• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    So I've searched over and over... What is the current measurement FFL's are using for HBAR? Is it over .750 behind the gas block? And in front of the gas block? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Only tidbits of information are available in other threads, and it usually relates to specific guns. I am looking to replace just a barrel.
    Thanks!

Edit: here is what we have so far

Some common HBAR barrel profiles:

In front of gas block:
    Colt: .725
    Windham: .750

Gas block:
    Colt: .750

Behind gas block:
    Colt: .850 for 3" to .950 for 2.25" to .985 for 1.5"
    Windham: .850 for 1.5" to .950 for 4" to .985 for 1.75

Last edited:

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    What is the current rifle you have? If it's a currently banned rifle that you owned pre-10/1 you can put whatever barrel you want on it. Not sure if that applies to you or not.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    And, while you're at it:

Does it need to be stamped to be legally considered heavy?

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    What is the current rifle you have? If it's a currently banned rifle that you owned pre-10/1 you can put whatever barrel you want on it. Not sure if that applies or not.

It's a post 10/1 Colt HBAR... Should have specified that, but this is for many people looking to keep their post 10/1 SBRs legal by using a heavy barrel profile. In my case, I'm looking for a 10.5 HBAR, but there has been much discussion of just finding a good operational definition of HBAR to use that relies on measurements rather than declaration by manufacturer.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    And, while you're at it:

Does it need to be stamped to be legally considered heavy?

I think this is a no, but I'm not sure. The only stamped barrel I can think of off hand is the Colt 6721. I know the Windham is not.

The guys over at engage stamp their barrels too if I recall correctly.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Some folks are calling .980 from the extension ring to the gas block a legal heavy barrel.

Can't imagine you'd need a stamp with this. Cuzz they are indeed heavy.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Can anyone call engage and check? I can't right now. I feel like they would know because they manufacture.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    No HBAR stamp required.

MSP told us the FFL has to be able to "articulate" that it was a heavy barrel if they sold it C&C or post October.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Okay, one last potential hijack then.....

How about an HBAR (built/unstamped) originally bought pre 10/1 as "regulated". Think an individual could offer that cash & carry?

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    No HBAR stamp required.

MSP told us the FFL has to be able to "articulate" that it was a heavy barrel if they sold it C&C or post October.

What the what? So if you were to replace a barrel, would it be reasonable to articulate that a >.750 after the gas block, .750 gas block, and >.726 before the gas block barrel was good to go? No one wants to convert to an illegal format.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I'd want one stamped in the current environment, to be sure. Just because it doesn't have to be, doesn't mean that if it comes up, you wouldn't want that stamp sitting right there in plain view.

Gundahar

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As A1 replied above , you are asking an excellent question that has no explicit answer. What Greg quoted is not paraphrased , that IS the MSP guidence.

As one person's interpetation of a prudent aproach :

Make sure that you replacement bbl is equal or larger in dia at any comparitive point than your stock Colt HBAR Bbl , and there should be no room to raise a question.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    A stamp alone means nothing. I could stamp any barrel HBAR, would that make it one? No, you, or the officer questioning you would need to know the differance physically and not rely on a stamp.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    A stamp alone means nothing. I could stamp any barrel HBAR, would that make it one? No, you, or the officer questioning you would need to know the differance physically and not rely on a stamp.

The stamp (alone) may be meaningless, but, how about a heavy barrel that is NOT stamped?

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Don't worry, I have a pending form 1. Won't take possession of the barrel until the form one is approved. It will be a HBAR SBR and >26", only have one evil feature, and not an ALG.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Some common HBAR barrel profiles:

In front of gas block:
    Colt: .725

Gas block:
    Colt: .750

Behind gas block:
    Colt: .850 for 3" to .950 for 2.25" to .985 for 1.5"
    Windham: .850 for 1.5" to .950 for 4" to .985 for 1.75

Big thanks to sb281 blaster
    Let's try and keep adding to this list

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Black Hole Weaponry 16" SS Mid-length is listed as "HBAR profile" and is .88 inches from barrel nut to gas block, .75 inches at gas block journal, and .73 inches in front of it to muzzle threads. weighs 2.2 pounds.

I bought one from this site:

http://www.surplusammo.com/blackhol...-length-stainless-steel-5-56-1-8-poly-barrel/

back in November. it's going on a post-10/1 stripped lower waiting in Iowa so I can bring it back into MD as an HBAR....although I may eventually re-build that lower with a Mk12 Mod H upper. :D

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Does part of the HBAR qualification entail not being able to accept an M203?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom