• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is this typical? This is 50 yards 3 shots with and without suppressor. Suppressor POI is noticeably lower.

Form 1 D cell can

Attachments

• image-711331012.jpg
      image-711331012.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 579
    • image-2875820071.jpg
      image-2875820071.jpg
      87.4 KB · Views: 472

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    It has been my experience that some cans have a significant POI change. I have a 556 can that lowers impact about 4 1/2 in at 100 yds. However, my Griffin Checkmate has little or no change, and my YHM 762 can has little to no change.

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    Yep that looks about normal.

My 20oz Saker 7.62 has a .8 Mil drop across the board. At 100yds, its about 2.5"

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have an unproven theory that; the more centered the gun bore is to the can, the less POI shift you get. I'm not saying it's true. Just a theory I'd love to see worked out.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have an unproven theory that; the more centered the gun bore is to the can, the less POI shift you get. I'm not saying it's true. Just a theory I'd love to see worked out.

I should be able to add another washer or two and rotate the can and then see some POI shift in that case.
    My can threads onto the barrel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I should be able to add another washer or two and rotate the can and then see some POI shift in that case.
    My can threads onto the barrel.

It probably isn't the can that's off. More than likely the barrel is not threaded to the bore. Many times barrels are threaded to the circumference of the barrel. If you find someone with a bore gauge it will tell you if and what isn't centered. If the gauge is closer to one side of the suppressor, gently rotate the can to see if it changes. If it changes, it's the can. If it doesn't, then it is the barrel.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    It's normal. You're adding weight to the end of the barrel and effecting the harmonics. I put a muzzle break on my Ruger Precision and the shift was almost two inches down. Put the same break on my heavy barrel 308 and it was about 1/2" down.

Now, when I put my magnetospeed chrono on my rifles the impact goes up about an inch and a half....

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a pretty big brake I use on it and POI barely moved at 100 yds when I first put it on.
    This was the first day with it. When I got home it was rattling inside. I think I did not have the baffles tight enough . I need to check into it. But not so sure that is the problem. Does the number of baffles I use have an effect on pOI ?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It seems to be suppressor dependent.

ThunderBeast are know to have very little POI shift, no matter which caliber.

Others have significant POI shift.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The POI shift with subsonic vs non suppressed was about the same
    Top 3 unsuppressed

Attachments

• image-2500547984.jpg
      image-2500547984.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 272
    Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is that a vertical shift or a right hand shift? I would rather a vertical than horizontal.

GuitarGuy

Nov 1, 2007
    Germantown, MD
    Poi shift will vary based on several factors:

Shift in the vertical direction is usually caused by the extra mass at the end of the barrel, this generally orients the muzzle downward from its normal position. This will vary based on the weight of the can and the rigidity of the barrel which is influenced by its thickness, profile and length.

Shift in a lateral direction is generally caused by the type of turbulence created by the specific type of baffle stack in the can. Some cans create what is known as "off-axis" turbulence which can result in a left or right shift.

Of note - certain barrel/can combinations can be benifitial to accuracy in terms of group size (yes poi will still shift). Basically when the round discharges, your entire weapon vibrates at a specific resonance, your barrel actually moves like a tuning fork and getting rounds to exit the muzzle at the same point in the oscillation pattern is what creates a tightly grouping gun. This of course has to do with the consistency of the ammunition load as well, basically making sure the bullet reaches the muzzle in the same amount of time every shot will allow it to exit the barrel at the same location in its oscillation pattern. In some cases adding a supressor will reduce the amplitude of these vibrations (think barrel weights), and in others the can may add enough length that the bullet exits the can at a "node" - the point in a wave pattern that neither rises nor falls.

Probably way more info than anyone cares to hear but food for thought nonetheless. Hope to see you all out on the range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IMO you are better off documenting the shift, and dialing in the correction.

Or buy ThunderBeast suppressors. :)

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Nor does my YHM phantom.

Is your Phanton direct thread or QD? I was amazed at the POI shift on my YHM Phantom with the QD mount.

I tried to get a Thunderbeast but they are scarce as workboots in Baltimore. So, I went with a direct thread AAC 300. Reviews seemed pretty similar to the Thunderbeast in terms of minimal POI shift.

I'm wondering if there is a way I can "tune" my Phantom since yours has no shift. I'd like to be able to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom