• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Rumor has it VA gun shows are better than MD gun shows.
    I am looking for a few lever .22s,,
    Can a MD resident purchase non-regulated long guns at a VA show?
    And just as important, will VA vendors sell to non VA residents?

What is a good show for "Non-black gun" guns?

Nick

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    You can buy firearms from FFLs there, no private sales since it's out-of-state. A lot of them will be weary about selling a MD resident anything that resembles an "assault weapon", they simply don't want to bother learning the law. There are a few exceptions though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes .
    Maybe. More likely with non- EBR .

I only have experience with Chantilly, Manassas, and Dale City . I've heard good things about Richmond and Fredericksburg .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Rumor has it VA gun shows are better than MD gun shows.
    I am looking for a few lever .22s,,

Can a MD resident purchase non-regulated long guns at a VA show?
    And just as important, will VA vendors sell to non VA residents?

What is a good show for "Non-black gun" guns?

Nick

There are no more 'regulated' long guns. They are either banned firearms, or if not they are cash and carry and can be bought from FFLs in other states. (No private sales from non-MD residents, as already stated).

Whether they 'will' sell or not depends upon whether they are familiar with the law and what is banned and what is not, or they are not familiar and don't want to risk violating the law.

All of these are decent and not too far from central MD. YMMV (literally :)) depending on your own location.

Chantilly VA (you just missed one)
    Gettysburg, PA
    York, PA

Chantilly is the biggest of these. For exact details incl table size, entrance fee, and upcoming dates, there are threads on each.

I realize you asked about VA and not PA... unfortunately Chantilly is the only VA show I've been to, the others are more distant for me. Depending upon where you are coming from, one of the PA shows might be worth considering also.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    You can buy non banned long guns from private (non FFL) sellers out of state, but you will have to arrange for the transfer to go through a FFL dealer, with a BG check.
    This usually adds $20-$30 to the cost, but I have had a lot of the sellers knock the transfer fee off of their asking price or pay for it out of their pocket.
    I find that a lot of the sellers, at PA shows, have already made arrangements with an FFL, to handle any handgun or out of state transfers.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No rumor VA & PA guns shows are way better than any MD show. I've been to enough in VA & PA to know that. I have purchased a long gun at Chantilly. You need two forms of ID (state law) driver's license, vehicle registration, gas & electric bill etc. As long as it is something that has your name and address on it as it is on your driver's license. The next VA show is Chantilly Feb. 8-9-10 you'll be amazed at what you see 1400 tables. Usually takes me four hours to walk up and down every isle. One and a half miles.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There are no more 'regulated' long guns. They are either banned firearms, or if not they are cash and carry and can be bought from FFLs in other states. (No private sales from non-MD residents, as already stated).

To be precise: regulated long guns (owned before October 2013) REMAIN regulated for the grandfathered owners —who must transport them in MD according to handgun rules and may not sell them within the state.

Since October 2013, the regulated configurations have been banned for sale to new owners.

Unloaded non-regulated long guns can ride in your vehicle 24/7 except for some MD cities don’t allow this. (You can google them).

This explanation is not meant to be picky, but to be more precise for the many new members and guests who log in here each day.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    The big box store I purchased a shotgun from in Virginia told me the rule was the purchasers state had to touch Virginia. And no handguns.
    I didn't question, just filled out the paperwork.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    To be precise: regulated long guns (owned before October 2013) REMAIN regulated for the grandfathered owners —who must transport them in MD according to handgun rules and may not sell them within the state.

Since October 2013, the regulated configurations have been banned for sale to new owners.

Unloaded non-regulated long guns can ride in your vehicle 24/7 except for some MD cities don’t allow this. (You can google them).

This explanation is not meant to be picky, but to be more precise for the many new members and guests who log in here each day.

Lawfully owned regulated long guns must be transported according to handgun rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The big box store I purchased a shotgun from in Virginia told me the rule was the purchasers state had to touch Virginia. And no handguns.
    I didn't question, just filled out the paperwork.

The touching state rule used to be in effect, until the advent of NICS. The no handgun purchase outside the state of residence is still in effect.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Yeah, the contiguous state rule hasn't been a thing for what? 20 years? It's amazing how ignorant many FFLs are.

There was court ruling that looked promising about handguns and being able to buy them out of state. Not sure what came of it. I think it was in Texas.

I started a list of dealers at the Chantilly show that are MD friendly. I'll see if I can dig it up later. Many are willfully ignorant and refuse to sell to MD residents.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    Yeah, the contiguous state rule hasn't been a thing for what? 20 years? It's amazing how ignorant many FFLs are.

There was court ruling that looked promising about handguns and being able to buy them out of state. Not sure what came of it. I think it was in Texas.

I started a list of dealers at the Chantilly show that are MD friendly. I'll see if I can dig it up later. Many are willfully ignorant and refuse to sell to MD residents.

That's funny that the rule is that out dated. I wasn't sure if it was a law or a store specific policy. The Dicks down there told my BIL the same thing the day before.

I have found at shows in VA, that a lot of dealers are very very weary of selling to Maryland residents. Having a MD ID is like walking around with a Scarlet letter at out of state shows and gun shops.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    So, If I am legally allowed to buy a non banned long gun (say a single shot H&R) from a VA dealer, and they refuse to sell to me,, can I sue for discrimination?? or is that only for cakes?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Can you clarify please? Did you mean certain big box stores have this rule?

All gun shops and private sellers must abide by the handgun/frame/receiver transfer section of GCA 1968, which states that the transfer of such a firearm MUST take place in the state you hold residence. If you buy a handgun at Cabela's in PA, they are required by law to ship it to a FFL in MD to effect the transfer to you.

It is not a rule, it is Federal law.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I skip the gun shows these days, fun to see all the stuff but the prices appear inflated. Find much better prices at GymRatz in Mechanicsville. Or for fun I travel over 301 to Virginia, stop off at Big Dog, and the best place, Green Top. I have bought long guns from both, no issue being a Maryland resident (not for much longer :) )

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    All gun shops and private sellers must abide by the handgun/frame/receiver transfer section of GCA 1968, which states that the transfer of such a firearm MUST take place in the state you hold residence. If you buy a handgun at Cabela's in PA, they are required by law to ship it to a FFL in MD to effect the transfer to you.

It is not a rule, it is Federal law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    Oops. Premature previous post.

That is my understanding. My initial interpretation of your statement was that one could not purchase a handgun outside their state of residence, period. I was pretty sure that was not what you meant, so thanks for the quick clarification.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The contiguous state went away with FOPA in 1986 . It had been in effect for 18yrs, gone now for 32yrs , but seems to live forever .

Javo J-10 - That discussion comes down to semantics . Generally speaking , under Federal Law , Purchase = The place where 4473 is filled out, and pistol physically changes hands . This must happen in your state of Residency .

Looking , fondling , reaching agreements, exchanging money, etc w/o taking physical possession , or doing the paperwork is not a purchase , and may happen anywhere , or virtually . ( Ignoring FFL 003, and certain State laws )

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    Yes, that was exactly my misunderstanding. I inferred “purchase” to have occurred in the place I paid my money for the firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom