• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    So the lady sees them several times & still let's her cat run loose. Once it's killed, she wants the coyotes trapped and put in someone elses backyard. Nice.

Blissful stupidity, there.

I would tell this woman that what she saw done to her cat, was no worse than what her cat had probably done to hundreds of other wild creatures, in its life as an "outdoor cat".

Unless you live on a farm and need them for rodent control, keep your damned cats inside where they belong. And if you don't, don't cry when someday little Fluffy becomes part of the "circle of life".

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Blissful stupidity, there.

I would tell this woman that what she saw done to her cat, was no worse than what her cat had probably done to hundreds of other wild creatures, in its life as an "outdoor cat".

Unless you live on a farm and need them for rodent control, keep your damned cats inside where they belong. And if you don't, don't cry when someday little Fluffy becomes part of the "circle of life".

I was thinking something similar reading the article. What kind of sterile fantasy world does she think she lives in where nature doesn't exist? A yote rips her cat, birds, and rabbits apart and she want's them eliminated from their natural habitat?

Yotes are all over the place in western howard county. My buddy lives out in the clarksville area next to a farm. When we have bonfires there at night, you can hear the yotes barking away and rustling about in the field.

In severn I haven't seen a coyote, but I've seen a ton of foxes while walking stoney. Two weeks ago, one was chasing something around in circles in the field under the new water tower they just put up. I lit the fox up with the protac hl and it ran off into the little woods it could find.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Those same people drop their "unwanted & we won't care for/spend their own $$" cats on our farm because they think we need them...their unvaccinated, overpopulating, fur balls.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    It's from a Moultrie. Not exactly sure what model though (it's a big brown one...:lol:). If you noticed, that picture is from 2008.

If there is any shade though, this particular camera takes an infrared pic, even in the middle of the day. Seriously, 99% of all the pics from this thing are infrared.

xd49c...what brand & model of camera is that. I like the pressure reading that's displayed. Thanks.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Those same people drop their "unwanted & we won't care for/spend their own $$" cats on our farm because they think we need them...their unvaccinated, overpopulating, fur balls.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Coyotes and bobcats doing a fine job of feral cat cleanup. There was an article in the York Daily Record a couple weeks ago about some cat lady all upset at coyotes eating her cats. I know a guy who was trying to hunt coyote and he called in a feral black cat that was then pounced on and killed and taken away by a bobcat.

We lost a great cat last dec. He was an excellent mouser, but sometimes liked to wander a little, and he liked to tease our dogs. I'm thinking he ran into a coyote, went up a tree, and came down after not seeing the coyote for a while, but the coyote was waiting hidden, and when he came down, he got pounced on. Don't be a cat that teases coyotes. I'm not really mad at coyotes, mad at the cat for being stupid. However he could have been grabbed by a coyote next to the house for all we know. The foxes have never been shy about coming up around the house, why should a coyote be? Now if only a coyote got into the dog yard and the 4 big dogs cornered it- just as what happened last year with 1 red fox. I can see it now- dad goes to mow the dog yard, stops mid mow and comes to me " Steph- there's a dead coyote in the dog yard!". OMG

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    With the deer explosion we're having right now, I'm not at all surprised that coyotes are now in this area. I grew up in west Texas and had plenty of sightings. True, plenty of ranchers hate them, but I always thought they were pretty amazing animals. I live next to Compass Point now so I will be keeping a better eye out for them now as I'm sure they're in the trees here.

Chiaroscuro

Far from the Usual
    Jun 27, 2012
    Glen Arm
    The way "they" are clear cutting woods in AA county for more ticky-tacky houses, the more the critters are going to be seen. No habitat to run/live in, except your backyard.
    And that goes for all types of critters.

Damn shame from my point of view...

R

While we are overtaking their habitat, I think in a lot of ways they are quite pleased with us... The deer get a fertilized sprinkler watered buffet, the coyotes and foxes get to reap the rewards of the bunny population, and when that fails there is enough trash around to keep their bellies full.

Coyotes will hunt other predators to eliminate the competition so cats and dogs are at risk.

Not normal to see a fox milling around in the daytime. If you see one in the day use caution.

This, in my experience living in a park for the past 6 years, is actually more myth than reality. We frequently see foxes during the daylight hours. It often depends on the weather and the availability of food. When fox wishes to be seen, fox will be seen. Otherwise, you'll never know fox was there. The same is true of the deer, plenty of times they are out in broad daylight.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Coyotes see cats as food, and dogs as competition. They also see foxes as competition, which is why there were alot fewer in my trapping area, and at least the 5 healthy looking dead foxes found. I found 1, the guy who shot the coyote in 2010 and saw the bobcat grab the cat saw one, and another guy who was having a weasel kill all his chickens told me he found THREE dead red foxes around his farm. No signs of being shot. No necropsies- foxes were kinda icky when found.

You will see more and more foxes in suburbia as this goes on. They try to avoid the coyotes by living under your shed. At some point the farmland foxes will either learn how to live with coyotes the best they can, or the coyotes will totally wipe them out except for the suburbia hole under the shed ones. Coyotes carry parvo virus and grey fox are highly susceptible to it, so you may see a decline in them too. The mange that coyotes get is transferable to dogs. Coyotes, wolves, dogs, jackals, are all related by genus canis. The latin name of the coyote is canis- latrans which means "barking dog". You can never eradicate all coyotes, they are like big furry roaches LOL. The Aztecs word for them is coyotl which means "god's dog". Coyote is also a trickster- learn from him. Don't attach yourself to a rocket and light the fuse.

rockstarrob

Junior Zombie
    Jul 30, 2009
    Fox in the daylight isn't nearly as alarming as a Raccoon. Had some larger canine looking animals here at night in northern rural Bel Air but haven't heard howling or anything so could be stray dogs or mutant foxes.

Chiaroscuro

Far from the Usual
    Jun 27, 2012
    Glen Arm
    Fox in the daylight isn't nearly as alarming as a Raccoon. Had some larger canine looking animals here at night in northern rural Bel Air but haven't heard howling or anything so could be stray dogs or mutant foxes.

Eastern Coyotes don't run in packs and howl the same way that western coyotes do, which is why so many people are unaware they are here.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Eastern coyotes are sneaky and extra smart due to having some wolf in them. There are some weird wolves up in Quebec, and it is well known the endangered red wolf breeds with coyotes. Everywhere else, wolves will kill a coyote every chance they can.

I still can't figure these eastern coyotes out. Trappers tell me they are almost as easy to catch as foxes, but you have to have a more blended set and be more scent concious. These damned things can outwit me but not learn about running across a road when a car is coming. They also send skunks and possums to get in my carefully made sets. LOL I once complained on a PA trapper forum that red foxes kept getting into my coyote sets.

rockstarrob

Junior Zombie
    Jul 30, 2009
    Eastern Coyotes don't run in packs and howl the same way that western coyotes do, which is why so many people are unaware they are here.
    Eastern coyotes are sneaky and extra smart due to having some wolf in them. There are some weird wolves up in Quebec, and it is well known the endangered red wolf breeds with coyotes. Everywhere else, wolves will kill a coyote every chance they can.

I still can't figure these eastern coyotes out. Trappers tell me they are almost as easy to catch as foxes, but you have to have a more blended set and be more scent concious. These damned things can outwit me but not learn about running across a road when a car is coming. They also send skunks and possums to get in my carefully made sets. LOL I once complained on a PA trapper forum that red foxes kept getting into my coyote sets.
    That makes sense. I do know I've seen them in PA and around the ATC on 136 on Deer Creek. Maybe we do have some around more suburban areas. I know walking my dog we've encountered something too far off to identify that doesn't want us near it. Every time we see it the dog and I both pause and we stare at it from a good distance and first move it darts into the darkness. Definitely larger than a Fox. I've noticed our neighborhood Foxes have dimensioned. We had a borough right beside our place and I think it's totally inactive now. I know about where the mystery animal is running between two houses because the dog freaks out when we go by it, she definitely wants to find it when she catches a whiff ...but she also wants to eat everything that lives.

rockstarrob

Junior Zombie
    Jul 30, 2009
    Sort of on topic, which I almost forgot. If anyone is traveling through Indiana near "Battle Ground" there is a place called Wolf Park, easily the coolest thing in IN not to mention they have Coyotes, a couple breeds of Foxes and Wolfs.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    LoL aren't we all!

I hunt a farm just south of Edge Water and there are 2 different coyotes running the farm. It backs up to government land and I think they spend most of there time there along with some big bucks we have on camera but never see...

Someone told me they saw a coyote at the WaWa in Edgewater other morning going through the trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom