• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    when issues like that of "Good Friday" occur and steal the rights of gun owners? Does anyone know what Shannon Alford does when she sees the state legislature blatantly trample the constitution? Just curious. It was so blatant and out in the open that I can't imagine that someone of some importance isn't going to take up the issue. While not directly related to Woolard, Gura should be provided with this info so he can build a case for the illegal activity of the MGA.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What can any of us do? We did all we could and they still stampeded over both the state and national constitutions. Should this bill actually pass this week, I believe the next step is the Courts. Guessing that Gura and the 2nd Amendment Foundation are probably already thinking about going to Court over what happened in New York. A SCOTUS ruling that banning assault weapons is unconstitutional would fix the problem here in Maryland in that regard, but it takes years to make it to SCOTUS.

What we can do now is to donate money to the cause. Both to the NRA and to the 2nd Amendment Foundation. We can also donate money to any people running against those that voted in favor of this bill. We can donate time to MSI, the NRA, and the 2A Foundation if they need it.

What the pro 2nd Amendment masses need is guidance on what should be done. I think the NRA helps in that regard as far as giving ratings to politicians that are running. Thing is, we need those ratings in the primaries for Democrats that are running because NO Republican is getting elected in the majority of this state. We need to beat the gun grabbers at the primaries. We need to get 2nd Amendment supporters in Montgomery County, PG County, Baltimore City, etc. switching over to the Democratic party so they can influence the candidate election at the Democratic primary since they have NO chance of electing a Republican or other candidate in the general election.

We ALL need to do our part, no matter how much influence we may have. We CANNOT rely solely on others to do this. I think my family is going to be in for a shock shortly. Don't think any of them really cared about this and my mom kept telling me there is no way this is going to pass. Now, wait until they want to go and buy a handgun or an "assault weapon". I think they are going to be surprised. My sisters are interested in handguns right now. Wait until they find that absolutely nothing is on the shelves in Maryland.

Me, I am a Benefactor Member of the NRA and am going to start putting some more money and time into this matter. We must ALL do what we can to stop this sort of thing, and hopefully reverse most of the mess that our legislators are creating.

I'm going to start riding my bicycle with a trailer on it to the grocery store to buy groceries. Going to put a sign on the back stating "Thanks to Martin O'Malley and our legislators, with their new gas tax, I cannot afford to drive to the grocery store." It should be epic as I block an entire lane of traffic while doing 15 mph. lol

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Only so much that she can do there at that time. I'm sure she is in constant contact with NRA-ILA and giving them the sordid details. Remember, none of this is final yet, until the final vote. Once that comes in, an assessment can be made, and an action plan put into place.

I'm just glad she's there, and on our side.

MH

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A lot of people feel that if we'd just used a different strategy we could have defeated this. You saw what we had to work with in that committee room. They are obviously not worried about us. We have never been a threat to their seats before, and just because we show up in numbers doesn't mean we can get them out of office. They aren't afraid. They need to be. 2014.

Did you know that one of the delegates looked at those who wrote opposing the bill and 40% WERE NOT registered to vote? If we can keep up momentum, if we can get some of the people who gave us assurances they would vote one way before they voted another out of office, then we can look these people in the eye ans say "we will work against you" and there will be a viable threat behind it.

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    A lot of people feel that if we'd just used a different strategy we could have defeated this. You saw what we had to work with in that committee room. They are obviously not worried about us. We have never been a threat to their seats before, and just because we show up in numbers doesn't mean we can get them out of office. They aren't afraid. They need to be. 2014.

Did you know that one of the delegates looked at those who wrote opposing the bill and 40% WERE NOT registered to vote? If we can keep up momentum, if we can get some of the people who gave us assurances they would vote one way before they voted another out of office, then we can look these people in the eye ans say "we will work against you" and there will be a viable threat behind it.

WTF? How in the hell do you go though life without being registered to vote? unbelievable. Did they just show up for the pageantry? Are we the people permitted to have voter registration at our rallies?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    WTF? How in the hell do you go though life without being registered to vote? unbelievable. Did they just show up for the pageantry? Are we the people permitted to having voter registration at our rallies?

Exactly. We had other registration at one of the March rallies.

codefive

Jun 9, 2012
    WTF? How in the hell do you go though life without being registered to vote? unbelievable. Did they just show up for the pageantry? Are we the people permitted to have voter registration at our rallies?

That 40% number isnt surprising really ... Think about how many people think the voting is "fixed" and that "their vote doesnt count anyway". I hear that all the time. I did not vote for many years. It wasnt until something got me very upset and then I got in volved and when I asked "What can I do?" everyone said VOTE. Look at the illegals & dead people that vote, look at the number of people that vote multiple times ... its is frustrating to have any faith in the system but eventually, some people figure it out.

Just remember back in 1994 ... hopefully we see a repeat on the local level come election time. Those who are not registered have plenty of time to sign up. THAT is something the elected officials (who wrote the 40% off) did not think about. Piss the people off ... they will register JUST to vote them out if nothing else. Sometimes that is what it takes to get people involved. They just have to lose something important to them.

Mr H

Banana'd
    when issues like that of "Good Friday" occur and steal the rights of gun owners? Does anyone know what Shannon Alford does when she sees the state legislature blatantly trample the constitution? Just curious. It was so blatant and out in the open that I can't imagine that someone of some importance isn't going to take up the issue. While not directly related to Woolard, Gura should be provided with this info so he can build a case for the illegal activity of the MGA.

I do know she can turn some interesting shades of red...:mad54:

But in reality, I think all that can be done by anyone at this point is regroup, reassess, and redeploy.

Next step, Tuesday. Then we see what comes after.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    OMalley has them convinced we are a minority and Bloomberg will step up with cash.

Next year there is a lot in our favor including the gas tax. People are not one issue voters (mainly) so turnout, outreach in PG and BC, and registration are key. A referendum on the ballot might help.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    That 40% number isnt surprising really ... Think about how many people think the voting is "fixed" and that "their vote doesnt count anyway". I hear that all the time. I did not vote for many years. It wasnt until something got me very upset and then I got in volved and when I asked "What can I do?" everyone said VOTE. Look at the illegals & dead people that vote, look at the number of people that vote multiple times ... its is frustrating to have any faith in the system but eventually, some people figure it out.

Just remember back in 1994 ... hopefully we see a repeat on the local level come election time. Those who are not registered have plenty of time to sign up. THAT is something the elected officials (who wrote the 40% off) did not think about. Piss the people off ... they will register JUST to vote them out if nothing else. Sometimes that is what it takes to get people involved. They just have to lose something important to them.

Eventually, some people get arrested and jailed for election tampering. Don't worry, karma gets those in the end. Look at the school officials in Atlanta that just got busted for tampering with student test scores. Cheaters usually get caught, and those that don't get caught spend their lives worrying about getting caught.

Me, I am shocked that 40% of the people that wrote the General Assembly were not registered to vote. Then again, I keep beating on my brothers to join the NRA and they haven't even though I know the membership dues are a drop in the bucket for both of them.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    ... Did you know that one of the delegates looked at those who wrote opposing the bill and 40% WERE NOT registered to vote? ...

I registered to vote on my 18th birthday. I couldn't wait for that day to arrive. Whenever I've moved, that has always been something I took care of the first month.

Whether or not you feel your vote counts, you can be assured it won't count if you're not registered in the first place.

Maryland actually let's you register at the age of 17 if you will be 18 by election day.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I registered to vote on my 18th birthday. I couldn't wait for that day to arrive. Whenever I've moved, that has always been something I took care of the first month.

Whether or not you feel your vote counts, you can be assured it won't count if you're not registered in the first place.

Maryland actually let's you register at the age of 17 if you will be 18 by election day.

I remember registering for Selective Service, and registering to vote, as soon as I was allowed to. I just thought that that was what everyone did. Of course, I was raised to accept person responsibility too. Crazy times.:rolleyes:

MH

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    The 40% figure is a big over-estimate. If you put any name other than your given first and last name, then you would show up as not being registered simply because they wouldn't be able to find you. Is your name James and you sign Jimmy? Is your name Robert and you sign Rob? William and you sign Will?

It's about as credible as the other 40% figure (40% of guns are sold without a background checks).

I'm sure there are some of us that aren't registered, but I'm certain it's not 40%.

flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    TO the OP's original question, I pose one. If David Keene, or Wayne LaPierre were here instead of Shannon do you believe the Good Friday Massacre would have had a different outcome? I dont...Dumais said it best in a group meeting on Tuesday"...Often times its politics" Some democrats take the ends justify the means approach to everything, and if key committee members need something from the Governors office for their districts, or their own political careers then they will do what they are asked not what they think is right. Its also important to point out that the other side holds a majority when it comes to votes. Now we can work on fixing this, we can educate through public campaigns, we can all step it up for the next election, but the test of all of our resolve will be when we have to step away from the computer and get out there and do it. Many people are doing that, many cant because of other obligations, and still many more are not informed or figure someone else will take care of it. Its the last 2 categories we need to work on. We all need to sacrifice in order to improve the situation, or we will all share in the continued loss of our civil rights.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The NRA hasn't been blind to what's going on here. My gmail inbox is littered with notices from them. I've received foreboding bright orange letters in the mail telling me to get off my ass and do something. There are many of us in state that aren't MSI or on MDS, but are NRA members. I think they've done as much as they can at the moment. Shannon has been excellent and I'm thankful for her representation.

When things get dirty, the NRA will come in with legal dollars. Look at NY. Had Cuomo's bill not been slid under the door, they most likely would have had a larger impact against it and it'd be slow going like our bill has.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The 40% figure is a big over-estimate. If you put any name other than your given first and last name, then you would show up as not being registered simply because they wouldn't be able to find you. Is your name James and you sign Jimmy? Is your name Robert and you sign Rob? William and you sign Will?

It's about as credible as the other 40% figure (40% of guns are sold without a background checks).

I'm sure there are some of us that aren't registered, but I'm certain it's not 40%.

I am of the belief that the 40% figure also included "Unaffiliated" voters. Nothing to back it up, other than the reception I received while I in that condition.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    What does anyone do? The same thing happened when the Senate voted. I believe that if voters saw what happens in the Committees and on the floor they would be appalled.

I suspect that this thing happens on ALL bills. There is no way that the legislature can evaluate or even understand what is in the bills they are voting on (don't they vote on hundreds in the 90 day session?). When the legislature questions the bills presenter the presenter makes up stuff on the fly (happend in both the senate and now the delegate side).

I am convinced after following this that EVERY bill is, "we have to pass it to see what is in it".

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    And if you don't believe they take the time to check and see if the people that are writing them are registered voters, they do. We were told after the vote on friday that his office checked on a lot of people and, for him, 25% were not registered voters. So threats from people that can't hurt them mean nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom