• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    I have a Konus scope that I have used for probably 5 years or so. I mostly use it at the AGC 200yard range but I have used it without a problem out to 600 yards.

I would like to offer the following points for consideration. While I have not had a problem with my scope, I have heard that will break easily if dropped or knocked over. One person i know has been through several Konus scopes. Do you buy an inexpensive one and possibly have to purchase a replacement or do you pay once and cry once for a Kowa. At some point I plan to make that jump but with the scope and eyepiece are over $800.

This brings me to my second point. Give a lot of consideration to the type of stand or tripod you will use with your scope. A flimsy plastic tripod, or stand with a thin pole may not provide the best support. A large photography tripod does not work well if the firing line is crowded. I would recommend the scope head from first strike products it is easy to adjust. They also have a stand that looks very similar to the one I purchased from Ray-Vin before they stopped making them.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Buy once, cry once- Kowa, Celestron, Leica. Be aware zoom eyepieces have crappy eye relief, a critical factor if you wear glasses.

Biff, Creedmore Sports makes the Ray-Vin under license now and their own Polecat is a nice stand as well.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Buy this small telescope and see all the holes you want at 100 yards including the details of the rips in the paper. To boot you can easily go beyond to 300, 400 yards or more. The limiting factor will be heat dissipation from the ground, not this astronomy scope with a correct/erect image diagonal.

Grab this little zoom eyepiece as well.

Lastly a tripod No need to go overboard. Just make sure the tripod is rated at twice the weight of the scope with eyepiece (about 5.5 pounds) and you are good to go. You can even attach a small point and shoot digital camera to the eyepiece and use the cameras LCD to view the target in real time. Just get some extra batteries.

This setup above will allow you to clearly see your holes even .223 at 500 yards no problem. Again heat dissipation from the ground on hot days will be your enemy not this scope when trying to see distant holes. Make sure you buy the scope I linked to, the astronomical version will show the target inverted - upside down and be quite confusing. The one listed above has a right angle that corrects this for visual earthly observing.

BTW the power or zoom of this scope is driven by the eyepiece, using the one I listed of 8-24mm will give you a zoom range of 52x to 156x and will simply blow away even high end spotting scopes. You just have to use one to see what I mean.
    :thumbsup: definitely in my price range...Thanks!

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I started out going to Cresap, using the cheap and well worn spotting scopes they provided at each rifle station for out to 100yds. When I bought my Konus, it was a step up and once again it's immediate use is out to 100yds at Berwyn. Other than the cheap legs, it works just fine for my needs. If it got dropped on concrete, I would expect to be buying another. It gets carried in my rangebag with just the plastic cover and seems to be holding up just fine.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Biff, Creedmore Sports makes the Ray-Vin under license now and their own Polecat is a nice stand as well.

Yes I was aware that Creedmoor is selling the Ray-Vin, but the poles are aluminum, thus lighter than stainless.
    Thanks

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I started out going to Cresap, using the cheap and well worn spotting scopes they provided at each rifle station for out to 100yds. When I bought my Konus, it was a step up and once again it's immediate use is out to 100yds at Berwyn. Other than the cheap legs, it works just fine for my needs. If it got dropped on concrete, I would expect to be buying another. It gets carried in my rangebag with just the plastic cover and seems to be holding up just fine.

Also Note that Mine which i just got, came with a different tripod than Todbiker's. Mine is a little more sturdy and i think nicer. I assume any you buy now will have the same as mine.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA

I have the Konuspot 80. On a windy day at AGC a couple of years ago, it blew off the table and onto the concrete. Didn't hurt it a bit.

Also, cool note... I have used my Konuspot 80 for stargazing. I can have clearly seen a row of dots with jupiter (moons) and Saturns rings.

Rob

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    I have the Konuspot 80. On a windy day at AGC a couple of years ago, it blew off the table and onto the concrete. Didn't hurt it a bit.

Rob

I'm glad to hear, you were much luckier than someone I know. In case you don't have one Creedmoor Sports makes a spotting scope cover that will fit your scope. There is an opening so the case stays on when the scope is mounted on a stand or tripod.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I can't see .223 holes in standard targets, but the shoot-n-see targets give a yellow splatter against the black background. They show up pretty well.

I use a 3x9x40 at 200 yards with a shoot-n-see target without a problem. Midway has them on sale quite often. It is polite to staple them and not stick them to the big targets, unless you staple a blank piece of paper over the big targets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom