Am I Paranoid for Finding This Suspicious?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    here's a tip...if you answer/open the door, get some shoes on...you can crack the door just enough to see the perp...im talking maybe 1/2" put your foot down in butted up against the door. make sure theres nothing slippery there. so your shoe gets a good foot hold. I dont care how big the guy is he wont be able to get the door open. this would give you enough time to figure out if he's a threat or not without revealing anything. of course make sure you are armed..

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    here's a tip...if you answer/open the door, get some shoes on...you can crack the door just enough to see the perp...im talking maybe 1/2" put your foot down in butted up against the door. make sure theres nothing slippery there. so your shoe gets a good foot hold. I dont care how big the guy is he wont be able to get the door open. this would give you enough time to figure out if he's a threat or not without revealing anything. of course make sure you are armed..

Good point...

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Light rail is Hunt Valley, which somehow is still nice. Owings Mills mall? People get robbed in the parking lot during the day.

I don't know, I have friends who live in Hunt Valley and I work in Owings Mills. A lot of the businesses in Hunt Valley noticed an increase in crime when the Light Rail moved out that way. This is unconfirmed, but a friend told me that the Hunt Valley Wal-Mart (now moved to Cockeysville/Timonium) had one of the highest loss rates (read shoplifting) in the country.

As far as OM goes, I've worked a few nights and weekends and I've never felt threatened when I ran out for a snack. I did see a verbal argument at the Royal Farm on Red Run once that made me chuckle. Someone used "Yo moma" in the argument. I was trying to keep a straight face. That being said it's a large area so you never know. Crime can happen anytime at anyplace so it's always best to be aware and be prepared.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I recommend a door chain as well. It could provide valuable seconds to draw your weapon.

I would have asked them what they wanted with the door closed. I also bring two guns with me, since I have revolvers, I bring my smaller one for FPF.

As for Hunt Valley, yes, I've read the same thing. The light rail was supposed to promote inner city people getting jobs up there, or city livers going up their to shop. It failed miserably, with the street trash finding new grounds to loot.

I believe though when Wegmans moved in, that really launched the clean up. It's a fairly nice place now.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I go to the bay window on the 2nd floor which overlooks the front door downstairs. If they just ring the bell I usually ignore them. If they pound or bang on my door I'll open the window and ask "Can I help you?" The tone of my voice dependandt on the level of banging.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Considering nothing happened, what would you tell the police? There's a scary man knocking on my door? Yeah, they'll get right on it. Now if you observed him going through your building or neighborhood, knocking on doors or looking through windows, that's another story.

No fault getting your firearm ready. I think you would have been better to have answered through the door without unlocking it, loudly say something like "Who is it?" And basically regardless of what they said, reply with a simple "No thank you" or "Sorry I can't help you." Then if they don't leave, you have reason to call police.

By not answering, you've given the impression that the apartment might be vacant during the evening hours. Burglars will often perform this type of recon ("case the joint") to find the best, most lucrative targets. If the person had criminal intent, they may return expecting an empty unit.

While chains on doors are nice, they don't provide much security as most are relatively easy to defeat, either by bolt cutters, a prybar, sturdy screwdriver, or the foot/shoulder of a moderately-sized man.

Regarding using your foot to jam the door that's been opened slightly to speak with the person.. I would advise against it. Too easy for the guy to shove a crowbar or other item into the open slot as soon as you open it. Now you'll never get the door closed, and he's all up in your OODA loop, putting you on the reactionary side of the curve.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Considering nothing happened, what would you tell the police? There's a scary man knocking on my door? Yeah, they'll get right on it. Now if you observed him going through your building or neighborhood, knocking on doors or looking through windows, that's another story.

No fault getting your firearm ready. I think you would have been better to have answered through the door without unlocking it, loudly say something like "Who is it?" And basically regardless of what they said, reply with a simple "No thank you" or "Sorry I can't help you." Then if they don't leave, you have reason to call police.

By not answering, you've given the impression that the apartment might be vacant during the evening hours. Burglars will often perform this type of recon ("case the joint") to find the best, most lucrative targets. If the person had criminal intent, they may return expecting an empty unit.

Yeah we've had casing around here, and I have had no issues making them well aware to not come back.

Regarding the rest, you have very good points... I'll take that into consideration.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Yeah we've had casing around here, and I have had no issues making them well aware to not come back.

Regarding the rest, you have very good points... I'll take that into consideration.

Roger that. Of course it's pretty darn easy for me and anyone else to armchair quarterback it the next day from the comfort of our keyboards. In the end, you gotta do what you feel most comfortable with at the time. If the hair is sticking up on your neck, sometimes not saying anything would be a better decision. Didn't mean to sound pedantic.

Hope it all helps though and stay safe. Perhaps let the landlord know, and ask for some additional exterior lighting to be installed.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Roger that. Of course it's pretty darn easy for me and anyone else to armchair quarterback it the next day from the comfort of our keyboards. In the end, you gotta do what you feel most comfortable with at the time. If the hair is sticking up on your neck, sometimes not saying anything would be a better decision. Didn't mean to sound pedantic.

Hope it all helps though and stay safe. Perhaps let the landlord know, and ask for some additional exterior lighting to be installed.

Exterior lighting is there, and to be honest, the property management doesn't give a rat's ass about anybody after signing the contract. I've threatened legal action on them to keep people from smoking in the halls, that's the only way I get things done around this dumpy ass place.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    He probably mistook your apt. for the place he was told to go and get the drugs from. Happens to the cops too from time to time.:D You did good, but keep the 45 C&L unless you have kids.

Sirex