Did Irene compel you to buy a generator?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you buy a generator this week?

• Yes, I bought a generator

Votes: 26 11.5%
    • No, I already had a generator

Votes: 103 45.6%
    • No, but I wish I had...

Votes: 40 17.7%
    • No, and I still have no intention of buying one

Votes: 57 25.2%

• Total voters

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Here is an option for generators. I use aviation gas in my small engines. It has lead in it, so it can't be used in anything with a catalytic converter. It is more expensive than regular gas, but it has no alcohol. You do not need to add a fuel stabilizer to it. The sad fact is that many gas-burning airplanes fly only a few times per year, if that much. The gas is formulated to be very stable, doesn't vary from season to season and is unlikely to gum up carbs. Most airports have a self-service pump where you can fill up some gas cans.

There is still some regular automobile gasoline which is formulated for aviation use. Some airplanes can use car gas, but since the approval for that came before alcohol was blended in, airports truck in special automobile gas without the alcohol. Boaters look for that, because the alcohol tears up older marine engines. Unfortunately, that formulation is not available in the Baltimore area. The last time I checked for a boating friend, it was available on the Shore.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've thought about it but being honest about it, I've only been without power for a few hours the 8+ years I've lived here. I'm also not sure where I'd set it up.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Yes, paid for a EU2000i. No, did not receive it yet, despite their assurances via phone that they'd stay into the night until the last person took delivery.
    And they charged me (and I paid) a couple hundred over what competitors were selling them for. My bad, but hey Honda Powersports of Crofton: :kicknuts:

At least you could've made sure I got the damn thing.

The tractor trailer broke down that was going to crofton

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Boaters look for that, because the alcohol tears up older marine engines. Unfortunately, that formulation is not available in the Baltimore area. The last time I checked for a boating friend, it was available on the Shore.

The problem with alcohol and boats is that some boats were built with gas tanks that can be melted by alcohol.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I had to go get my father in laws running for him - dead battery, gummy gas, and fuel shut off was in off position. His idle control doesn't work either. He did keep Sta-Bil in the tank, and the battery on a trickle charger. He bought it and used it before Isabelle.

ok- folks - with the smaller portable generators, how are you protecting them from the storm elements when you are using them? I have heard several stories over the years of people sticking them in their attached garages, and getting CO1 poisoning.

Good question. When I use mine it's on the back deck or ground next to deck. During snowmageden I layed a piece of plywood on top by laying it over the handle and the deck rail. A cinderblock on top and good to go.

During a rain storm like this I think I would need to figure out how to protect it more. Maybe a tarp on top of the plywood coming down to the deck and held in place with blocks? dunno

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I've thought about it but being honest about it, I've only been without power for a few hours the 8+ years I've lived here. I'm also not sure where I'd set it up.

I bet you would figure it out if you ever needed to. :D

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The problem with alcohol and boats is that some boats were built with gas tanks that can be melted by alcohol.

Thats only one problem for some boats. Most of us are dealing with the alcohol's nature of sucking moisture into the fuel. water and 2 cycle engines don't mix well. There is also the problem of the alcohol eating away at seals and such that are not designed for it.
    I have an echo leaf blower that is on it's 3rd fueltank gromet because of the alcohol. Now our goberment wants to increase the acohol to 15%. :sad20:
    That would create lots of business and maybe thats the plan since the politicians would not be paying the bill. Boat motor and small eng. manufactures already said they would warrenty no motor if 15% is issued.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I"ll be looking at generators that people are selling. I'd like to know if it would be possible to link one of the smaller ones into the circuit panel instead of running extension cords to specific devices. Cut off the circuits that you can't or don't want to power then power up the generator.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009

It is similar with airplanes. While I am not aware of tanks that would melt, some of the fittings and flexible tubing is vulnerable. The estrogen-based life forms are far more worried about a light twin being smeared across Towson than you being stuck on the Bay. Hence, a gas for aviation, and not one for boats.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    In my area of Reisterstown, we lose power all the time. I got a generator second hand this summer, just because it was available.

A smart thing I did was get the personal hotspot feature enabled on my iPhone. Now with the generator, the fridge is cold, the coffee's hot, and the internet is ON!!!

In my area of Reisterstown, we have only lost power twice in 21 years, once someone drove into one of the green boxes and the other Comcast cut the underground lines.

I will be watching craigslist for any deals in the next couple weeks

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I bought one after (forgot what storm) several years ago. Have used it several times since then for outages from T-Storms, Snowstorms and Hurricaine/Tropical Storms.

Also came in handy for several other things where I needed portable power.

Not a Honda, but a Troy Built 5500 watt with an overhead valve Tecumseh engine.

Quiet (cheap paid less than $600) at Lowes several years back.

Best $$$ Prepardness money (other than guns) that I ever spent!

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    We've been thinking about getting one for years but Irene made us pull the trigger on one. We don't lose power very often and when we do it's not out long. We wanted one for the SHTF scenario:D mainly.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Well, the genny I bought ~5 years ago is running once again........up here in NH some moose must have farted or run into a telephone pole and knocked out power because it certainly couldn't have been the 20-25 mph winds we're seeing.

Freakin rediculous. :sad20:

We have thunderstorms on a regular basis that are WAY worse and we never lose power........

The 550 I spent on the genny was money well spent.

Next step is to get my hands on an old 1 cyl listeroid diesel, hook it up to a genset and park it in the basement......pipe the exhaust to the outside and run a fuel line from the furnace oil tank to it and fuggettouboutit!

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Over the last few years BGE finally started cutting trees away from their lines. It's made a huge difference. We have an eu2000 and that thing's been fantastic the few times we've needed it. But, I'm tempted to get another either for more power here, or as a loaner in case one of the family's croaks. 2 is 1... and all that.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Alcohol does not necessarily suck moisture into the fuel; in fact, it is used to absorb water that's already there, and make it mix with the fuel.

The downside of alcohol is the damage it does to rubber seals, and apparently plastic boat fuel tanks. The auto gas used in aviation has to be alcohol-free to be both legal and safe.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    ...I have not put any gas in it yet. How long can i let it sit? It's in my garage with a dehumidifier running....

except for the battery dying, I'd say you might get away with 8y+. I just did, and mine was on blocks in a garage w/ no dehumidifier nor any other prep. not recommended, I know, but it worked.:shrug:

boomboom929

Dec 13, 2008
    Rockville
    Yes, paid for a EU2000i. No, did not receive it yet, despite their assurances via phone that they'd stay into the night until the last person took delivery.
    And they charged me (and I paid) a couple hundred over what competitors were selling them for. My bad, but hey Honda Powersports of Crofton: :kicknuts:

At least you could've made sure I got the damn thing.

What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking? I picked one up from their sister store in Rockville and it was about $1,250...I think MSRP is $1,429.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking? I picked one up from their sister store in Rockville and it was about $1,250...I think MSRP is $1,429.

MSRP is $1,149.95
    http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU2000i&modelid=EU2000IKN
    They can be had for less than $1000, but I paid $1208 out the door IIRC because I like to overpay for large purchases.
    Nah, because I failed to plan, I should have planned to fail. That said, I'm ready (somewhat) for next time.
    Anyone here who doesn't have a generator but realizes a SHTF scenario could play out at anytime, especially with our earthquake and hurricane, relatively minor as they may have been, should think again.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    MSRP is $1,149.95
    http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU2000i&modelid=EU2000IKN
    They can be had for less than $1000, but I paid $1208 out the door IIRC because I like to overpay for large purchases.
    Nah, because I failed to plan, I should have planned to fail. That said, I'm ready (somewhat) for next time.
    Anyone here who doesn't have a generator but realizes a SHTF scenario could play out at anytime, especially with our earthquake and hurricane, relatively minor as they may have been, should think again.

I paid under $900 for one just short of one year ago. I think I got it from Mayberry's but I'd have to dig up the receipt. They were the best price by at least $50 if I remember correctly. Local places wanted very close to or more than MSRP, as you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom