• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    We had a similar response from our pastor. I totally get it that half the people are upset and as Christians we should have some empathy for those who are hurting. I don't get it that all those disappointed Christians need to huddle together and have a collective pity party complete with wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth.

We used to go to a mega churchey type church and used to experience this as well with every political and social thing that came around. It drove me nuts at the time. God is on His throne and directing the events of the entire world or He isn't. If He is, then what is all the fuss about. If He isn't then we have bigger problems.

It is as if we do not have the Holy Spirit in us directing us and corralling us when we go off the reservation. An older pastor that I like to listen to always used to say, there is only one Holy Spirit...and you are not Him.

Boiled down it comes to a philosophy of ministry issue - we only have so much time to speak each week, do we fill it with God's Word or my opinion - only one of them is perfect and eternal.

I live in Southwest Baltimore County and I find that after 35 years of attending my local church, the pastor's sermon last week concerning how we must be sympathetic and aware of the fear and hate being experienced by certain minority groups resulting from the election of President-Elect Trump, has finally made me just to uncomfortable too stay. I walked out on his sermon and now find myself looking for a church. I come out of the Protestant tradition and have always been active in the church, and am now looking for a smaller conservative congregation to attend and share in worship. Anyone have a recommendation?

As P5 said, I am the pastor of Calvary Catonsville and I heartily recommend it as a church.:lol2: We are a simple church that is focused on worshipping Jesus, teaching through each book of the Bible, a relaxed atmosphere and trying to be a church family - modeled after Acts 2:42.

Can't guarantee we are your cup of tea, everybody is different and has church preferences, but you definitely will not get a political agenda or the social justice gospel -- just the Bible....and quite a few shooters as well.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

There are some other churches in the area that I have heard good things about - what are you looking for?

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    I totally understand. My denomination as a whole is pushing the social justice agenda and the union has gone all ape pucky about Clinton losing. It's really hard to be a member of such a church. :( I hope you find what you're looking for.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    I totally understand. My denomination as a whole is pushing the social justice agenda and the union has gone all ape pucky about Clinton losing. It's really hard to be a member of such a church. :( I hope you find what you're looking for.

So why do you stay with them? Just truly wondering.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    You've never heard of Methodists? :innocent0

yeap....does this sound like Republican doctrine.........

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/gun-violence

2. educate the United Methodist community (parents, children, and youth) on gun safety, violence prevention, adult responsibility around gun violence prevention, and the public health impact of gun violence;

3. identify community-based, state, and national organizations working on the issue of gun violence and seek their assistance to design education and prevention workshops around the issue of gun violence and its effect on children and youth;

4 .develop advocacy groups within local congregations to advocate for the eventual reduction of the availability of guns in society with a particular emphasis upon handguns, handgun ammunition, assault weapons, automatic weapons, automatic weapon conversion kits, and guns that cannot be detected by traditionally used metal detection devices. These groups can be linked to community-based, state, and national organizations working on gun and violence issues;

5. support federal legislation in the US Congress to regulate the importation, manufacturing, sale, and possession of guns and ammunition by the general public. Such legislation should include provisions for the registration and licensing of gun purchasers and owners, appropriate background investigation and waiting periods prior to gun purchase, and regulation of subsequent sale;

6. call upon all governments of the world in which there is a United Methodist presence to establish national bans on ownership by the general public of handguns, assault weapons, automatic weapon conversion kits, and weapons that cannot be detected by traditionally used metal-detection devices;

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    yeap....does this sound like Republican doctrine.........

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/gun-violence

It goes to a fundamental understanding of what a church is and what it is here for.

Some believe that a church is the structure/denomination and it is here to do good - to change social, economic situations through exertion of its group power. Like the shriners but from Jesus.

Others like me believe that we are the church, each believer and we are here to spread the Gospel and introduce people to a life with Christ.

Putting other things in the way of that, including those meant with good intentions and that I agree with politically/socially, is getting in the way of Jesus' calling for us. The great commission is to make disciples of every nation, baptizing them and teaching them to obey Jesus.....not oppose guns or fight drug use.

The Gospel is the only thing that can truly change lives. It does lead to good deeds, feeding the hungry, taking care of the widows etc,but that is the result of people changed, not the main mission of the church.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is now my favorite reading, from second letter to the Thessalonians, Chapter 3:

Brothers and sisters:
    You know how one must imitate us.
    For we did not act in a disorderly way among you,
    nor did we eat food received free from anyone.
    On the contrary, in toil and drudgery, night and day
    we worked, so as not to burden any of you.
    Not that we do not have the right.
    Rather, we wanted to present ourselves as a model for you,
    so that you might imitate us.
    In fact, when we were with you,
    we instructed you that if anyone was unwilling to work,
    neither should that one eat.
    We hear that some are conducting themselves among you in a
    disorderly way,
    by not keeping busy but minding the business of others.

Such people we instruct and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to work quietly
    and to eat their own food.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Look for a Presbyterian Church, Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), not PC-USA. PCA theology is sound. Worship styles will vary.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    So why do you stay with them? Just truly wondering.

The underlying doctrine, ironically speaking. I grew up in the church and still believe in many of its unique doctrines such as Sabbath observance, but I guess its promotion of a vegetarian diet attracts the progressive minded believers. Unfortunately I haven't gone to church in years but I do watch services from other congregations online each week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom