of $9 per bolt, but with that I think I can justify it.
I shoot the executioner bolts, they are great. I stopped using lighted knocks because my bolts tend to shatter and never able to shoot them again.
Speed3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 04:04 PM #357
mdunphyjr's Avatar
mdunphyjr mdunphyjr is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North point / Dundalk
Posts: 759
mdunphyjr mdunphyjr is online now
Member
mdunphyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North point / Dundalk
Posts: 759
Whacked a swamp donkey today
Attached Images
 
mdunphyjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 04:16 PM #358
Ecestu Ecestu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 34
Ecestu Ecestu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunphyjr View Post
Whacked a swamp donkey today
Lol. Swamp donkey.
Ecestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 07:10 PM #359
Speed3 Speed3 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 5,411
Speed3 Speed3 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 5,411
Hunted this morning and saw nothing, of course around 345pm I look out the window and this guy following a doe. Never fails lol
Attached Images
 
Speed3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 08:14 PM #360
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,008
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBeight View Post
Yes to all. If you shoot a buck with archery equipment during the firearms season, you check that deer to count against the firearms season buck limit, assuming you havenít already gotten 3 bucks previously. If you got one before in early bow, and one in early muzzleloader season, youíre tagged out on bucks for the 2019-2020 season, unless you buy a bonus buck tag, then you can get your 3rd buck.
Correction only one antler needs 3 or more points.

I say that defensively having gotten a 5-pt last year and a 5-pt 2 hours ago...

Pics after I get it to the butcher. Neighbor is coming to help me haul it.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service