• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Hello all, i was hoping to get some clarification on AR pistols in Maryland.

What exactly do i need in term of paperwork to buy a AR lower from a MD gun store, with the intent of building a AR pistol? I read conflicting information about this... Wondering if i need a HQL since the 77r form seems to ask for it.

Please check if i understand the rest:
    AR lower must NOT start as a rifle (so bare lower makes the process easier).
    No fix/collapse stock, but arm braces are allowed and can be shouldered.
    No vertical grips, but angled grips are allowed.
    Barrel length/caliber doesn't matter.

Thank you :)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Don't need the HQL for an AR15 lower and Yes the lower can never have been assembled as a rifle before. Buy a stripped lower and make sure the FFL lists it as "other" and you should be good to go. Not 100% about your other concerns.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And once you have purchased the lower, you can then use it to apply for an HQL with the training exemption as you now possess a regulated firearm per the statute

5-117.1

Winner

Attachments

• hql.jpg
      hql.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 598

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    On the 77R, look for the HQL exemption checkbox. One of the choices should be "buying receiver only", or similar wording. Receivers are exempt from the HQL but still have to go through a 77R.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks Outrider58. I would have bet a folding anything would not be allowed on a pistol build.
    The operational word hear is 'stock'. Pistols, by definition, can't and don't have stocks. Ergo, no stock to fold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    All,

My question is slightly different than the OPs. If one goes through an FFL in MD to buy a DD M4V7P 300 BLK with the LAW folding arm brace, does the flash hider need to be removed first?

It is not specifically listed on the prohibited items list. My confusion is around the law always speaking about RIFLES with two “assault weapon” features. An AR pistol is clearly not a rifle...and some people may not pay attention to such subtleties. Does anyone on here keep a printed copy of MD law in their weapon case / on their person at all times (just in case)?

This is the specific item in question:
    https://danieldefense.com/firearms/daniel-defenser-ddm4v7p-law-tactical-300-blackout-mil-spec.html

My thanks in advance. I’ve seen some really great discussions in this forum. Thx!!

Last edited by a moderator:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    All,

My question is slightly different than the OPs. If one goes through an FFL in MD to buy a DD M4V7P 300 BLK with the LAW folding arm brace, does the flash hider need to be removed first?

It is not specifically listed on the prohibited items list. My confusion is around the law always speaking about RIFLES with two “assault weapon” features. An AR pistol is clearly not a rifle...and some people may not pay attention to such subtleties. Does anyone on here keep a printed copy of MD law in their weapon case / on their person at all times (just in case)?

This is the specific item in question:
    https://danieldefense.com/firearms/daniel-defenser-ddm4v7p-law-tactical-300-blackout-mil-spec.html

My thanks in advance. I’ve seen some really great discussions in this forum. Thx!!

Your link didn't work for me, but since you said "folding arm brace", we're assuming you are looking at a pistol. You should be fine as is. The law states "folding stocks" I believe. Pistols, by their nature, don't have stocks. My personal interpretation is a folding buffer tube is legal. Brace or no brace, it is still not a stock. Keep the flash hider.
    IANAL

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Daniel Defense website is down at the moment so I'm not 100% sure which one this is.

If the question is "Does anyone on here keep a printed copy of MD law in their weapon case / on their person at all times (just in case)?" - no

If the question is "If one goes through an FFL in MD to buy a DD M4V7P 300 BLK with the LAW folding arm brace, does the flash hider need to be removed first? " - no. the Copycat provision applies to rifles, not pistols. FFLs are aware of the law and wont transfer an illegal gun (or mags).

Please though make sure this is on the handgun roster which applies to pistols. I am assuming that you have an HQL. I think that the Daniel Defense DDM V7P is on the roster, I think I have seen it. But make sure you check with FFL and they can find this model is well.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 P AR pistol is on the roster, I just checked. There are two models #s listed, you would have to check with your FFL whether these cover the AR pistol in question is post #16

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom