Well Crap ---> My RCBS Hand Priming Tool Broke....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Since I reload so many different calibers (often in small batches) -my RCBS 90201 Universal Hand Priming Tool has been rode hard for over ten years. It's a great tool, but nothing lasts forever. :sad20:

For folks who are not familiar with this tool, the design is simple: A spring wraps around the jaws that hold the shell in position while the ram delivers a primer.

Today one of the posts that holds the wrap-around spring let go. In the pics below it looks like the entire shell holder assembly will need to be rebuilt. Gonna need a small "correct size" hex wrench to get the assembly apart. In the meantime the screws are being soaked in Liquid Wrench.

Last time I had an RCBS tool break I called them and they sent the parts I needed N/C. We'll see if they're still great folks. :thumbsup:

Like I said, nothing lasts forever. A couple of weeks ago my old tumbler died. Last week my replacement tumbler arrived. I got my backlog of cases all cleaned, but priming them will have to wait...

Equipment failure isn't a big deal to me anymore. Sh!t happens. We reloaders fix it and move on.

It's always something, right?

:shrug:

Attachments

• DSC00481 SNIP.jpg
      DSC00481 SNIP.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 315
    • DSC00480 SNIP.jpg
      DSC00480 SNIP.jpg
      42.5 KB · Views: 332
    • DSC00482 SNIP.jpg
      DSC00482 SNIP.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 330

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    That sucks...but after ten years of hard service :shrug:

I got one recently...maybe Christmas or Birthday? Whichever it was, I didn't pay for it...but had I known how much simpler it would have made my life compared to constantly changing shell holders:sad20:...I'd have bought myself one long ago.:o

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    two months I wore some parts out on the other style of hand primer they make, they sent new parts gratis.

I'm going to bet that your replacement parts arrive free of charge.

^^^ This is my bet too. :thumbsup:

Sure the tool has been used a lot, but never abused. When the plastic primer tray holders wore out and cracked a few years ago RCBS sent me new ones.

My expectation is RCBS will walk me through the repair process and replacement parts will arrive N/C . That's usually how it works.

RCBS always supports their products no matter how old they are...

:thumbsup:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    RCBS will send you replacement parts, it does kinda suck
    though, but always have a backup, got one ain't used it
    yet, tried one out not to bad, figured to when my ole
    round (yellowed) tray Lee Autoprimes fail, not.. going strong
    for many years and got about a few for backups so no hurry.
    And always have "spare parts" when needed....

-Rock

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Repair and rebuild of the RCBS priming tool looks pretty simple. The shell holder assembly is straightforward. Once the post that holds the spring in place broke off, that was the end of my case priming session.

I plan to call RCBS' customer service tomorrow. My bet is they will send me all the shell holder assembly parts no charge. :fingerscrossed:

We'll see...

;)

Attachments

• DSC00540.jpg
      DSC00540.jpg
      57 KB · Views: 205
    • DSC00541.jpg
      DSC00541.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 199

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Then drill and tap the old plate where the post broke off install a set screw of the appropriate length, or a bolt and cut to length. and you will have a spare for the next time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've got a Lee hand primer I'm not going to use Joe. Maybe to ride you over til you hear back from RCBS. I'm planning on coming up this weekend, weather permitting, I can bring it along if you like.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've got a Lee hand primer I'm not going to use Joe. Maybe to ride you over til you hear back from RCBS. I'm planning on coming up this weekend, weather permitting, I can bring it along if you like.

Thanks for the offer, but not necessary. I have several other ways to prime cases. It'll be great to see you make a cameo appearance at a Hooligan shoot... :party29:

As expected, RCBS is sending me repair parts at no charge... :thumbsup::D

Then drill and tap the old plate where the post broke off install a set screw of the appropriate length, or a bolt and cut to length. and you will have a spare for the next time.

Great minds think alike. Already got a temp fix done. I drilled through the plate and JB Welded a piece of nail to replace the post. It works perfectly!

:D

Attachments

• Temp Fix Capture.jpg
      Temp Fix Capture.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 77

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis