• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Usually, you canoe down a mile or so of fantastic scenery and fishing, go to shore, pull your boat up to the canal and paddle back.
    PROBLEM- Canal has no water in it now.
    We will only fish the upper areas, my shoulder is shot, I can't do what I did as a Youth - then we will pull the canoe back up over the initial rubble, then paddle home.
    Done it dozens of times.

I'm guessing 5 PM at Violette's. Friday 7/5 - I am in the long Yellow OldTown Tripper. Canoes and kayaks only. Bait I use -
    Gary Yamamoto D/T in pumpkin or green.
    I have done this run for 30 years..... You do need a fishing license and Life Preserver.
    I start by going over the initial scree and park my canoe at the end by hanging up on rocks on purpose. I do this always here. I start casting. You have not really stirred up the hole... YET.
    Give this 10 minutes at least. Drop into the hole and anchor and stay 1/2 hour.
    Patience. These first holes are pretty large at level 3.4.

So the issues are -
    How to drop over that initial scree - (I am in the back, I get out and manhandle the canoe over, then hop in. Never had a problem. If the water is really low, you both get out and carry.
    If it's high, I do not have to get out.)

FROM THEN ON, it is safe technical boating.
    AND Technical Fishing.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Usually, you canoe down a mile or so of fantastic scenery and fishing, go to shore, pull your boat up to the canal and paddle back.
    PROBLEM- Canal has no water in it now.
    We will only fish the upper areas, my shoulder is shot, I can't do what I did as a Youth - then we will pull the canoe back up over the initial rubble, then paddle home.
    Done it dozens of times.

I'm guessing 5 PM at Violette's. Friday 7/5 - I am in the long Yellow OldTown Tripper. Canoes and kayaks only. Bait I use -
    Gary Yamamoto D/T in pumpkin or green.
    I have done this run for 30 years..... You do need a fishing license and Life Preserver.
    I start by going over the initial scree and park my canoe at the end by hanging up on rocks on purpose. I do this always here. I start casting. You have not really stirred up the hole... YET.
    Give this 10 minutes at least. Drop into the hole and anchor and stay 1/2 hour.
    Patience. These first holes are pretty large at level 3.4.

So the issues are -
    How to drop over that initial scree - (I am in the back, I get out and manhandle the canoe over, then hop in. Never had a problem. If the water is really low, you both get out and carry.
    If it's high, I do not have to get out.)

FROM THEN ON, it is safe technical boating.
    AND Technical Fishing.

I was out there 2 Sundays ago, put in at the Seneca Creek boat landing. The police were out telling those on the water to stay over on the MD side of the river, Trump was playing golf that day at his course on the VA side.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I was out there 2 Sundays ago, put in at the Seneca Creek boat landing. The police were out telling those on the water to stay over on the MD side of the river, Trump was playing golf that day at his course on the VA side.

Tell the police it's all the Maryland side.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Where is the dividing line in non tidal waters?

Traditional high-water mark on opposite shore if MD owns the river (which they do with the Potomac). In short, as high as the water can get on the opposite bank before it becomes "Flood Stage" on the USGS gauges. It's case law and precedence has been set.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I would tell them to pound sand if I wanted to fish on that side.
    WTF is going on? Me in a canoe with a friend are a danger? How unrealistic is this? For anyone who has been there,
    you know what I am saying. I really couldn't charge up the riverbank, Paddle in hand, to ....
    I would be pissed. WAY out of hand.
    DID THEY CLEAN UP THE LOGS FROM THE TREES THEY ILLEGALLY CUT?????
    AT TRUMP NATIONAL?????

I like Trump, not the horseshit .

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    FSCWI -
    I was out there 2 Sundays ago, put in at the Seneca Creek boat landing. The police were out telling those on the water to stay over on the MD side of the river, Trump was playing golf that day at his course on the VA si
    Were you canoeing, Kayaking, Jon Boat???

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If in a Kayak or Canoe, you need a Whistle as well.
    I didn't know that, until DNR pulled me and friends over in my canoe.
    The Officer GAVE ME and every other 'offender' a whistle, and only a warning.
    Over Memorial Day, VERY COOL Officer!
    I'm glad I know the law. How could we ever know that? Do they send you the fishing rules when you buy your license?
    AN un - registered canoe - how are you to be informed about the regs?

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    OK, it's set. 5 30 on Friday. I can help you catch fish here!
    I know the area quite well!
    C'Mon!

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If anyone goes........first rule, don't be late LOL
    Ok I get it. Why not show up and I will expertly guide you to catch some BIGGUNS!
    Just be on time, please.
    The least some beggar could do is show up on time.
    That's how I put that. They caught nothing.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    This is also a great place for you fishermen /women to wade fish at levels below 3 feet on the Little Falls gauge.
    You can basically walk across the river at the top, then drop in where you like, rock hop, put the rod in your teeth and swim to the next boulder.
    Level now is 3.9, it's a bit high for what we want to do as well.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Years ago I used to float from Viollettes to Pennifield all the time, just have two vehicles, one at put in and one at take out. You can fish a lot more of the river that way.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I've never done your run,Build - because I would usually go alone to Violettes.
    and at the end of the 1 mile, I would carry my canoe up to the canal, and canoe back up the canal up to my car.
    Now that the canal looks like low or no water...........
    I would not trust the canal for water now.
    Will talk with my buddy about a Pennyfield Take out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom