• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I have gone and done it. My Samsung laptop won't let me in until I change the password. Only problem is, I can't remember the old one to change it.

Can anyone help me here?:o

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Did you change your normal password or is it just not working?

My shift key got stuck down once when I didn't realize it and my password stopped working because everything was capitalized.

If you set it to something random you don't know... That's a tough one. I vaguely remember there being a fix, but it's not direct and certainly not simple.

MDoldtimer

Jan 12, 2009
    John, there is a company called MicroCenter. They are located in Towson off of Joppa Rd., and Saytr Hill Rd. They are a great store. I have purchased a number of computers from them. They have a section inside of the store called the Knowledge Bar. It is staffed by knowledgeable young people who will give you advice and actually for something like this they will probably fix the problem in front of you while you wait. They do not require that the computer have been purchased there. This is a way that they attract customers. Be sure to take your power cord with you for a laptop. Other computers they do not need the power cord as they are standard. You can find their company at www.microcenter.com. They are all over the country but only two stores in MD, the other one being in Rockville. I am sure that they can help you. MDoldtimer

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    No, I always had the computer "remember" without me having to enter it everytime. I tried all my old ones, but so far, no luck.

raw

That said, I second MicroCenter or a similar business. This is for logging into Windows, correct?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    www.howtogeek.com has several tutorials on what to do. It really depends on what version of windows you are using. If you don't have any blank DVD's or flash drives sitting around, Micro Center would be the better option.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I have gone and done it. My Samsung laptop won't let me in until I change the password. Only problem is, I can't remember the old one to change it.

Can anyone help me here?:o

As mentioned, it may depend on your Winders version. I like the idea of MicroCenter if you have the time. Some good geeks work there.

If you can't make it there, or find it's too much money/hassle, let me know. I live in Carroll County and can probably help if nothing else works out. I have half a dozen or so recovery options at home. Let me know if you still need help with this.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Do you have a install disk? I just had to do this for the Boy's inlaws.... tried using the pogostick route but that didn't work... your not going to do a complete re-install...just make sure to read the entire screen... from the disk it let me go back to a restore time,,, when they had not created a PW... nothing was lost on the computer.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    You using a Microsoft account or a local computer account?

If you are using a Microsoft account you might be able to go to another PC and go to their web site and reset it

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    My mother had the same issue at some point and I think Best Buy helped her though I can't say how much they charged her. I believe it was also windows XP so 7+ may be different.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If the drive is not encrypted, you can get the data.

For Windows 7, it is pretty secure, so not sure you will be able to reset passwords.

In the corporate world, we have separate admin accounts and can do the user pW reset no issue. Sounds like you do not have another admin account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom