• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    School me on Luger vs 1911 Government Model

German Luger vs Colt 1911 Government models (C&R)

I would love to add a Luger (shooter grade) to my group or, if cannot find one, a 1911.

Continental has a "pristine" Luger for $3800. Never been fired, but way out of my league. They also have 4 1911's ranging up to $1900.

I have fired a Luger before and it fits really good in my hand. Never fired a 1911.

If I get really lucky, maybe swing both.

What say you?

Last edited:

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    BigCity,

I have both. Luger's generally seem to start at $900ish for shooter grade and a good example can be found from $900-$1,500 in good shootable shape. I have a friend that collect German guns exclusively. The worth of some of his Luger's make me cringe, but it's a collector's market and everyone thinks their super neat. BTW, one's for sale in the classifieds.

I don't have any "collector grade" 1911's but have a few nice shooters. A Rock Island Arsenal is a very good bargain for a starter 1911. The options from there are endless. I love shooting 1911's and replacement parts are readily available. Parts for Luger's are available, but far more expensive.

I'd recommend a good shooter grade 1911 simply because there are far more options to fit your specific needs, then get a Luger down the road when you find yourself a bargain.

-Whitey

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    BigCity,

I have both. Luger's generally seem to start at $900ish for shooter grade and a good example can be found from $900-$1,500 in good shootable shape. I have a friend that collect German guns exclusively. The worth of some of his Luger's make me cringe, but it's a collector's market and everyone thinks their super neat. BTW, one's for sale in the classifieds.

I don't have any "collector grade" 1911's but have a few nice shooters. A Rock Island Arsenal is a very good bargain for a starter 1911. The options from there are endless. I love shooting 1911's and replacement parts are readily available. Parts for Luger's are available, but far more expensive.

I'd recommend a good shooter grade 1911 simply because there are far more options to fit your specific needs, then get a Luger down the road when you find yourself a bargain.

-Whitey

Hey Whitey, I believe Big City is lookin' for a USGI 1911 or 1911-A1, not recent manufacture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom