• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have software that goes out and slurps data from gunbot.net periodically. One statistic I collect is the best price per round for 22LR. When I started collecting the data before Trump was elected, it was about 8 cents per round, best price for 22LR. Now it is 4 cents per round.

Best price is; I collect from gunbot, for that day, ALL listed deals, get the price per round, and show the minimum. I also save a link to the vendor.

One reason I am interested in 22LR prices is, to me, it is an indicator of how worried shooters are about regulation, since it's really easy to hoard 22LR.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've been too busy buying up the discounted firearms to even think about what the ammo prices have been doing. It's good to know that the prices are still coming down.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I think it’s been happening across the board with most, if not all, ammo. I’ve been finding some really decent deals lately and not just sales. I’m talking about the regular prices that companies have been selling for. It can keep dropping as far as I’m concerned. I’ll keep buying as my budget allows and not concern myself with the awesome sales and deals that come around every now and then.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Down but not nearly enough. Still kinda pricey for what it is. Won't stop me from hoarding it when the itch strikes, though. :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    True - it use to be 7 years ago that the going price 4 cents a round, and the best price more like 1.

But in 7 years the price of brass and lead have gone up. This has to be remembered. Lead is getting rather expensive due to the lack of open mines in the US.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That's what I do. Five to ten boxes every now and then, especially when Cabela's has it on sale.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I think the best part if this whole lower price thing, is you no longer have to "settle" for inferior ammo. I still have 3 boxes of Winchester white 333 boxes, and some Remington Goldens that I need to get through, (while holding my nose) before I can get into my Federal "Target" stuff.

Of course CCI seems to be the best in all my rifles, runs clean and goes bang every time. It has come down in price "some".

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I think the best part if this whole lower price thing, is you no longer have to "settle" for inferior ammo. I still have 3 boxes of Winchester white 333 boxes, and some Remington Goldens that I need to get through, (while holding my nose) before I can get into my Federal "Target" stuff.

Of course CCI seems to be the best in all my rifles, runs clean and goes bang every time. It has come down in price "some".

I have found this true as well.

Tried many 22lr variations. The Aguila will not feed in my 10/22 25rd mags or buck mark 10 rd mags at all. The rounds are very sticky and maybe even slightly oversize brass.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Yes, but I've heard of a lot of people having duds. The companies are polishing their rounds, but when you pull the trigger and it goes CLUNK instead of BANG!! I think it's better to buy better brands. When the gun goes CLUNK, I've seen a lot of guys just pull out the round and examine it. It's a good way to lose part of your fingers if it's a delayed discharge. It's best to wait about twenty seconds. I've seen lots of hangfires in pistols like the Jennings J-22, Sterlings and other striker-fired junk pistols (though I have a very well behaved J-22).

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    Still not where it should be. Even during the “shortage” I was able to buy at .04 per rd at the big box stores when they had their specials. The last place you wanted to buy was from the gougers at the shows. I hope they are choking on their remaining inventory. But in any event buy cheap, stack deep.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I mentioned this in another thread but if this proposal gets any traction, I bet we'll see another run on ammo and run up on prices....

The bill, H.R. 5103, does the following:

• Doubles the federal excise tax on pistols and revolvers, from 10 percent to 20 percent.
    • Nearly doubles the federal excise tax on shotguns and rifles, raising it from 11 percent up to 20 percent.
    • Nearly quintuples the federal excise tax on ammunition, raising it from 11 percent up to 50 percent.
    The bill is sponsored by Chicago-area Congressman Danny Davis (D-Ill.) and has nine co-sponsors, all Democrats.
    Proposed bills like this clearly infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. If sustained by corrupt courts, the government could control virtually anything through excessive taxation.

I don't think this has a prayer of passing and if passed, I don't think the courts would uphold it.

You can pretty much guess where Maryland's representatives would come down on such a bill...hmmmm.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Proposed bills like this clearly infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. If sustained by corrupt courts, the government could control virtually anything through excessive taxation.

I don't think this has a prayer of passing and if passed, I don't think the courts would uphold it.

You can pretty much guess where Maryland's representatives would come down on such a bill...hmmmm.

That is *exactly* how the NFA works, and that's been in place since 1934. I wouldn't hold my breath on laws like that getting struck down as unconstitutional, though that may change in the wake of Heller with there now being a clear and specific protection for arms "in common use" for self defense.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The runs on ammo or causes of panic buying won't be the legislation bring enacted. It will start when the DISCUSSION and/or bills start lining up in Congress, regardless of whether the bills get passed or not.

Panic buying/hoarding will start from rumors and perceived fears. Waiting for the rumors to become facts or the perceived fears to be actualized is too late to get the best product, prices or availability.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The runs on ammo or causes of panic buying won't be the legislation bring enacted. It will start when the DISCUSSION and/or bills start lining up in Congress, regardless of whether the bills get passed or not.

Panic buying/hoarding will start from rumors and perceived fears. Waiting for the rumors to become facts or the perceived fears to be actualized is too late to get the best product, prices or availability.

Once the supplies on store shelves get a little thin then full PANIC mode sets in and will take years to return to normal. You need to stock at least one "ammo panic" worth of everything you shoot. Stock deep while it is cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom