• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I do, but a guy with a lot of experience was telling me not to for the fact that it will wear the spring out.

First time I've heard that, not saying he's wrong, just that I've never heard it

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Good/Properly made springs do not wear out under load. They wear out from compression and decompression (AKA, being USED). A Mag thats topped off for 40 years will not make a spring fail unless extreme heat, extreme cold, or corrosion become a factor.

The spring may take a set after being loaded to max, but that in the design paramaters of the springs when they are developed and manufactured.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I think the general consensus is that exercising them is what wears them out but leaving them compressed wont hurt them, I would like to note though that I left a single checkmate M9 magazine loaded for one year because I lost it and later discovered it was in the bottom of my ruck and when I unloaded the first round the ones below it just sat there and when I flipped it over they literally fell out. This may have been due to a magazine malfunction or just dirt and grime but I never fired that mag so I really couldnt say what it was or if it was corrected after cleaning but it fealt fine later on. (the follower did push up behind the last few rounds but it did not seem strong at all)

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Good/Properly made springs do not wear out under load. They wear out from compression and decompression (AKA, being USED). A Mag thats topped off for 40 years will not make a spring fail unless extreme heat, extreme cold, or corrosion become a factor.

This must have been the case in my scenario because the ones in my safe at home never do that.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Good to hear, I was thinking the same thing about usage wearing them out, not loaded and waiting

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I do, but a guy with a lot of experience was telling me not to for the fact that it will wear the spring out.

First time I've heard that, not saying he's wrong, just that I've never heard it

Go belt fed and never have to worry about magazine springs again. :lol2:

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Military mags are good fully loaded. Commercial mags of dubious spring quality I down load 1 round per 10 of capacity.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE

The spring may take a set after being loaded to max, but that in the design paramaters of the springs when they are developed and manufactured.

What he said......:lol::innocent0

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Feed lips can bend under pressure. That's why I like Magpul's caps. I think they say you can keep them loaded and stored two years at a time without issue.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I roll "combat loaded". Full mag plus one in the chamber. Have never had problems feeding with quality magazines.

However I have some Beretta 20-round 93R magazines that I use in my 92FS, and the springs are REAL stiff. Even after shooting several full mags through it, the top round in the mag will usually stop the slide, and the recoil spring is not worn, less than 2500 rounds in this pistol. I just tap the back, and it feeds that round, then all the rest feed just fine.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ittle get a set, I keep a few fully loaded handy.

That said some mags like aluminum AR15 mags wills splay feedlips. But PMAGS are a great solution

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    because with some guns the upward spring pressure can stop the bolt/slide from functioning and the -1 round fixes that 99% of the time. I know my glock sure doesnt do this though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom